• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

So Ferry may already be courting Phil Jackson... Hard.

ATLscrubLove

As if our hopes and dreams of getting Dwight and CP3 weren't bad enough. Now we can get our hopes up about this TOO.Ferry would basically have to give up his own job to get Phil. Probably would have to give up his first born too.

• Moderators

I think asking for the link is a legit question.

Now that the link is there and it specifically says that Atlanta is aggressively trying to sign Phil as a head coach, I think that is definitely worth of discussion. Still a long shot but more interesting than before for sure.

While we certainly appreciate you passing the info along if you're going to post a major thing like this would be it just makes sense to provide a link with it, the same as with any story.

• Moderators

Still, teams aren’t ruling out the idea Jackson will return as a coach, or in a dual role as a front-office exec and coach.

Interestingly, Jackson interviewed via phone with the Cavs in 2005 — not long before the team hired Brown. The same scenario could play out again eight years later.

Other teams [than the Cavs] are said to be interested in both candidates [brown and Jackson], with Atlanta mentioned most. The Hawks are run by former Cavs general manager Danny Ferry.

I'll need more before I get too excited but it explicitly says Atlanta is interested in Jackson.

"I've had some talks with people and there are some interesting situations that are presenting themselves, but I really haven't made up my mind yet what I'm going to do," said Jackson. "None of it involves coaching. ... There are three or four teams that have been interested."

Jackson last coached the Los Angeles Lakers in the 2011 NBA Playoffs.

Jackson said he would be interested in a developing team "where you'd have the influence in (selecting the) coaching staff and the kind of culture that goes along with it. It goes all the way down to - not down to, but includes - trainers and the people who are doing the hands-on work with players, that have to be really embedded with how you put a team together. ... The support group is important; guys who get an opportunity to hear and talk and influence the players.

"It would be a real opportunity to implant the game, a culture that I believe in - that's the intriguing part."

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/227361/Phil-Jackson-Has-Talked-To-3-4-Teams-About-Front-Office-Role

The link that RealGM provides requires a subscription so I cannot confirm any of these quotes. If true though, it sounds precisely the same as what Ferry has been preaching with his "culture change" and Atlanta seems like a destination that is just apt for his arrival. Can't imagine how he'd work out details with Ferry's job but I could envision a situation where Ferry handles the business/analytics side while PJ is on the day to day. Oh yea, you could pretty much guarantee Brian Shaw as his coaching hire wherever he lands. Someone he trusts to push his message without him having to be on the sidelines.

Reports are that the Hawks are mentioned the most in the Phil Jackson rumors according to Fox Sports Ohio, as well as Mike Brown obviously but now Brown is gone to Cleveland so I guess Ferry will go hard for Phil.

Phil said he would only consider coming back if it's a good situation, Ferry is expected to gut what is left of our highly mediocre team this summer except for Horford, Lou, Korver (assuming he would come back) Teague ( maybe ), and Devin (if he'll come back) with all of our cap space...

If Phil committed to us, you would have to bet the Dwight/CP3 dream we've had for about a year now could truly become a reality.

What I have read says Phil doesn't want to coach anymore, he wants a front office job. Somehow I doubt Ferry is going to step aside and hand over the reins to Jackson.

I think asking for the link is a legit question.

Now that the link is there and it specifically says that Atlanta is aggressively trying to sign Phil as a head coach, I think that is definitely worth of discussion. Still a long shot but more interesting than before for sure.

"Sources said Jackson could be courted by Ferry as well."Somehow this sounds quite a bit different from we are "aggressively trying to sign Phil as a head coach."

Like Watchman said - Front Office Job:

Phil Jackson is interested in returning to work with an NBA team, only this time in a front office capacity.

"I've had some talks with people and there are some interesting situations that are presenting themselves, but I really haven't made up my mind yet what I'm going to do," said Jackson. "None of it involves coaching. ... There are three or four teams that have been interested."

Jackson last coached the Los Angeles Lakers in the 2011 NBA Playoffs.

Jackson said he would be interested in a developing team "where you'd have the influence in (selecting the) coaching staff and the kind of culture that goes along with it. It goes all the way down to - not down to, but includes - trainers and the people who are doing the hands-on work with players, that have to be really embedded with how you put a team together. ... The support group is important; guys who get an opportunity to hear and talk and influence the players.

"It would be a real opportunity to implant the game, a culture that I believe in - that's the intriguing part."

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/227361/Phil-Jackson-Has-Talked-To-3-4-Teams-About-Front-Office-Role

Edited by JayBirdHawk