• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Horford says Hawks sometimes question Josh Smith’s shot selection.

Brotha2ThaNite

Here is something to talk about until game 5. lol

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/30/horford-says-hawks-sometimes-question-josh-smiths-shot-selection-ya-think/

It was still anybody’s game — Atlanta led by 5 with 3:10 left when Josh Smith took a three against the Pacers Monday night and you could hear the entire Phillips Arena do the same thing:

“Noooooooo… YES!”

Smith made that shot and that’s what he’ll remember. So he’ll shoot it again and again. And miss the vast majority of them.

After the game Al Horford admitted that the Hawks players shake their heads at Smith’s shot selection sometimes, as reported by Sekou Smith of NBA.com.

“This was definitely one of those ‘ooh, aah’ moments with Josh,” Al Horford said. “He gives you those ‘oohs’ and then those ‘aahs.’ It’s kind of a ‘Yes’ and then ‘No’ thing going on. That’s the way it is. I think [the fans] obviously want Josh to be successful. Everybody loves him here. Sometimes we do question his shot selection. But tonight he hit some big shots down the stretch, made some huge plays for other guys down the stretch and made plays to help us win this game. I know it might drive some people a little crazy. But it works for us and that’s just the way it is.”

It works for them sometimes.

The numbers paint a very clear picture: inside 8 feet this season Smith shot 62.2 percent; from 8 to 16 feet out he hit 23.3 percent; from 16 to 24 feet 32.4 percent. He shot 72 percent at the basket in the restricted area this season and not better than 32 percent in any area outside it. He shot 30.3 percent from three this season but still took 2.6 shots per game from there, a career high.

Smith doesn’t play to his own strengths and it’s frustrating. But the he puts together a string of play like he did at the end of the Hawks win over the Pacers Monday night and you are reminded there are not many players like him out there — 6’9” with athletic gifts that let him run the floor, good court vision and the ability to make plays. He had 29 points and was key to the Hawks tying the series.

But if he wants to take threes, the Pacers will let him do that all night long in Game 5.

• Like 1

It's refreshing to see Horford making a statement about it - and in a very classy way. This is how you address the press regarding very "sticky" subjects without pissing everybody off. Kudos to him for that.

Not much left to say about Josh. I mean, it is what it is...and it's great to hear Horford summarize our feelings about it. He hit the nail on the head for the most part. But, he managed to stay on the fence. The article corrects him nicely though - it works SOMETIMES and we win IN SPITE of his shooting, not because of it.

You would have to be blind not to see that Josh's jumpers are bad basketball decisions. Horford did handle it with class as have all Hawks. I have not even heard former team mates, Bibby, Crawford, and JJ, throw him completely under a bus.

• Moderators

This isn't the first time he's talked about it, but this is the first time he has been direct with it. Like Al said, it's something that we all shake our heads at, but accept so long as it doesn't lose us the game. Still, a player shouldn't do this to his team...

I have so much respect for Al Horford. I honestly do believe that if the hawks ever added two superstars we are indeed a BIG 3 with horford as the 3rd man.

and some nights I honestly believe if we had one major star....horford looks like he can be a robin because he clearly can hold his own.

Whatever the case is hawks need to make sure we hold on to this guy for a long while.

• Like 1

It really goes back to my thread about Josh not shooting his FT's from the line. It the coach or coaches let you get away with it, then they need to accept responsibility when it fails. Hopefully the entire coaching staff is held accountable and is fired.

Where Josh stands has absolutely nothing to do with wether he makes or misses his freethrows - it's a matter of focus and concentration. The only hard and fast rule is u must stand behind the line. Players find what works for them - there was a player who stood off to one side, VanExel stood back, do did Rasheed Wallace. Players try to find a comfort zone at the line that is all.