• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Detailed Run Down of How DF Can Get Us EVERYTHING - Draft Picks, Salaries, Cap Exceptions Inside!

DatWerkk

...and I am good with that...Smith needs to be in a different uniform next year and we don't need him with that team. We need a guy who will defend and hit a few jumpers at that position with that team. We don't need another guy who needs the ball a lot. Chemistry wise it will cause problems. If we got Paul, Matt Barnes will probably follow him here and he can start at SF in a pinch

Matt Barnes / Korver would be a very nice rotation at SF! Then draft a young SF to groom behind them.
  • Like 1

Kinda foolish to talk about since the Max is based upon the cap which is based upon Basketball Related Income and this won't be known until the July moratorium. So just like projecting what the cap will be, that is what talking about the Max is like.You will likely see a post from me once we get the actually numbers for BRI. If you have ever seen The Jerk, it will be almost exactly like when the new phonebooks arrive. I will be excited and everyone else will have a "WTF?" type of response.

If it's 60 million what would the max be? And if it's 67 million what would it be? Not looking for an exact amount to hold you to, just curious how much it could vary.

And yes I've seen The Jerk and that sounds just like when you got the new CBA in your hands LOL.

Nice explanation Philly Frenetic! Now I understand even more how freaking confusing the CBA is!BTW what is the most we can offer Dwight and CP3 per season?

First year 18 for CP3 and 20-21 for Dwight but it's likely if they both want to sign, they will have to take 16-16.5 in their first year. I hope they take 15 mil so we can resign Korver first. Compared to Lebron and gang who took 14.5 mil each.

Salary cap was 58 mil last year and it barely changed over the last year. At best it will be 60 mil next year. Am I missing something?

This is true. The reason why we hope it gets to 60 mil or more is we can offer Dwight and CP3 16-16.5 a piece 1st season and still be able to resign Korver for 3-4 mil 1st season. Just scrapping a mil from each player gives us a chance to resign Korver if the cap is at 60 mil. If it is at 58 mil, Korver could only resign for 2 mil 1st year which will not happen so they would have to take 15-15.5 1st year. They will get an extra million each if the cap goes up and we can resign Korver which is key.

The ideal goal is to have a lineup of

CP3/(draft)/Mack

Jenkins/Lou

Korver/FA/(draft)

Horford/Scott

Dwight/(1st round draft)

Elite Floor General

Very good off ball shooters

Good Team defenders in all starters

Elite Defensive anchor in Howard

Elite movement player in Horford

Elite half court offense fits

Extremely high BBIQ.

All very intelligent players in the starting lineup.

Great front-court size, below average back-court size but if they play team very sound defense with Howard anchoring, they should be elite defensively.

The Hawks should look at a shot blocker who relegates the paint in the 1st round for spot minutes. The ideal players for that are Dieng and Gobert. I like Dieng more because he also has very good BBIQ and passing skills. Gobert is a solid rebounder but his length and agility should make him a better defensive player in a role like ours than in most NBA initially speaking.

Last year we had 66 games and the projected BRI they used for that season was nonexistent. The CBA was constructed with a set $58m cap. No BRI calculations, they chose that number. They also noted in the CBA that this past season would use the higher of $58m or the usual calculation. The usual calculation only had 66 games, so it was pretty obvious that it we would have two years with $58m.Also, you shouldn't just look at past years to project forward. There are a lot of different things going on. Part of it has to do with the changes in revenues from Brooklyn (previously NJ), New York (sucked last year), Clip Show having another new year, et cetera. BRI will be higher and the cap will be higher than $60m, it will just be interesing to see what it actually is.

Not to mention the new TV deal for the NBA.

While this can give more money to Dwight and CP3. It could also make Dallas legit players as well in the stakes for both players if they can trade Marion.They would have the cap now if they get rid of everyone but Dirk for nothing but they wouldn't have money to sign anyone but a MLE, LLE, and NBDL players.They really couldn't get them and give CP3 a better situation than LAC. Atlanta could but if you raise the cap, they could then keep some of their young players with a MLE and LLE. That changes the game to bit. Makes Dallas a legit threat to sign both players if they can find a suitor for Marion who has a trade kicker on his deal. We can only wait and see.

No, Dwight will only have 9 years experience heading in to this offseason. He will be in the 30% category.

Edit: I never actually checked the current salaries of Dwight or CP3. Dwight had $19,536,360 as his salary last year so undoubtedly his Max will be 105% of this ($20,513,178) unless BRI is ridiculously high. For CP3, he had $17,779,458 last year so his max can be no less than 105% ($18,668,431) but if we have the high end of the BRI projections this could increase his Max salary.

The minimum Max for a player is what I calculated in my Dolfan projections. But the 105% rule can override this Max for any player. And this applies to the Hawks, we can use cap space and offer up to Dwight's Max. We are not constrained to the 30% ruling. Just more reasons why being a "Max" player really does not mean much.

Way to pee in my cheerios! So now we're backing to 38-40+ million next year to try and sign D12 and CP3 unless by some miracle they put the team first and sign cap friendly deals like the super best friends did.

Way to pee in my cheerios! So now we're backing to 38-40+ million next year to try and sign D12 and CP3 unless by some miracle they put the team first and sign cap friendly deals like the super best friends did.

It has been the only we could sign the duo is if they took cap friendly deals. Their max level is just too high even if the cap goes up to around 60-63 million. If the cap goes up. Here is something to look at. If LAC loses CP3 for nothing and renounce their contracts, they have enough for one max level player. It seems like Josh Smith or Iggy might get some big bucks once CP3 and Dwight are off the market.

The Clippers will have a great ability to add key pieces if they miss on CP3.

They could sign a combination of Evans, Mayo, Millsap, Monta Ellis, Tony Allen, K. Martin, Redick, Calderon, Landry, etc.

The Clippers are actually in a favorable position if CP3 did which of course isn't ideal but it isn't all bad.

The Lakers are screwed no matter what. They need to rebuild if Dwight leaves no matter what. 2014 FA class isn't that strong since most of the FA's are likely staying... Lebron, Wade, Bosh, and Melo.

Edited by Leadership

Didn't I piss in them earlier? We just simply will not have Dwight and CP3 coming along with someone else. We could get one, but talking about both is not realistic.I imagine this offseason talk is about to calm down until we make a coaching move. Then it will calm down a week after that and kick up around draft. Really, we need to wait until we get the BRI #s to really get this board cooking again.

Both is very realistic. Like I said in another post, Lebron, Wade and Bosh took 14.5 mil in their first year to sign with Miami. If we can get them to take 16-16.5 that would be very realistic and possible. The most CP3 can get his first year with LAC is 17.8 which would take a hit with California millionaire tax. CP3 could sign for 16-16.5 and would make nearly what he would get in LAC without the year added which he would have likely player optioned anyway.

Dwight can get 20.5 mil from LAL but look at the Lakers. They are old, capped out, with major egos and a terrible coach for what Dwight does. Not to mention, LA really doesn't like Dwight, they just don't want to suck so keeping Dwight is more ideal than being exactly who they want. This isn't a LAC/CP3 deal. LAC loves CP3, CP3 doesn't love LAC.

As far as signing someone else for more than the MLE is not happening at all. Zero chance.

We have three locks (Horford, Lou, and Jenkins)

Two almost locks (Scott and Mack)

Four picks in the draft(two 1st and two 2nd)

We likely have nine players as it is. Add Korver and it is 10. So we don't have much space to add more players anyway.

Smith will get at least 12m per season and I see Korver getting 5m per season.

If we want to fit them all in (and I do) I think we need buy in from Howard and Paul to accept 15m per season instead of 17m.

Korver is not getting 5m in his first year unless we give him a flat rate deal which is highly unlikely being that we would need to manipulate the cap to sign both CP3 and Dwight.

Korver at best is a MLE player who will like get slightly more than LLE money at his age. Giving Korver 3.9-4.2 in his 1st year in his new deal is ideal for Kyle.

Josh is very likely done in Atlanta. Someone will give him the bucks. Will they be really good, probably not but that's his mission is to get paid.

Edited by Leadership

It has been the only we could sign the duo is if they took cap friendly deals. Their max level is just too high even if the cap goes up to around 60-63 million. If the cap goes up. Here is something to look at. If LAC loses CP3 for nothing and renounce their contracts, they have enough for one max level player. It seems like Josh Smith or Iggy might get some big bucks once CP3 and Dwight are off the market.

Evans, Ellis, and Pekovic are going to get paid as well. I especially like Evans and Pekovic's chances since they have the size to play their positions.

Smith will get at least 12m per season and I see Korver getting 5m per season.

If we want to fit them all in (and I do) I think we need buy in from Howard and Paul to accept 15m per season instead of 17m.

Howard and Paul are not going to take 15 million and it would be a bad idea to keep Josh.

Howard and Paul are not going to take 15 million and it would be a bad idea to keep Josh.

I don't think they will either. But if they are willing to take 15 to 16 to play together, we are the only team with the cap space to make it happen right now.

• Premium Member

Thank you DatWerkk and especially HF for this GLORIOUS Capology class. The CBA is a really complex bitch.

I almost skipped the thread when I read "sign Jason Collins" (why? Dwight would be a Hawk) and "re-sign Smith" (obvious reasons some have already pointed out). Good for me I didn't.

• Like 1

Sorry for not following up on this thread. Real life got in the way. =)I think the cap calculations and decision making will become a ton easier in about 6 weeks. There's a ton of guesswork right now. SO many variables. I think I'm going to turn most of my attention to the draft, especially since I'm thinking we might have some solutions to our SF problems hiding out in there...

Edited by DatWerkk