• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Larry Coon: Hawks can get Smoove, D12 and CP3 using bird rights?

Brotha2ThaNite

Refering to guys on 92.9 The Fan who say we can sign Smith, Howard, and Paul and attach Coon's name to it. I don't know their names. Its not Randy Cross, the NBA TV guy, Jamie Dukes, Jerome Jerinovich, or Kordell Stewart................its a couple of other guys. The weekend guy who's name I don't know. He also fills in for Jerinovich in the afternoons when he is working the Braves games. The guys who sounds black on after 6:00 PM is guilty of it too..........the one with the guy white who just says uh hu, uh hu over and over.

Marc Ryan and Mac are the 2 guys............went to their home page to look up their names.

Refering to guys on 92.9 The Fan who say we can sign Smith, Howard, and Paul and attach Coon's name to it. I don't know their names. Its not Randy Cross, the NBA TV guy, Jamie Dukes, Jerome Jerinovich, or Kordell Stewart................its a couple of other guys. The weekend guy who's name I don't know. He also fills in for Jerinovich in the afternoons when he is working the Braves games. The guys who sounds black on after 6:00 PM is guilty of it too..........the one with the guy white who just says uh hu, uh hu over and over.

lol... I'm not sure if you're talking about Rob Tribble, Marc Ryan (most likely) or John Fricke.

But oh boy do I agree with you about the 6PM show. Jason says "jump" and Mac asks "how high, daddy?". Jason has to be the most negative radio sports talking head to ever come on the Atlanta airwaves. He is more negative than even John Kincade and Perry Laurentino.

I do agree with one thing - when it comes to expert knowledge on sports - forget about Atlanta Sports Radio. Buck B. knows a bit about UGA and baseball - but Kincaid is so annoying that I can't listen for long.

The morning show guys on 790 are a "bit" above moron level as far as sports knowledge (but much better at movie reviews and Steak Shapiro's family social schedule - which we hear about ad nauseum).

Josh would have to sign before they do and leave enough for us to sign them two and min salary req for the roster. Highly unlikely.

I prefer "highly unlikely" to impossible.

Gracious - think if it could be done? The A$G could go from penny pinching *&^#erds to Major Players in the League. The Hawks would be the talk of ESPN. There would be stories galore.

D12 and Smoove re-unite

CP3 back where he should have been all along

AL Horford the "glue guy"

Lou Williams - the NBA renegade back it Georgia to prove himself

Edited by DJlaysitup

Gearon was willing to go into the LT for LaBron, I believe he would for D12,CP3,Josh and Al.

Only way it gets done is we can move Lou, Stevenson, our four picks for expiring contracts that people here like to think are not valuable. Then it would still require all three to take a pay cut. D12 and CP3 for around 14 to 15 million and Josh for about 10.

The math minus Lou and Stevenson:

Al 12.0 million

John Jenkins 1.25 million

Jeff Teague 2.5 million cap hold

Mike Scott .788 million

Total: 16.58 Million

Move the draft picks, four picks in this years draft, approximately 5-7 million

Projected cap: 58.5

40 million clear in cap.

Now you have the money to sign all three and keep Al.

The picks and Teague's hold are all guesstimates, but the 40 clear in cap I think is close to accurate.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

Josh would have to sign before they do and leave enough for us to sign them two and min salary req for the roster. Highly unlikely.

Nope. Even if Josh only signs for $10 mill per year that only leaves around $25 mill of cap space under the projected $58 mill salary cap..

No way Howard and Paul take $12.5 mill each as their starting annual salary.

Nope. Even if Josh only signs for $10 mill per year that only leaves around $25 mill of cap space under the projected $58 mill salary cap..

No way Howard and Paul take $12.5 mill each as their starting annual salary.

Gearon has said he can go into the LT.

Only way it gets done is we can move Lou, Stevenson, our four picks for expiring contracts that people here like to think are not valuable. Then it would still require all three to take a pay cut. D12 and CP3 for around 14 to 15 million and Josh for about 10.

The math minus Lou and Stevenson:

Al 12.0 million

John Jenkins 1.25 million

Jeff Teague 2.5 million cap hold

Mike Scott .788 million

Total: 16.58 Million

Move the draft picks, four picks in this years draft, approximately 5-7 million

Projected cap: 58.5

40 million clear in cap.

Now you have the money to sign all three and keep Al.

The picks and Teague's hold are all guesstimates, but the 40 clear in cap I think is close to accurate.

OK - so even if we have to move Lou....

Edited by DJlaysitup

Honestly for what we need at SF if we land CP3 and Dwight to play with Al is a role player who can hit threes and play good defense. The best fit I see is Budinger. Webster would be another one. Brewer would be a good fit but he is kind of ineffeicent. I would love Brandon Rush if he opts out which is unlikely.

OK - un-nevermind...why can MIA get three stars and a bunch of role players who are good?

We should be able to do this - it's only fair after living through the BK years

LJ, Wade, and Bosh eat almost every penny of cap space.

Mike Miller is playing under MLE. Haslem took a drastic paycut. Much of their roster is on league minimum contracts just to be a part of the team. They went over the luxury tax to keep their own free agents like Chalmers, Haslem, and Anthony for over the minimum (each making around $4 mill).

As the big 3's contracts increase each year they will have no choice but to pay luxury tax. Heck they were about $13 mill into the tax this year with team salary of $83 mill. I believe the luxury tax is at $70 mill.

Its the whole build it and they will come analogy. Build a Big 3 and veterans will come to play for the minimum......but eventually you will have no choice but to pay some tax if you want to resign your own FA or use the MLE. The good thing with Atlanta is Horford is locked in at $12 mill........much less then a max, or near max, contract that increases each year.

Edited by coachx

We cannot go over the salary cap to sign other teams free agents unless we're using exceptions, which obviously don't apply to big $ guys like Dwight and CP3. There is no chance that Horford, Smith, Dwight and CP3 are on the same team next year unless Dwight, CP3 and Smoove all take about 50% of what they're each worth and even then that's not a very good team as we'd struggle mightily to score when teams pack the paint. Back to the point though it's not happening. We can go up to the cap to sign the big $ guys and then use the MLE to go over it with another player or two. Then next year we can do the same with the MLE and that would likely put us over the luxury tax at that point. You guys want to know how Miami has done it, they've done it slowly over a 3 year period where they've used their exceptions to add salary. That first year they were only able to go over the salary cap about the same as we will be able to this year.

• Like 3

No you can't.

If the Hawks keep Smith's cap hold / Bird's Rights then there is not enough room under the cap to sign both Paul and Howard. The only way to afford them both is to renounce Smith's cap hold which eliminates the Hawks Bird's Rights for Smith. We have been over this like a gazillion times guys.

Noooo The tweet is saying you must sign D12 and CP3 first than sign Smoove.

LJ, Wade, and Bosh eat almost every penny of cap space.

Mike Miller and Haslem are playing under league expections like the MLE and LLE. Haslem took a drastic paycut. The rest of the roster is on league minimum contracts just to be a part of the team. They went over the luxury tax to keep their own free agents like Chalmers and Anthony.

As the big 3's contracts increase each year they will have no choice but to pay luxury tax. Heck they were about $13 mill into the tax this year.

Its the whole build it and they will come analogy. Build a Big 3 and veterans will come to play for the minimum......but eventually you will have no choice but to pay some tax if you want to resign your own FA or use the MLE. The good think with Atlanta is Horford is locked in at $12 mill........much less then a max, or near max, contract that increases each year.

They actually was under the cap till they signed Miller to the MLE deal. They didn't go over the LT till this year for the first time with the Big 3.