• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why Coach Bud Loves Our 2012 Rookies

PSSSHHHRRR87

Saw this thread started on the Hawks' RealGM forums and thought I'd bring it on over here.

I feel like Scott could be our Haslem and Jenkins could be our Dell Curry going forward.

Scott's game is similar to David West but not as good nor does he have that type of potential.

Jenkins is Dell Curry Jr.

Scott's game is similar to David West but not as good nor does he have that type of potential. Jenkins is Dell Curry Jr.

Of course he's not as good as DWest - he has completed exactly 1 season. Why can't he be as good as DWest - With the proper development, instruction and if he puts the work in why can't his potential be increased - I can't stand blanket statements like that.

Of course he's not as good as DWest - he has completed exactly 1 season. Why can't he be as good as DWest - With the proper development, instruction and if he puts the work in why can't his potential be increased - I can't stand blanket statements like that.

Because his athletic ability is a notch below West as a rookie. His passing, blocking, and steals are less than West as well. It is not a blanket statement. Looking at advanced stats, West was better and younger. With that said, Scott is a 2nd rounder, West was a top 20 pick. Let's just say the fact that I can compare the two at a young age is impressive drafting by Ferry.

Because his athletic ability is a notch below West as a rookie. His passing, blocking, and steals are less than West as well. It is not a blanket statement. Looking at advanced stats, West was better and younger. With that said, Scott is a 2nd rounder, West was a top 20 pick. Let's just say the fact that I can compare the two at a young age is impressive drafting by Ferry.

So as a 2nd round pick he cannot increase his potential. Quoting stats frm DWest who played a ton compared Sscott who played sparingly - OK. You can throw around as much advanced stats and metrics and athletics measurables, you know what they don't measure? A persons ability to want to put the work in to increase his potential to be better than what he is projected to be. Does Scott have that, I don't know but seeing him in limited minutes in one season is too early to tell what he can be. In the right system you get him better at what he is good at, improve his weakness and eliminate the bad things.What does your advance stats tell you about Danny Green (2nd rounder) and now the starting shooting guard for SA Spurs after being picked up off the scrap heap?

• Moderators

I really hope we bring Scott back... all this non-guaranteed contract talk has me kinda nervous.

I think he will be back... He showed promise last season and his option is cheap at $788,000. I believe both Scott and Ivan will be back.

So as a 2nd round pick he cannot increase his potential. Quoting stats frm DWest who played a ton compared Sscott who played sparingly - OK. You can throw around as much advanced stats and metrics and athletics measurables, you know what they don't measure? A persons ability to want to put the work in to increase his potential to be better than what he is projected to be. Does Scott have that, I don't know but seeing him in limited minutes in one season is too early to tell what he can be. In the right system you get him better at what he is good at, improve his weakness and eliminate the bad things.What does your advance stats tell you about Danny Green (2nd rounder) and now the starting shooting guard for SA Spurs after being picked up off the scrap heap?

Comparing his skill-set and his production at the same age. It's clear you can't compare West career sample size to Scott nor would you.

Green barely played in Cleveland but what it says is he can be a rotation player who does more good than harm.

Edited by Leadership

I was gonna go off on you leader for the Scott can't be as good as West comment but Jay pretty much said what I was going to say. Advanced stats kinda make me sick to my stomach. Manu Ginobili, Mark Price, nick van exel and Paul Millsap all 2nd round guys. It doesn't matter at all where you are picked. If you work hard, you can be as great as you want to be. And I don't necessarily agree with West being a better athlete. I would say they are the same athletically.

Comparing his skill-set and his production at the same age. It's clear you can't compare West career sample size to Scott nor would you. Green barely played in Cleveland but what it says is he can be a rotation player who does more good than harm.

my point exactly on playing time. If you think all Green is is 'a rotational' player you haven't payed much attention to the Spurs. You still haven't said what your advance stats say about Green then to Green now.What it also says is that Green worked on his game, had good teachings and has earned the trust of his coach and HOF teammates after not playing then being dumped by Cleveland.If that isn't exceeding the potential that most had him pegged as at a 2nd rounder I don't know what else does. Edited by JayBirdHawk

my point exactly on playing time. If you think all Green is is 'a rotational' player you haven't payed much attention to the Spurs. You still haven't said what your advance stats say about Green then to Green now.What it also says is that Green worked on his game, had good teachings and has earned the trust of his coach and HOF teammates after not playing then being dumped by Cleveland.If that isn't exceeding the potential that most had him pegged as at a 2nd rounder I don't know what else does.

You are doing too much. Why are you jumping on my neck and not reading my posts? Clearly I stated based on his rookie year and nothing else. I am starting to think you are just picking a fight with me for whatever reason.

I was gonna go off on you leader for the Scott can't be as good as West comment but Jay pretty much said what I was going to say. Advanced stats kinda make me sick to my stomach. Manu Ginobili, Mark Price, nick van exel and Paul Millsap all 2nd round guys. It doesn't matter at all where you are picked. If you work hard, you can be as great as you want to be. And I don't necessarily agree with West being a better athlete. I would say they are the same athletically.

It's a good thing that being athletic isn't a true measure of having basketball skills. I laugh when people say he can jump so high, he can run so fast - yes - but does he have basketball skills? I always remember Odom's comment - it's not called run and jump, it's called basketball...lol.

You are doing too much. Why are you jumping on my neck and not reading my posts? Clearly I stated based on his rookie year and nothing else. I am starting to think you are just picking a fight with me for whatever reason.

fight?... It's a difference of opinion, no need to be so hostile.

- it's not called run and jump, it's called basketball...lol.

LOL - good one - reminds me of way back when I was in H.S. - we were at a tournament and were watching the other teams in the semi-finals. One team went 6-7, 6-6, 6-6 on their front line (or back line..I get it mixed up) and their kids weren't sloppy or fat. The other team went 6-4, 6-1, 6-1...but their 6-4 center had almost McHale type inside moves. He ate them alive. I don't think I ever saw so may (natural) 3 point plays in one game. The poor (big) kids trying to guard him all got fouled out.

I tried to keep tabs on him (but that was before the internet) - he went to a smaller college and set a scoring record for them as a forward. He was too short for the NBA I suppose.

Edited by DJlaysitup

LOL - good one - reminds me of way back when I was in H.S. - we were at a tournament and were watching the other teams in the semi-finals. One team went 6-7, 6-6, 6-6 on their front line (or back line..I get it mixed up) and their kids weren't sloppy or fat. The other team went 6-4, 6-1, 6-1...but their 6-4 center had almost McHale type inside moves. He ate them alive. I don't think I ever saw so may (natural) 3 point plays in one game. The poor (big) kids trying to guard him all got fouled out.

I tried to keep tabs on him (but that was before the internet) - he went to a smaller college and set a scoring record for them as a forward. He was too short for the NBA I suppose.

I was able to track down a picture of DJ at his basketball tournament. Thank God for the Internet! DJ is the one with his back turned towards us...

Posted Image

• Like 2

I was able to track down a picture of DJ at his basketball tournament. Thank God for the Internet! DJ is the one with his back turned towards us...

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Imageand still more Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

West had Chris Paul, right ?