• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If we land CP3 and D12 to play w/ Al and sign a decent SF...

NBASupes

who can hit corner threes, play well off the ball and play decent man defense.

What would be our weakenesses as a team?

We would have everything you need as an unit. San Antonio is a very complete team. Their only weakness is they do not have that player who can play above the rim consistently. Not a big deal v. Miami but it's a very big deal v. OKC.

What would our weaknesses. I am been thinking. The only things I came up with is Dwight's FT shooting.

Our rookies we draft being not as good as we hoped which shouldn't happen but could. Injuries. But what would be our weaknesses?

Edited by Leadership

• Moderators

who can hit corner threes, play well off the ball and play decent man defense.

What would be our weakenesses as a team?

We would have everything you need as an unit. San Antonio is a very complete team. Their only weakness is they do not have that player who can play above the rim consistently. Not a big deal v. Miami but it's a very big deal v. OKC.

What would our weaknesses. I am been thinking. The only things I came up with is Dwight's FT shooting.

Our rookies we draft being not as good as we hoped which shouldn't happen but could. Injuries. But what would be our weaknesses?

You want a FA SF that is a marksman from the corner? Look no further than...

Posted Image

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8fCTDp1UsY

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfhhI96zgCs

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=liD-FDGlXTQ

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVmsLCfIXmU

Edited by PSSSHHHRRR87

Yep I'd be all for signing Dorell Wright and/or Nick Young as both would be good fits for us. I like Wright more and it seems like he's every time I watch him play he's knocking down 3 after 3. Honestly if we could get both of these guys for fair prices we'd be set in the starting lineup and all 5 guys would be around the same age and we'd be looking at 4-5 years of them playing at a high level.

Yep I'd be all for signing Dorell Wright and/or Nick Young as both would be good fits for us. I like Wright more and it seems like he's every time I watch him play he's knocking down 3 after 3. Honestly if we could get both of these guys for fair prices we'd be set in the starting lineup and all 5 guys would be around the same age and we'd be looking at 4-5 years of them playing at a high level.

One or both of these guys would be wonderful. That was the glaring weakness last year and there has been very little talk of us filling that need. You know Ferry has a short list.

We would still need perimeter defense - D12/Horford would be in constant foul trouble if defense on the perimeter is not at least decent. Depending solely on them as would be disastrous.

I like Martell Webster the most. Look at his size and profile. He is a consummate professional who hit 49.3% from the corner and he moves well without the ball, takes every possession seriously and works hard.

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2013/4/25/4265984/martell-webster-washington-wizards-grades

• Like 1

We would still need perimeter defense - D12/Horford would be in constant foul trouble if defense on the perimeter is not at least decent. Depending solely on them as would be disastrous.

CP3 was 1st team all defense. So without even factoring the SF and SG spots you already in a good direction for a solid defensive team.

• Like 1

Nick is has poor BBIQ, doesn't move well off the ball and his defense is based on how he's feeling that day. Those Nate Robinson, J.R. Smith, Josh Smith types are poor fits on championship teams.

Dorell has the corner shooting and he moves well without the ball. His issues tend to be injuries and his defense is bad. No way will he be able to even bother someone like Lebron. He is likely not the choice either.

Wright’s defense has been described as passive by many observers. According to 82games.com, small forwards had their way with him (17.9 PER) and the Warriors were better off defensively when Wright was off the floor than with him on it.

I like Chase Budinger, Brandon Rush, Martell Webster, and Corey Brewer. Brewer is the worse shooter of the bunch but likely the best man and team defender. Rush is the best fit but he might not opt out and is coming out of ACL injury. Webster is a great fit as is Budinger.

CP3 was 1st team all defense. So without even factoring the SF and SG spots you already in a good direction for a solid defensive team.

Very true. The problem will come when you have to play Lebron and Melo. That's where you need just a decent SF. A Bruce Bowen type would be great for us. That's why I want Brandon Rush the most.

So depending on the SF is our only issue. I think we need a legit backup center, legit backup SG, a decent SF who has some defensive skills but can shoot the corner three due to CP3 and Dwight abilities. I would LOVE a James Posey type as well. Someone who is a role player who can defend and shoot three. Does not have to do much else with this personnel. I think we can solve the backup SG and C issue in the draft.

I think Matt Barnes is definitely a guy that fits. Good defender with size and can hit a 3. I want Korver back but unless we move our picks or Lou I can't figure out how to make it work unless he plays for a lot less than he'd get elsewhere or Paul and Howard take $15 million per each to play together.

• Like 1

I say just sign Matt Barnes and get Korver on a good deal to back him up

Do you think Barnes is worth the MLE? He is more like MMLE type of player. Has hustle, decent movement off the ball, good corner shooter, not a great corner shooter. Plays decent defense in spurts, decent BBIQ, not good or great, not really consistent or quick. Is an older player. He maybe worth 2-2.5 million for any team but more a contender, maybe even less. He isn't really someone you start at SF on any NBA team much less a contender.

Korver would be a better fit than Barnes as a starter but if Jenkins is starting, those two would be redundant. since both have team defensive abilities and lack defensive tools to defend their position in a man situation. You really like our match-up v. Granger and Paul George v. Korver and Jenkins. We will lose that match-up badly. Who we sign at SF will be massive even if their role is just being a role player. To play spot mins you can sign Barnes or Tolliver back but to start. You need more.

Edited by Leadership

Nick is has poor BBIQ, doesn't move well off the ball and his defense is based on how he's feeling that day. Those Nate Robinson, J.R. Smith, Josh Smith types are poor fits on championship teams.

Dorell has the corner shooting and he moves well without the ball. His issues tend to be injuries and his defense is bad. No way will he be able to even bother someone like Lebron. He is likely not the choice either.

I like Chase Budinger, Brandon Rush, Martell Webster, and Corey Brewer. Brewer is the worse shooter of the bunch but likely the best man and team defender. Rush is the best fit but he might not opt out and is coming out of ACL injury. Webster is a great fit as is Budinger.

I'm not that worried about the defense at the 2 and 3 when we've got All NBA defenders at the 1 and 5 and a pretty darn good one at the 4. We can get by with adequate defense at the 2 and 3 and both of those guys provide versatility on offense, which we will need.

Webster would be a very distant choice behind those guys. Rush worries me coming off of that injury. Brewer is a very streaky shooter but I like his defense and rebounding a lot. Budinger I haven't seen a lot of since he left Houston but could be a good fit.

Look at the WS/48 of those guys mentioned (sorted best to worst career average):

Wright - .132 last year & .101 career

Budinger - .066 last year & .098 career

Webster - .138 last year & .083 career

Rush - .099 last (healthy) year & .059 career

Young - .079 last year & .050 career

Brewer - .093 last year & .044 career

By this list there's only 3 guys who look like a good fit in terms of what they bring on both sides of the ball. Looking at their 3pt shooting...

Wright is a career 37% 3pt shooter so he's probably a good fit.

Budinger is a career 36% 3pt shooter so he's probably a good fit.

Webster is a career 38% 3pt shooter so he's probably a good fit.

Edit - sorry Website is a career 38% 3pt shooter, not 30%. That changes my outlook on him completely. I'm not sure how I got that 30% number but I'd be fine with him as a 38% shooter.

Adding Matt Barnes (6'7 235 lbs) to the list...

Last season .146 win shares / 48 and .105 for his career. Also a career 33% shooter from 3. He's 33 years old now so should be relatively cheap and already has chemistry with CP3 so I'd add him to the list behind the much younger Wright and Budinger, but he's probably my next option behind them.

• Admin

Wright is interesting but I can't stand Nick Young...one of the most overrated and one dimensional players in the league. He has the worst shot selection after Jordan Crawford.

I do like the idea of Barnes though and he would probably follow Paul here.

I'm not that worried about the defense at the 2 and 3 when we've got All NBA defenders at the 1 and 5 and a pretty darn good one at the 4. We can get by with adequate defense at the 2 and 3 and both of those guys provide versatility on offense, which we will need.

Webster would be a very distant choice behind those guys. Rush worries me coming off of that injury. Brewer is a very streaky shooter but I like his defense and rebounding a lot. Budinger I haven't seen a lot of since he left Houston but could be a good fit.

Look at the WS/48 of those guys mentioned (sorted best to worst career average):

Wright - .132 last year & .101 career

Budinger - .066 last year & .098 career

Webster - .138 last year & .083 career

Rush - .099 last (healthy) year & .059 career

Young - .079 last year & .050 career

Brewer - .093 last year & .044 career

By this list there's only 3 guys who look like a good fit in terms of what they bring on both sides of the ball. Looking at their 3pt shooting...

Wright is a career 37% 3pt shooter so he's probably a good fit.

Budinger is a career 36% 3pt shooter so he's probably a good fit.

Webster is a career 30% 3pt shooter so he's probably not a good fit.

So I'd say that Wright (6'7 200 lbs) and Budinger (6'7 220 lbs) are probably the best options for us at SF among this group.

Webster had the best year last year. Budinger was hurt for half of the year and took some time to get his feel back. Wright has the offense but the defense is ???

I like Webster the most and he is why.

Offense: Webster fit his role to a T, becoming one of the league's feared outside shooters, particularly from the corners. A late slump bumped Webster down from his perch a bit, but he still finished sixth in the NBA in corner three-point percentage among players that attempted at least 50 shots. Webster was no slouch from the wings either -- he was 65th in the league in above-the-break three-point percentage among those with at least 50 shots attempted.

Webster's three-point proficiency was good enough for the Wizards to incorporate a new play into their playbook to take advantage of his shooting and John Wall's cross-court passing.

The play starts on one side with Wall running a standard angled pick and roll. Webster will stand on the opposite wing rather than the corner.

Posted Image

The speed pick and roll on the right side draws everyone's attention. Meanwhile, Webster will sneak to the corner.

Posted Image

As Webster goes to the corner, Wall will throw a cross-court pass. Meanwhile, the other big man -- Jason Collins, in this case -- will set a flare screen on Webster's man, preventing him from recovering.

Posted Image

The end result is a wide-open three if executed correctly.

Posted Image

All in all, Webster's shooting was essential to an offense that didn't have much of it from the big positions. There were games where Webster didn't make much of an impact, but he was enough of a threat to open up opportunities for others, especially after Wall's return from injury.

Defense: Webster was not a stopper by any means, but he generally worked hard and was in the right spots. The key is that he didn't do anything to mitigate the offensive advantage that playing him gives you. The Wizards were only 1.1 points worse per 100 possessionswith him out, despite the presence of Trevor Ariza.