• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Discussion on Tanking

NBASupes

• Moderators

To me that is preserving cap flexibility.

Full fledge tanks mode is trading off Horford for draft picks and signing 1 year contracts.

The Celtics tanked with Paul Pierce on the roster. I think we could do the same with Horford. Pierce was professional enough to stick around (mentally) while the Celtics got their assets to flip for Garnett and Allen. Would Horford do the same? I would think the odds are better with him than most players.

• Premium Member

The Celtics tanked with Paul Pierce on the roster. I think we could do the same with Horford.

Yeah that right...Paul Pierce and Horford are at the same stage in their respect careers so its the same thing..Not!. Good thing Ferry is not even remotely thinking like this.

• Moderators

(a) Yeah that right...Paul Pierce and Horford are at the same stage in their respect careers so its the same thing..Not!.

(b) Good thing Ferry is not even remotely thinking like this.

(a) You realize that Paul Pierce is not on the roster anymore right and so I am talking about Paul Pierce age 27 - 29, right? Horford is coming on his age 27 season so that sounds pretty similar to me. Somehow, however, I think you don't understand this from your post.

(b) As an aside, I love how you and Leadership both know what Ferry is thinking and that your visions are diametrically opposed!

The Celtics tanked with Paul Pierce on the roster. I think we could do the same with Horford. Pierce was professional enough to stick around (mentally) while the Celtics got their assets to flip for Garnett and Allen. Would Horford do the same? I would think the odds are better with him than most players.

Sounds good doesn't it - do you remember the Boston wearing paper bag fans and the Boston cheering fans for Kobe IN Boston? If the fan base in Boston did that to a team with PP, what will they do here? , can the Hawks fan survive this, fan support is already so fickle. The Hawksquawk fans will stick thru it because we will understand what Ferry is trying to do but will the rest?Whatever Ferry's approach is I'm on board. Go Hawks!! Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

Sounds good doesn't it - do you remember the Boston wearing paper bag fans and the Boston cheering fans for Kobe IN Boston? If the fan base in Boston did that to a team with PP, what will they do here? , can the Hawks fan survive this, fan support is already so fickle. The Hawksquawk fans will stick thru it because we will understand what Ferry is trying to do but will the rest?

Whatever Ferry's approach is I'm on board. Go Hawks!!

Nobody gives a damn about the Hawks outside of the true fans like us. Winning every year hasn't changed that - and think about that for a second, because there are few teams that rival our playoff appearances. What you're trying to say is that if we start losing, our fickle fan support will disappear.

But here's the problem with that theory...

Our attendance is at the BOTTOM of the league right now...despite a SIX YEAR playoff streak and even some second round appearances. Our national image is a joke...despite being at the TOP of the league (with Boston, Los Angeles, New York, and Philly) for overall playoff appearances. Our appeal to free agents is mediocre at best...despite having cap room for TWO stars and an All-Star PF already in place. Despite the perfect storm happening all over the league... Despite the two top free agents being friends, wanting to play together, and one of them calling THIS place his hometown.

All this, and we have been winning year after year. We are treated like a joke, but we're not a losing franchise! Moreover, losing didn't change our perception a few years ago. If you want to be honest about it, when Billy Knight cleared the slate he got universal praise for starting over.

So where's the logic here? If anything, the logic says that if we keep rolling out these B-list, underpowered teams...that we will continue to be a JOKE. We can't really be much more of a joke than we already are. To the masses, the Hawks are irrelevant and they have always been irrelevant. It's going to stay that way until we put a contender on the court. This is where you guys really have no answer...how do you plan to improve the team?

You're not getting the big free agents. They don't come here and they don't talk about coming here. How do you improve the team? You're B-list team may make the ECF's. Maybe. Nobody is going to say it is or isn't a sure thing...just not likely considering the competition. Guys that DO NOT rely on B-List talent.

But...

If you DON'T make the ECFs...then how do you improve the team? You can't sign a marquee free agent because they don't want to sign here and even if they wanted to, you spent all the cap space on B-List players. You're not going to trade B-List players for A-List stars. How do you improve the team? The draft is out of the question because your pick is somewhere in the mid-late 1st round.

How do you improve the team? Or do you just continue to make the 1st and 2nd round of the playoffs? It's sad that some of you guys have actually gone as far as saying this is all you want. Hiding behind the belief that being a contender is an "unrealistic" expectation. Because you don't want to face the truth. There is no way to improve a "pretty good" middle of the pack team.

It should tell you something that Boston has gone into rebuild mode. If that were our team, we'd be sitting there with our thumbs up our asses trying to figure out how much more playoff juice we could squeeze out of those old farts.

(Also...please don't bring up Memphis and Indiana as the "example" of what we're shooting for. Although I like both teams, both would have faced an uphill battle had it not been for injuries to OKC and Chicago...and we're still only talking about MAKING the ECF's...where Memphis got annihilated.)

Sounds good doesn't it - do you remember the Boston wearing paper bag fans and the Boston cheering fans for Kobe IN Boston? If the fan base in Boston did that to a team with PP, what will they do here? , can the Hawks fan survive this, fan support is already so fickle. The Hawksquawk fans will stick thru it because we will understand what Ferry is trying to do but will the rest?Whatever Ferry's approach is I'm on board. Go Hawks!!

We've heard MVP chants in Philips during all our playoff years, and they haven't been for any of our players. Our fan support is going to be near the bottom if we're winning 15 games or 50.

I can see Ferry taking an interest in Jabari Parker being a Duke prospect. Would be nice to have on our team instead of Monta Ellis and Josh Smith having shooting contests on the court.

I think it's time to let Teague wings fly playing his natural position of 6th man in Milwaukee with Jennings and Mayo. During the 2nd half of the season, we need to flip Korver to whoever is willing to give us a 1st round pick and exp contract. We have till July 1st of 2014 to be over the salary floor so maybe we can direct a blockbuster trade during the 2014 draft. We have numerous options but staying in place isn't one of them.

• Like 1

Have the rookies start for us, see what draft picks we could get for Horford (if we trade him, tanking will be easy), and hope for Wiggins/Parker. Better than a treadmill team again.

We can't trade Al, we need him so we can develop the rookies and their isn't a deal where we can get the right prospects for Al available. 2014 1st, MKG, for Al? I don't know shit. This sucks. I hate that freakin' Korver signing. They jumped the gun on that signing.

We can't trade Al, we need him so we can develop the rookies and their isn't a deal where we can get the right prospects for Al available. 2014 1st, MKG, for Al? I don't know shit. This sucks. I hate that freakin' Korver signing. They jumped the gun on that signing.

I would trade AL for MKG and a 1st. Don't know if Bobcats want that, but they could, since it seems they want to be the next treadmill team.

We would then have MKG and 2 2014 draft picks.

Edited by RWF

I'm thinking to sit on our caproom till the 2014 NBA draft.

Start Schröder/Jenkins/Korver/Horford/Bebe

Just say f**k it, we trying to play decent ball while losing games by not having enough talent. What this will do is likely win us between 25-35 games. That should be 4-8 in the lottery. Remember, look at the team worse than us:

Tankdelphia- Their roster is in a league of their own.

The rest are on par with us like

Tanklotte- This should be a 25-35 win team.

Flablanta- This should be a 25-35 win team.

Tanklando- This should be a 25-35 win team.

Gooftah- This should be a 29-39 win team.

Tankronto- This should be a 29-39 win team.

Lameston- This should be a 29-39 win team.

Let the tank games begin!

I would trade AL for MKG and a 1st. Don't know if Bobcats want that, but they could, since it seems they want to be the next treadmill team.

We would then have MKG and 2 2014 draft picks.

Just looked at their cap, not happening. Even with Al, we are still on pace to win 25-35 games so we need to keep him for a quick rebuild. If we get a top 3 lotto pick. We can then make moves for the future. We have over 25 mil in cap space. We can anchor a trade to get us a big time player like Tyson Chandler to play next to Al and play him next to Jabari Parker or Andrew Wiggins.

• 3 years later...