Sporting News: Celtics have SnT for Josh ready if they deal Pierce to another team

Admin

I don't know if the 16th pick is enough of an enticement to take on Pierce's salary unless we have no shot at Dwight and CP3.

I understood the article to say that pierce would go somewhere else (Cleveland) and that the trade exception would be used to acquire Josh. Perhaps they would be willing to draft a player for the Hawks with their later pick and include the draft rights to that player in the sign and trade? I know we can't trade Josh for a pick this year obviously but maybe doing it that way it could work. (Maybe not, I'm no expert on those rules,haha)

please can someone reply to this?damn I hate that I'm not at home so I can do my investigation on boston players/contracts. Lol

If I understand correctly then no because according to Hawksfanatic his contract has to be guaranteed for next year by June 30th and we won't have $16 million in cap space at that date he won't be able to be traded. Once his contract is guaranteed for next year he can be traded but then you won't be able to buy him out. I could be wrong about this but that's my understanding.

• Like 1

If I understand correctly then no because according to Hawksfanatic his contract has to be guaranteed for next year by June 30th and we won't have $16 million in cap space at that date he won't be able to be traded. Once his contract is guaranteed for next year he can be traded but then you won't be able to buy him out. I could be wrong about this but that's my understanding.

You're right.

Paul would probably rather retire than play here.

I would imagine that would be his first thought - but (and it's a BIG BUT) - Pierce has no protection and can be traded anywhere - so it's GET PAID - or - DON'T.

Besides - he doesn't have be traded here - could be a big one in the works.

With the mess the Celtics seem to be in, Smoove would be a great pickup for them at this point - they will need an exciting player to jazz up the crowd.

P.S. - then they can get LeBron to opt out after next year and him and Smoove and Rondo can win a title.

Edited by DJlaysitup

I would imagine that would be his first thought - but (and it's a BIG BUT) - Pierce has no protection and can be traded anywhere - so it's GET PAID - or - DON'T.

Besides - he doesn't have be traded here - could be a big one in the works.

With the mess the Celtics seem to be in, Smoove would be a great pickup for them at this point - they will need an exciting player to jazz up the crowd.

P.S. - then they can get LeBron to opt out after next year and him and Smoove and Rondo can win a title.

Lebron and Rondo on the same team sounds like a terrible fit.

Edited by WakaFlocka

it doesnt say anything about pierce coming here it says that the celtics are trying to get rid of pierce so they will have room to go after jbrick...

I know and that's not what the title of the thread says. It's been long since clarified in this thread since the initial confusion.