• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

After the Dwight Saga we will Know if Hawks can only build through Draft

Highpozt2

If we dont get Dwight -- no matter how much cap space the Hawks have the free agents are not responding to any Hawks offers. Hawks will have to trade for draft picks and build through the draft. However, if the fans here the term rebuild again, I feel some really apathetic fans will absolutely be gone. I'm not certain what Ferry's gameplans is hope he can do some magic with this franchise. So far I think we the fans are clueless after this first wave of free agency

I don't think Dwight is a true measuring stick since he said he likes the team but doesn't like the city and you know that the majority of NBA players don't feel that way about the city. This is more of a personal thing for Dwight, assuming he doesn't pick Atlanta.

Right - players love the city however, the Hawks basketball team stands alone. Of course earlier the CP3, Howard combo fell through --- although I did not think it was the best fit, I never heard Al Jefferson mention the Hawks, but he went to the Bobcats, really. The Hawks have always had a tough time attracting top flight free agents. Now of course we wait for the Howard's decision

If we dont get Dwight -- no matter how much cap space the Hawks have the free agents are not responding to any Hawks offers.

Specifically which offers have which free agents not responded to? Just because a player signs with another team doesn't mean the Hawks tried and failed to sign that player.

Right - players love the city however, the Hawks basketball team stands alone. Of course earlier the CP3, Howard combo fell through --- although I did not think it was the best fit, I never heard Al Jefferson mention the Hawks, but he went to the Bobcats, really. The Hawks have always had a tough time attracting top flight free agents. Now of course we wait for the Howard's decision

I'm quite sure if we wanted Al Jeff that we could have gotten him. But I never once heard Ferry mention him as someone he'd be interested in signing. CP3 wasn't about Atlanta, it was about wanting to finish what he started in LAC. I don't disagree that we've had a tough time attracting top flight free agents, but I see that culture has changed quite a bit with Ferry in charge. It wasn't that long ago that Kenyon Martin wouldn't even talk to the Hawks and here we are as one of the teams that got to sit down and talk with Dwight and he had nothing but good things to say about Ferry and Bud.

@Highpozt2: A lot of posters are probably gonna hammer you for being too "reactionary," but I understand your sentiment. Players want to sign with teams that already have good players, and many NBA players, like it or not, still absorb some of the prevailing national attitude that #eventhehawks are an also ran at best.

I know that Danny Ferry has specifically tackled this question head on & plans to change the "perception" that free agents don't want to come to ATL. Unfortunately, unless Ferry can somehow get some star power in ATL to jump start things, I think he's going to have a more difficult climb up that hill than he realizes.

I hate it too, but that's what I think.

Very much hope I'm wrong though (and I was really wrong on Marvin, so it happens!).

Edited by ATLBob

Y'all are missing the OP's point (I think ...maybe?)

It's not really about Dwight.

It's more about the plausibility of the Hawks being able to bring in a star player via FA.

All the cap space in the world won't matter if you can't convince the primo guys to sign.

Instead, all we have to get excited about is the prospect of giving $12M/per to a guy like Pek. Good player? Yes. Key cog for a championship run? This jury votes no.

• Like 2

Y'all are missing the OP's point (I think ...maybe?)

It's not really about Dwight.

It's more about the plausibility of the Hawks being able to bring in a star player via FA.

All the cap space in the world won't matter if you can't convince the primo guys to sign.

Instead, all we have to get excited about is the prospect of giving $12M/per to a guy like Pek. Good player? Yes. Key cog for a championship run? This jury votes no.

Pretty sure everyone here got that point. We just don't agree that Dwight is the measuring stick to prove this theory.

Y'all are missing the OP's point (I think ...maybe?) It's not really about Dwight. It's more about the plausibility of the Hawks being able to bring in a star player via FA. All the cap space in the world won't matter if you can't convince the primo guys to sign. Instead, all we have to get excited about is the prospect of giving $12M/per to a guy like Pek. Good player? Yes. Key cog for a championship run? This jury votes no.

I don't disagree I just don't think Dwight can be used as a example cause from the little everybody knows Dwight likes the franchise just hates the city for whatever reason.

I'm quite sure if we wanted Al Jeff that we could have gotten him. But I never once heard Ferry mention him as someone he'd be interested in signing. CP3 wasn't about Atlanta, it was about wanting to finish what he started in LAC. I don't disagree that we've had a tough time attracting top flight free agents, but I see that culture has changed quite a bit with Ferry in charge. It wasn't that long ago that Kenyon Martin wouldn't even talk to the Hawks and here we are as one of the teams that got to sit down and talk with Dwight and he had nothing but good things to say about Ferry and Bud.

I agree Dwight is not the measuring stick for free agency success or failure --- however top flight free agency has eluded the Hawks in recent years -- I was more focused on team rebuilding, without a total strip down. It looks like Horford will obviously need some pieces while he is still a prime asset and with Joe and now Josh likely moving on, the quick fix is/was free agency. Because we currently have so few players under contract, if this free agency class does not return the Hawks any gems, then it would appear the only direction for Ferry/Hawks is the draft. However without a really bad season, there is no lottery. Free agency becomes paramount. I hope the Hawks and Ferry can continue to change the culture, Hawks will need to attract top tier free agents.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Nothing personal but I am tired of these types of "fans". The ones that believe that the Hawks will never be able to sign anyone of significance. Atlanta is a very attractive team for players because the city is awesome and everything is right with the Hawks now. Only reason Dwight isn't coming to Atlanta is because of personal issues with his overbearing, holy-roller parents. That isn't the case for any other player in the league. I really hope we sign 'Dre, Brewer, and bring back Z-Pac and stay flexible enough to bring in a max guy next offseason.C - Z-PacPF - HorfSF - BrewerSG - 'DrePG - TeagueThat lineup is good enough to win 40 games next year and flexible enough to go after a max guy to add to Horf and 'Dre to make our Big 3. Sign Z-Pac and Brewer to only one-year deals.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Why does being a "real fan" have to equate to embracing sunshine, leprechauns, and rainbows?

Diesel is right: and even the FAs who have been shown a pot of gold have been few and far between.

I hope Ferry can change the perception.

But until he does, the empirical data suggests that the Hawks simply haven't been able to reel many in.

Historically, we have had to overpay for our FAs. period.

Most do, that is what the market and competition dictates. It is a bidding war, high bid wins, that simple.

Why does being a "real fan" have to equate to embracing sunshine, leprechauns, and rainbows? Diesel is right: and even the FAs who have been shown a pot of gold have been few and far between. I hope Ferry can change the perception. But until he does, the empirical data suggests that the Hawks simply haven't been able to reel many in.

Agree --- Well now that the Dwight Howard deal is done and the top free agents are quickly disappearing for 2013 - Ferry's (General) managerial skills will be tested. At this point we don't have a full roster. If they do a sign and trade with Josh, then will this team be just good enough to stay out of the lottery, which means building through the draft is not a great direction. It is tough to get out of this chasm (to good for the lottery but can't advance). We will see what Ferry has for the Hawks --- hope he knows things we don't - maybe Coach Bud is a player developer that gets this years roster to do some magnificent things -- Hawks 2013/14

Honestly, CP3 and D12 are the only elite players we really had a shot at signing. Even CP3 mentioned it. As far as I am concern. We need to get a coup in the draft. We can't do that at pick 14. We need to get a top 5 pick.