• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

My thoughts on tonight's game...

mattlanta

whenever bebe comes over I hope bud can give him some hard coaching and get him to be more active defensively. IDK how many times I have seen bebe just look at a guy while he gets an easy layup.

I am relieved that it looks like he has some skills and not some guy who got drafted just because hes 7 foot.

The most impressive thing about today was the fact that these had not practice together as unit at all..Bebe was given permission to play just before the game so it was basically street ball with no set plays. Also Muscala will not play center in the NBA...He has the skills and size that translates to the traditional NBA 4. He even play a lot of 4 in the 1st game. The team should be much better once they get a few practices under their belts. Except maybe Cunningham and Weems

He could grow into a center. He is a slender but out of shape 240. He could get to a muscular or slightly heavy 255.

It was an interesting game to watch, seemed like it took our team a while to really gel and get into rhythm though. Our 2nd Unit wasn't as reliable by a long shot but we definitely showed some heart near the 4th.

I really like Schröder's game, his court vision is definitely a perfect fit for us and me being a fan of Rondo I couldn't help but admire seeing him play. One thing I noticed is that it seems like he's just now learning that the way he drives for layups will be WAY less effective in this league. He's definitely got some adjusting to do to the NBA's style and athleticism of the opposing players (I'm sure more of his layups will be blocked during this summer league)

Bebe was nice to see, just needs strength and a lot more experience with this level off play.

John Jenkins is definitely making strides, just needs to be a better defender and really take over a bit more and I could definitely see him being a future starter.

I'm pretty excited to see where our potential will take us as our rooks adjust to this league. Not sure if I want Schröder starting just yet but he can definitely be something special.

I watched the game... I'm tipsy... I don't believe in grades...

Schröder impressed me... He definitely is a team player... he looks to pass out of the pick and roll. Those lobs to Lucas were quite nice. He seems to have a good outside shot which is extremely encouraging.... an outside shot combined with his ability to get in the lane could be deadly. He did have some bad turnovers where he just threw the ball into traffic or a defender. He looked pretty lost on defense. There were several times where he just completely blew an assignment... could be from lack of practice in the system. I think with his long arms and quickness he can be a good defender. He is obviously not ready to be a starter, but will be a nice backup now and I feel he is the future point.

Lucas impressed me as well. He can pass. Looks good rolling to the basket. He is loooooooong. He runs the floor well and is an extremely good athlete for his size. His standing reach is 9' 6" that's 4 inches from the rim and he has a 30 inch standing vertical. His hands go WAY WAY up high. He is pretty raw. Hesitated once when he had a lane to the basket and could have thrown it down but blew the possession. He wasn't aggressive enough at protecting the rim. Perhaps he was nervous. Doesn't seem to have any type of post game. If the Hawks can coach him up and get him to be more aggressive...get some muscle on him. Look out. I see his ceiling as a rich man's Tyson Chandler and his floor as a Solomon Jones.

Mike Muscala...Ok he impressed me too. He has a jumpshot. He is basically 7 feet tall. He can run the floor. He isn't super athletic but he isn't a stiff either. He has solid but not great athleticism for his size. I hate agreeing with what everyone is already writing but it's true. He is going to have to adjust to playing against world class talent, but.... he is 7 feet tall... he can shoot... he can pass and he has upside. He will be on the Hawks roster and he could end up being a steal.

Boban... OK this dude is really interesting. I have read that he has signed a contract with a Euro team already and he cant come over... I dunno im not an expert about all that stuff. The guy is ENORMOUS. He can almost dunk without jumping. There were a couple of minutes during the game tonight where he dominated both ends of the floor. Then he started dropping the ball and swatting at it. Then he got the ball stripped from him... then he was throwing his hands out to defend and seemed to almost be on a delay... like a split second behind what was happening. I'm not an NBA GM... and i may be dead wrong... but... If I was an NBA GM... specifically the NBA GM of the Hawks... I would get this guy on my team and develop him... You can't teach size... and he would be the biggest dude in the league. His touch around the basket and free throw shooting ability are rare for a giant like him... He can run the floor a bit... he isn't a gazelle by any means...but he can move. I don't know anything about the league he played in last year...but he was the MVP and put up impressive numbers. Personally I'm a gambler... Id take a risk and get the dude over here.

Mike Scott.... I'm not going to say anything except Mike Scott is a lot better than he played tonight.

John Jenkins... yep he looked like John Jenkins... the guy can shoot. He is a little more athletic than i think he gets credit for. He can be a nice backup 2 guard. I don't see him having much ability to create offense for other players or himself for that matter, but he can knock down jumpers and can cut to the basket. Looking forward to seeing more of him on the floor this year. I think he could average around 13 ppg this season as a backup and have a few lights out big games.

Shelvin Mack... I really like Shelvin... really enjoyed his game when he was at Butler so i don't want to diss him. If he was a few inches taller he could be Jarret Jack, but unfortunately he isnt. Don't see him making the team unless the Hawks don't sign a point guard... that seems completely illogical though because Dennis obviously isn't ready to start.

None of the other guys even warranted a mention after tonight's game... maybe they will show up in the next one.

• Premium Member

So rookie PGs don't start in the NBA?

There's nothing wrong with starting rookies if you have the system to build them up as they need it.

Everybody likes to use FRENCHMAN Tony Parker as the example. Well, when you use Tony Parker, don't forget to mention that he platooned at PG with Terry Porter and Antonio Daniels. And also don't forget that Steve Smith was his backcourt mate. That's a system where a young player can grow and develop. If ever he needs help, he has Smitty on the floor who can run the offense. He has Porter in practice teaching him how to be a better PG. He had Avery Johnson as an assistant coach walking him through running the team. He had Time to be developed over here through the system.

Right now, we don't have a system. Nobody is really familiar with Buds system who is on the floor. We have no Veteran PGs to teach a Pure PG who to be a PG playing in rotation with him. We have no SG who can take the pressure off of him while he's on the floor. Defensively, he's very deficient. Strengthwise, he's not going to be strong enough to do what Points have to do...

The real REASON why most people want Dennis to start is to fulfill this tanking montra. However, if you really care about him developing right, then you ought to want him coming off the bench and getting some instruction.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

It was the first game and all, but this is one thing I noticed concerning Dennis.

Dennis is going to have to develop something going to the goal. The Clipps Summer League squad realized that Dennis was just going to dish off every drive so they played him to dish. I know it was the first game but when I hear plays like Rondo, I also think deficient offense. However, if you're going to be effective as a pure PG, you have to learn to finish a drive.

Bebe- C+

Strengths:

Above average offensive BBIQ.

Movement off the ball.

The ability to finish through contact in the air.

Court Vision

Passing skills

Weaknesses:

Size

Defensive BBIQ This stood out more than anything.

Hands when getting rebounds

Defensive instincts

Can get lazy on defense

He was very raw but I wouldn't mind seeing him on the roster. He can develop while getting 5-10 MPG for us. I think he needs NBA coaching.

Dennis Schröder- B

Strengths:

PnR abilities

Court Vision Stood out more than anything else.

Ability to read the defense and find the open man

Passing skills

Quickness

Ball handling

Spot up shooter

Defensive effort and intensity

Finishing the play when it's not designed for him. Euro tend to do this well.

Weaknesses:

Size

Defensive BBIQ

Overaggressive to an extreme degree till the 4QT when he adjusted.

Running the offense.

Fighting through screens.

Finishing at the rim.

Decision making skills.

No advanced skills.

Dennis is good enough right now to be a below average PG in the NBA on par with Steve Blake and Luke Ridnour. His thing is his potential is off the charts and he could be even better with Al Horford who is elite at the PnR. While Jeff Teague is clearly better than Dennis Schröder, Dennis will likely be a better player this time next year and should be better for the rest of his career.

John Jenkins- B+

Strengths:

Shooting

Scoring

Attacking the basket when the defense gives it to you.

Passing skills

Defensive effort

Off the ball movement

Weaknesses:

Defense

Tend to disappear when Mack was the PG.

Bullock lit him up at times.

Jenkins showed that he has starting potential and he is more than just a shooter, he is a scorer.

Mike M: C

Strength

He had solid NBA level skills

Effort

BBIQ

Weaknesses

Athleticism

Size

No advanced skills.

Mike looks like a 3rd Center option and nothing more or less. He's not ready to be the center and should have a nice stay in the NBDL.

Big man from Serbia: C

Strengths:

Size

Passing skills

space eater

Post moves to a degree.

Weaknesses:

Agilty

Speed

Quickness

Athleticism

Hands

He should get more looks. I like him. I don't know if he can be Ivan for us but I am very curious to continue watching him. Hard say he should be on the team or not yet.

Mike Scott didn't make noise to me nor did Daniels and others.

Potential:

Bebe: Floor: rookie Tyson Chandler Ceiling: Prime Tyson Chandler

Schröder: Floor: Brevin Knight Ceiling: Blend of a RH Mike Conley/Rajon Rondo

Mike Jenkins: Floor: Travis Best Ceiling: Jeff Hornecek

Mike M: Floor: John Wolf Ceiling: Prime Mike Miller

Big man: Floor: Priest Launderdale Ceiling: Geoghes Measuran

I meant Brad Miller not Mike Miller for Mike M. I also meant John Jenkins not Mike Jenkins as well.

Edited by nbasupes40retired

It was the first game and all, but this is one thing I noticed concerning Dennis.

Dennis is going to have to develop something going to the goal. The Clipps Summer League squad realized that Dennis was just going to dish off every drive so they played him to dish. I know it was the first game but when I hear plays like Rondo, I also think deficient offense. However, if you're going to be effective as a pure PG, you have to learn to finish a drive.

Is Rondo even good at finishing drives? Maybe I've just seen Josh Smith block him so many times that it has messed with my memory. Dennis is absolutely a better shooter than Rondo so if his passing game is as legit as it looks then he could certainly be a better offensive player than Rondo. Nobody would be mad at that.

There's nothing wrong with starting rookies if you have the system to build them up as they need it.

Everybody likes to use FRENCHMAN Tony Parker as the example. Well, when you use Tony Parker, don't forget to mention that he platooned at PG with Terry Porter and Antonio Daniels. And also don't forget that Steve Smith was his backcourt mate. That's a system where a young player can grow and develop. If ever he needs help, he has Smitty on the floor who can run the offense. He has Porter in practice teaching him how to be a better PG. He had Avery Johnson as an assistant coach walking him through running the team. He had Time to be developed over here through the system.

Right now, we don't have a system. Nobody is really familiar with Buds system who is on the floor. We have no Veteran PGs to teach a Pure PG who to be a PG playing in rotation with him. We have no SG who can take the pressure off of him while he's on the floor. Defensively, he's very deficient. Strengthwise, he's not going to be strong enough to do what Points have to do...

The real REASON why most people want Dennis to start is to fulfill this tanking montra. However, if you really care about him developing right, then you ought to want him coming off the bench and getting some instruction.

If you are going to platoon him, platoon him with Devin Harris or Mo Williams. Don't waste a lot of money with some overpaid above average SG playing PG who can't run a basic offensive system much less a complex one like San Antonio. You seen how much Shelvin struggled with it and he's ten times better at running an offense than Jeff. Mo and Devin aren't PG's either but you are paying them like 2 to 3 million dollars. That's much cheaper than 7.2 to 10 million dollars.

Edited by nbasupes40retired