• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

My thoughts on tonight's game...

mattlanta

For those that missed the game, here are some of my thoughts from it, feel free to argue about the grades I gave them:Nogueira = Grade: B-+: Ability to change shots at the rim on D-: Looked a little lost on both ends of the court, easy to push aroundSchröder = Grade: A-+: Quickness, court vision-: Looked a bit passive at times on offense, on-ball defense was spottyMuscala = Grade: B+: Runs the court well, great hands-: Lack of strength is obviousOverall, I'm neither overly disappointed or overly impressed with our young draftees. It's just ONE summer league game, so I didn't have any high expectations. I knew Noguiera would be very raw, but he is definitely at least 1 or 2 years away from being ready.Muscala looks a lot thinner than I expected him to. He almost looks like a power forward right now. He and Noguiera need to work out together or something lol. The reports were right that Muscala has the right skill set but just doesn't have the NBA body right now. If he can work on that, he should be a pretty decent big for us down the road.As for Schröder, he's the one that impressed me the most. Aside from a few pretty bad throwaways (you have to expect some turnovers from a 19 y.o.), he showed pretty court vision and ball handling. Schröder may be a bit too raw to start, but he can certainly hide that with his speed and agility. With time and experience, he may be a very good point guard… And yes, he reminds me a lot of Rajon Rondo! Not ready to start though... I'm on board the "sign a veteran to help bring Schröder along" bandwagon.And a quote from Coach Bud himself, "I think that the system we're going to put in is going to look a LOT like San Antonio." (For all the members that complain about people drawing lines back to SA.)

Dennis couldn't finish inside to save his life, and was just as bad as Jeff getting through screens, but that guys vision and passing.......WHOOOO! lol

Yep, and that is the thing you really can't teach a PG, court vision. Most times either you have it or you don't.

• Premium Member

Dennis couldn't finish inside to save his life, and was just as bad as Jeff getting through screens, but that guys vision and passing.......WHOOOO! lol

Yeah. His passing is really good... I like the cuts that Jenkins was making. But Dennis' offense (shooting) aside from the 2nd half shots were nothing to get excited over. Finishing in traffic will be a problem. Watching the offense get to their spots really easy was something else that needs to be worked on. However, his passing is exciting, I just don't think he'll be ready anytime in the next 7 months.

• Premium Member

Dennis really did remind me of Rondo. I don't think he will ever have the rebounding success that Rondo has, but I can see him potentially scoring a little more. Rondo played with three future hall of famers and that is going to help his assist total, so it's a little hard to compare them there. Both of them are really good passers though.I was a lot more impressed with Nogueira than I anticipated. I was really concerned when he was getting pushed around down low early in the game. He got it together and made a lot of good plays, he will definitely be a high energy guy. He needs a lot of physical work..and obviously high level experience will help too.The game was our last two years draft picks/Mack against whoever they had (seemed there might have been some older players). All five players contributed too, I'm enjoying our young talent and think they will all benefit us somehow.

It's way to early to be judging European guys but I will say they neither looked god awful or like they didn't belong out there. I'm interested to see these guys third or fourth game though both certainly has the skill set and alot of their issues appeared to be mentally rather than physical

And he's a much better 3pt shooter than Teague was at 19 that's for sure. Heck he might be an equal 3pt shooter to him now. But man he has gotten ridiculous vision and that natural PG instinct that we haven't had in Atlanta in a long time (outside of an aged Bibby I suppose).

I was very pleasantly surprised at how good Bebe was at passing... and equally as unimpressed with how bad his hands are at rebounding.

Muscala played like a SF/PF out there so for anyone, myself included, who thought he'd be able to give minutes at the 5, I really can't see that happening.

I really liked the 7'3 guy wish we could have him next year but he just signed 2 years with his overseas team

He might still be in the process of finishing his signature. He might be the slowest reacting player I've ever seen. He's definitely got some skills but they aren't NBA caliber skills.

It's way to early to be judging European guys but I will say they neither looked god awful or like they didn't belong out there. I'm interested to see these guys third or fourth game though both certainly has the skill set and alot of their issues appeared to be mentally rather than physical

totally agree. these guys haven't played together at all. curious about if language is a barrier for either of the rooks. SL is not about defense!!!

You can definitely see the difference between Dennis and Teague. As I keep saying: start the German Sensation and let Teague walk.

THIS

Let him take his bumps as a rookie. He might develop into ROTY or we get a lottery pick in a deep draft (maybe even both). Either way, a win-win for the franchise.

Edited by RWF

He might still be in the process of finishing his signature. He might be the slowest reacting player I've ever seen. He's definitely got some skills but they aren't NBA caliber skills.

That guy could sure alter some shots, though, eh? And for a guy who seemed to have butterfingers all night, he still had good placement for getting rebounds and made the ones he got seem pretty effortless. It's also interesting seeing a guy dunk apparently just standing on his tip-toes.

That guy could sure alter some shots, though, eh? And for a guy who seemed to have butterfingers all night, he still had good placement for getting rebounds and made the ones he got seem pretty effortless. It's also interesting seeing a guy dunk apparently just standing on his tip-toes.

It's sad that he's that gigantism or whatever he has because he's clearly an intelligent player with some skill, but he's just sooooooo slow to react. And he's got literally no vertical, either that or he was trying to be fair to others by not jumping.

• Premium Member

THIS

Let him take his bumps as a rookie. He might develop into ROTY or we get a lottery pick in a deep draft (maybe even both). Either way, a win-win for the franchise.

He's still a rookie and he was playing against other rookies. His passing was good but until they put that little person out there on him, he looked outsized by everyone.

Bebe- C+

Strengths:

Above average offensive BBIQ.

Movement off the ball.

The ability to finish through contact in the air.

Court Vision

Passing skills

Weaknesses:

Size

Defensive BBIQ This stood out more than anything.

Hands when getting rebounds

Defensive instincts

Can get lazy on defense

He was very raw but I wouldn't mind seeing him on the roster. He can develop while getting 5-10 MPG for us. I think he needs NBA coaching.

Dennis Schröder- B

Strengths:

PnR abilities

Court Vision Stood out more than anything else.

Ability to read the defense and find the open man

Passing skills

Quickness

Ball handling

Spot up shooter

Defensive effort and intensity

Finishing the play when it's not designed for him. Euro tend to do this well.

Weaknesses:

Size

Defensive BBIQ

Overaggressive to an extreme degree till the 4QT when he adjusted.

Running the offense.

Fighting through screens.

Finishing at the rim.

Decision making skills.

No advanced skills.

Dennis is good enough right now to be a below average PG in the NBA on par with Steve Blake and Luke Ridnour. His thing is his potential is off the charts and he could be even better with Al Horford who is elite at the PnR. While Jeff Teague is clearly better than Dennis Schröder, Dennis will likely be a better player this time next year and should be better for the rest of his career.

John Jenkins- B+

Strengths:

Shooting

Scoring

Attacking the basket when the defense gives it to you.

Passing skills

Defensive effort

Off the ball movement

Weaknesses:

Defense

Tend to disappear when Mack was the PG.

Bullock lit him up at times.

Jenkins showed that he has starting potential and he is more than just a shooter, he is a scorer.

Mike M: C

Strength

He had solid NBA level skills

Effort

BBIQ

Weaknesses

Athleticism

Size

No advanced skills.

Mike looks like a 3rd Center option and nothing more or less. He's not ready to be the center and should have a nice stay in the NBDL.

Big man from Serbia: C

Strengths:

Size

Passing skills

space eater

Post moves to a degree.

Weaknesses:

Agilty

Speed

Quickness

Athleticism

Hands

He should get more looks. I like him. I don't know if he can be Ivan for us but I am very curious to continue watching him. Hard say he should be on the team or not yet.

Mike Scott didn't make noise to me nor did Daniels and others.

Potential:

Bebe: Floor: rookie Tyson Chandler Ceiling: Prime Tyson Chandler

Schröder: Floor: Brevin Knight Ceiling: Blend of a RH Mike Conley/Rajon Rondo

Mike Jenkins: Floor: Travis Best Ceiling: Jeff Hornecek

Mike M: Floor: John Wolf Ceiling: Prime Mike Miller

Big man: Floor: Priest Launderdale Ceiling: Geoghes Measuran

Edited by nbasupes40retired

• Premium Member

The most impressive thing about today was the fact that these had not practice together as unit at all..Bebe was given permission to play just before the game so it was basically street ball with no set plays. Also Muscala will not play center in the NBA...He has the skills and size that translates to the traditional NBA 4. He even play a lot of 4 in the 1st game. The team should be much better once they get a few practices under their belts. Except maybe Cunningham and Weems