• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How to build a roster capable of going to the NBA Finals

GameTime

Now the question is not "Can Al Be Tim Duncan?" The question is can he be equal or close to a 37 year old Tim.

Stats Per 36 Minutes:

Spurs 2013 NBA Finals Roster (58-24)

PG: Tony Parker (22 PPG; 3 RPG; 8 APG; 52% FG; 35% 3FG)

SG: Danny Green (14 PPG; 4 RPG; 2 APG; 45% FG; 43% 3FG)SF: Kawhii Leonard (14 PPG; 7 RPG; 2 APG; 49% FG; 37% 3FG)

PF: Tim Duncan (21 PPG; 12 RPG; 3 APG; 50% FG)

C: Tiago Splitter (15 PPG; 9 RPG; 2 APG; 52% FG)

6th: Manu Ginobli (18 PPG; 5 RPG; 7 APG; 43% FG; 35% 3FG)

7th: Boris Diaw (9 PPG; 5 RPG; 4 APG; 54% FG; 39% 3FG)

8th: Gary Neal (16 PPG; 3 RPG; 3 APG; 41% FG; 36% 3FG)

Hawks 2014 Roster (so far) (?)

PG: Jeff Teague (16 PPG; 3 RPG; 8 APG; 45% FG; 36% 3FG)

SG: John Jenkins (15 PPG; 4 RPG; 2 APG; 45% FG; 38% 3FG)

SF: Kyle Korver (13 PPG; 5 RPG; 2 APG; 46% FG; 46% 3FG)

PF: Paul Millsap (17 PPG; 8 RPG; 3 APG; 49% FG)

C: Al Horford (17 PPG; 10 RPG; 3 APG; 54% FG)

6th: Lou Williams (18 PPG; 3 RPG; 5 APG; 42% FG; 37% 3FG)

7th: DeMarre Carroll (13 PPG; 6 RPG; 2 APG; 46% FG; 29% 3FG)

8th: ?

Comparing the two lineups allows us to kinda see the vision Bud/Ferry has for this team. We as fans kinda overlook for big names, but this Spurs team won 58 games last year! Bud/Ferry are obviously showing us that it is more about system fits than big names.

Two shooters in the lineup with two post players that can pass. I would argue that a Horford/Millsap frontline is better than a Duncan/Splitter frontcourt at this stage of Duncan's career. Lou/Manu orchestrating the second team

But can Jeff Teague be taught in this system and be the attack guard this system needs? If he can, this team can surprise people. If Teague steps up, all this starting lineup is missing is a Kawhi Leonard. We might not be as far off as contenders as you may think.

WE NOW HAVE THE BEST OFFENSIVE/DEFENSIVE SCHEMES IN THE NBA

Ok so I added up the PPG. If you look at that just add them up the Spurs are at 257, the Hawks? Even with me plugging in a 20PPG person? 229. Scoring is iffy here.

Ok so I added up the PPG. If you look at that just add them up the Spurs are at 257, the Hawks? Even with me plugging in a 20PPG person? 229. Scoring is iffy here.

Per 36 numbers from last year.

Edited by GameTime

• Premium Member

I call this, "Baby Jordan" syndrome...

Remember when it seemed like every new and exciting player coming into the league was the "next" Michael Jordan? Grant Hill, Harold Minor, Kobe... It's fun to draw comparisons to different players and yes, there are similarities between John Stockton and Dan Dickau (they're both Caucasian!). Ultimately, the numbers are going to betray you because they can't exactly account for how a player plays the game.

The big difference between Al and Duncan? Al is not so great at creating his own shot. Al is a fast movement player with a jumpshot, a lot of hustle, and a limited post game. Duncan is a fundamentally flawless low post threat. You don't give Al the ball, you get it to him and you need a high quality COMPLIMENT to do that. Duncan? You don't really need shit. You give him the ball, clear out, and wait for the defense to panic. You put another all star next to him, and surround him with shooters, you win championships.

If you are basing your "championship" aspirations on building around Horford the same way, you are in for an awful early morning wake up call...with no coffee.

• Like 2