• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Any runners on the Squawk

Dragitoff

Obviously the Hawks are a passion for me, but I have another passion and it's probably my one lone hobby I still have. I've been running for a little less than 3 years now. I started doing it as a way to lose weight and it definitely worked. I've dropped over 60 pounds and still losing. I run about 25-30 miles a week now. I was just curious if anyone else on the Squawk considers themselves a runner. I know quite a few of us on here talk about playing basketball and often basketball players are avid runners since the 2 sports go hand in hand. Just curious if there's any others out there like me that love to run.

• Like 1

no, but i started playing indoor soccer this past year (after a 20+ year hiatus), and thought about starting to do some running during the week just so i won't get ridiculously winded within 30 seconds on the field.

Any suggestions or things to avoid would be appreciated. Thinking of intermixing sprints and jogging, working up to 40-60 minutes at a time to simulate what i have to do on the field.

• Like 1

no, but i started playing indoor soccer this past year (after a 20+ year hiatus), and thought about starting to do some running during the week just so i won't get ridiculously winded within 30 seconds on the field.

Any suggestions or things to avoid would be appreciated. Thinking of intermixing sprints and jogging, working up to 40-60 minutes at a time to simulate what i have to do on the field.

birddirt, I would recommend running easy, doing weights (squat, deadlift, abs, twist, calves, optional bench, optional row, optional dip), plus easy plyometrics. Playing soccer can be your hard aerobic workout.

If you want some decent running workouts, I have two for you. The first is running 80m at 80% (I'm guessing your fitness level), resting 15s, then running back. I run a bit further than 80m, but this is a good lactate workout; you should eventually shoot for doing this for about 10 minutes. You want to run with good form, long strides. another running workout involves setting up 4 cones 30m apart. run tempo pace for the first 30 m build up to 90-100% (basically a tough sprint) for 30m, then decelerate. Start with 1 set. Then ( a week later) do 2 with 3 minutes rest in between. Then do 3, etc. Don't do more than 5 of these. You will be very sore after your first workout if you sprint correctly.

I can give you some more workouts. My coach is an Olympian and a world record holder, so although I'm a moron I do get exposed to some good ideas.

one big key is spacing your hard workouts between either active recovery or complete rest. good luck!

• Like 2

I tell every new runner to use the C25K method where you run what you can and walk when you need to. Stick with a set amount of time and keep trying to improve on that.

When I first started running, I knew nothing about it. I had purchased a treadmill and knew I needed to get on it and lose some weight. I would be on it for 20 minutes per day. I'd run as much of that 20 minutes as I could and then would walk when I needed to. Each day I tried to improve on the previous days' run. I did that 5-6 times per week.

Once I was able to run the entire 20 minutes, I tried to run it faster. Once I felt I was running it at a reasonable pace, I increased it to 25 minutes, then 30, then 35 up to 45 minutes. Once I was running for 45 minutes per day (about 4.5-5 miles per day), I decided I wanted to go run outside. Once the training wheels were off (what I call it running off the dreadmill), I started running longer on the weekends. Now I'm up to running 4-8 miles per day during the week and then 8-20 (if I'm training for a race) on the weekends.

Through the running I lost over 60 pounds and I'm still running, but I feel like the fitness I've gained has helped me with basketball and could definitely help with any other sport. I've gotten a lot faster too. Faster even than when I was in high school and weighed a little less than I do now.

I definitely recommend running to anyone! It's a sick passion I have now.

• Like 1

yeah, about 90 miles a week right now. Training for the 800m, oddly enough.

That is some crazy mileage! Even if I had the fitness, I don't know how I'd have enough time to run that many miles! Congrats! That is truly a feat! When training for full marathons, I typically max out at about 36-37 miles per week and it's so tough working that into my crazy schedule. I couldn't imagine doing more than twice that much! WOW!

What level are you training for? Olympics? World Games? or something much smaller scale? Either way, that's really great!

I liked your post about your coach also. I was self trained and self taught as a runner and the problem with that is every article or blog you read has a difference of opinion and you bounce around and get injured and/or make no progress because you're constantly battling yourself. As an overweight guy trying to run long distances, I did what many did and chose to go with a run/walk method. Even then, I didn't follow a Galloway plan or anything. I just ran a certain amount of time and walked a certain amount of time. It worked for a while, but once the mileage started adding up, I could not get over the hump around 16-17 miles. I'd finish my runs, but I'd be worthless for the rest of the day and usually in a great deal of pain.

After the encouragement of my wife, I finally sought out a coach. Unfortunately, we only work together via email/phone so he doesn't get to see me run often, but it worked for me. He helped me design a running program based on ME, not some cookie-cutter program made for every type of runner out there.Most importantly, he showed me how to run longer and faster and abandon the run/walk method. I'm not against it, and even recommend it for beginners, but for me, I couldn't ever settle into a rythmn and each time I'd break for a walk, it became that much harder to start back up. My mind was telling my body it needed a walk break earlier than it was time for. It was even more of a mental game than distance running normally is.

I'm not an elite runner by any means, but I started working with him late in 2012 just before I started training for my first full. Earlier this year, from the second week of January to the second week of April, I ran and PR'd every race which consisted of a full marathon, 3 half marathons, 5K and a 4 mile trail race. I shaved almost 20 minutes off my half marathon race PR and each half I ran, I knocked over a minute off my previous PR. I shaved over a minute off my 5K PR. All this at age 34.

I'm a believer a coach makes all the difference in the world. I'm still in awe over your mileage. That's something to be proud of.

I use to run a lot but now I stick to stuff like Warrior Dash, Mud Run or Guinness Pub Run (you have to drink 4 pints of Guinness during the race)....basically runs that are either fun or have obstacles.

I did my first trail race earlier this year and had to do it dressed in drag as Snow White (I lost a bet). lol. The race was pretty challenging because there were some massive hills and switchbacks and a ton of roots. The course was narrow at most places making passing difficult....and muddy. Very muddy. It was fun and something different. I could see those obstacle races being extremely fun.

I got invited to run a Warrior Dash with my brother earlier this year, but I was running a half that same day and my wife was running her first half in the same race. I definitely want to do one, but haven't done it yet.

birddirt, I would recommend running easy, doing weights (squat, deadlift, abs, twist, calves, optional bench, optional row, optional dip), plus easy plyometrics. Playing soccer can be your hard aerobic workout.

If you want some decent running workouts, I have two for you. The first is running 80m at 80% (I'm guessing your fitness level), resting 15s, then running back. I run a bit further than 80m, but this is a good lactate workout; you should eventually shoot for doing this for about 10 minutes. You want to run with good form, long strides. another running workout involves setting up 4 cones 30m apart. run tempo pace for the first 30 m build up to 90-100% (basically a tough sprint) for 30m, then decelerate. Start with 1 set. Then ( a week later) do 2 with 3 minutes rest in between. Then do 3, etc. Don't do more than 5 of these. You will be very sore after your first workout if you sprint correctly.

I can give you some more workouts. My coach is an Olympian and a world record holder, so although I'm a moron I do get exposed to some good ideas.

one big key is spacing your hard workouts between either active recovery or complete rest. good luck!

I tell every new runner to use the C25K method where you run what you can and walk when you need to. Stick with a set amount of time and keep trying to improve on that.

When I first started running, I knew nothing about it. I had purchased a treadmill and knew I needed to get on it and lose some weight. I would be on it for 20 minutes per day. I'd run as much of that 20 minutes as I could and then would walk when I needed to. Each day I tried to improve on the previous days' run. I did that 5-6 times per week.

Once I was able to run the entire 20 minutes, I tried to run it faster. Once I felt I was running it at a reasonable pace, I increased it to 25 minutes, then 30, then 35 up to 45 minutes. Once I was running for 45 minutes per day (about 4.5-5 miles per day), I decided I wanted to go run outside. Once the training wheels were off (what I call it running off the dreadmill), I started running longer on the weekends. Now I'm up to running 4-8 miles per day during the week and then 8-20 (if I'm training for a race) on the weekends.

Through the running I lost over 60 pounds and I'm still running, but I feel like the fitness I've gained has helped me with basketball and could definitely help with any other sport. I've gotten a lot faster too. Faster even than when I was in high school and weighed a little less than I do now.

I definitely recommend running to anyone! It's a sick passion I have now.

Thanks for all the info guys, I appreciate it. I've never been good with basic training exercise (running, weights, etc.), though still like to stay active with soccer, bball, skateboarding. I've been thinking recently about doing some running for the purpose of stepping up my game/stamina for my soccer games -- I play in an over 30 league, so it's all for fun and old man bragging rights. I'll try some of these things you suggested, and maybe add in a little relaxed run/jog time with the wife and dogs on weekends.

I use to run a lot but now I stick to stuff like Warrior Dash, Mud Run or Guinness Pub Run (you have to drink 4 pints of Guinness during the race)....basically runs that are either fun or have obstacles.

Now that seems like my kind of run!

• Moderators

I did a Zombie Run in Atlanta earlier this year, but I have problems with the arches in my feet when I run too much. I think it is the repetitive motion because I play soccer twice a week with no issues but even running 3 miles I have pain in the foot. My wife is training for a half marathon after never doing anything active or athletic in her life so I am very proud of her and my 10 year old son seems like a natural runner and won his age group in a recent 10K race and would have finished 3rd or better in my age group (he is doing 8 mile runs 3 days a week with my wife right now and she has to hold him back on time and distance). My wife started slow and gradually built up over time so I would find a routine you can stick with rather than biting off more than you can chew.

When I started playing soccer again after a hiatus (not 20 years), I remember having problems with the fitness as well. I would suggest finding a pickup game to add to your weekend (assuming your indoor game is weekday but switch them if not). If you are in Atlanta, there are a lot of pickup games out there.

• Like 1

• Moderators

FYI - With the Zombie run, you have 3 balloons and the zombies try to pop them. It is a mix of jogging and sprinting.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The best moment was that there was a 'zombie' there with only one leg. Someone made some cocky comment about not having to worry about a cripple (it wasn't quite that crass but wasn't respectful either) and she popped up, snagged one of his balloons and sent him running for his life.

• Like 1