• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

U're welcome Georgia - signed Miami defense

Admin

I actually hate Florida losing that game. Why do I hate it? Because when we play Flordia, I want them to be ranked so we have a chance to beat another ranked team which will help us go up in the BCS standings. So F MIAMI!

Edited by AHawks89

Another step in the right direction for the U!!!! Now if the NCAA can finally give us our penalties so we can move on. This is only going to help recruiting. Awesome win today.

• Like 1

• Moderators

How does it not help Georgia when both Georgia and Florida are in the SEC East?

Record outside of conference means nothing for the SEC East standings. Record against non-conference teams is not a tie-breaker or anything so the Miami game is irrelevant to UGA other than the fact that UF will be ranked lower when they play. AHawks89 is correctly pointing out that this actually hurts UGA but it is minor enough that I still enjoy seeing the Gators go down almost regardless of the opponent.

• Like 1

• Moderators

In the SEC, the BCS has never come into play in tie-breaker situations. I'd say it is quite unlikely to happen but it would help UGA if UF is one of the teams in a 3 way tie for the Eastern Division (likely a scenario where they lose to USC but beat UGA). If UGA beat UF, they win all tiebreaker scenarios even if they lose to LSU.

A. TWO-TEAM TIE

1. Head-to-head competition between the two tied teams.
2. Records of the tied teams within the division.
3. Head-to-head competition vs. the team within the division with the best overall record (divisional and non-divisional) Conference record and proceeding through the division. Multiple ties within the division will be broken from first to last.
4. Overall record vs. all common non-divisional opponents.
5. Combined record vs. all common non-divisional teams.
6. Record vs. common non-divisional team with the best overall Conference (divisional and non-divisional) record and proceeding through other common non-divisional teams based on their order of finish within their division.
7. The tied team with the highest ranking in the Bowl Championship Series Standings following the last weekend of regular-season games shall be the divisional representative in the SEC Championship Game.

B. THREE (OR MORE) TEAM TIE

1. (Once the tie has been reduced to two teams, go to the two-team tie-breaker format.)
2. Combined head-to-head record among the tied teams.
3. Record of the tied teams within the division.
4. Head-to-head competition vs. the team within the division with the best overall (divisional and non-divisional) Conference record and proceeding through the division. Multiple ties within the division will be broken from first to last.
5. Overall record vs. non-division teams.
6. Combined record vs. all common non-divisional teams.
7. Record vs. common non-divisional team with the best overall Conference (divisional and non-divisional) record and proceeding through other common non-divisional teams based on their order of finish within their division.
8. The tied team with the highest ranking in the Bowl Championship Series Standings following the last weekend of regular-season games shall be the divisional representative in the SEC Championship Game, unless the second of the tied teams is ranked within five-or-fewer places of the highest ranked tied team. In this case, the head-to-head results of the top two ranked tied teams shall determine the representative in the SEC Championship Game.

Edited by AHF

• Moderators

Hmm I didn't realize out of conference games wouldn't affect the standings. It won't matter anyway as UGA won't be in the BCS championship hunt at the end of the season.

They have a shot at it but their defense is going to be outmatched most weeks so the offense has to be top notch for that to happen.

I'd say their chances are as good as Miami's of being in the BCS championship hunt. (I.e., low but at least on the board for both teams).

They have a shot at it but their defense is going to be outmatched most weeks so the offense has to be top notch for that to happen. I'd say their chances are as good as Miami's of being in the BCS championship hunt. (I.e., low but at least on the board for both teams).

Oh I'm sure they have a better shot than Miami. We aren't a very good team yet but luckily have a fairly winnable schedule. Season will be over when we play at FSU as that's a sure loss.But I don't see Georgia having a shot at the title when you've got Alabama or A&M who could go unbeaten.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Oh I'm sure they have a better shot than Miami. We aren't a very good team yet but luckily have a fairly winnable schedule. Season will be over when we play at FSU as that's a sure loss.But I don't see Georgia having a shot at the title when you've got Alabama or A&M who could go unbeaten.

The shot for UGA is the same as last year - if you play an unbeaten Alabama in the SEC championship with only one loss then the winner is highly likely to be in the title game. Last year, UGA missed by a single pass. I don't think their D is as good this season but I'm not going to write them off yet.

The shot for UGA is the same as last year - if you play an unbeaten Alabama in the SEC championship with only one loss then the winner is highly likely to be in the title game. Last year, UGA missed by a single pass. I don't think their D is as good this season but I'm not going to write them off yet.

... and Alabama looks to be a much better team this year. They've got a legit offense and the D is still really good. I don't see anyone beating them this year. A&M was probably the only team who had a real shot and they blew it.

• Moderators

UGA's odds aren't good - I wouldn't advise betting on them to win a championship unless someone gives you crazy odds. But they are still meaningful.

How many champions has football seen with one or more losses over the last 10 years (2012-2003)?

2012- 1 loss Alabama

2011 - 1 loss Alabama

2008 - 1 loss Florida

2007 - 2 loss LSU

2006 - 1 loss Florida

2003 - 1 loss USC

Only 40% of champions have gone undefeated over the last 10 years. I know UGA doesn't control its own destiny but if they emerge from the SEC championship game with 1 loss (which I recognize is not a high probability event) then their odds of playing in the championship are pretty darn good (probably somewhere close to a coin flip).

Edited by AHF

UGA's odds aren't good - I wouldn't advise betting on them to win a championship unless someone gives you crazy odds. But they are still meaningful.

How many champions has football seen with one or more losses over the last 10 years (2012-2003)?

2012- 1 loss Alabama

2011 - 1 loss Alabama

2008 - 1 loss Florida

2007 - 2 loss LSU

2006 - 1 loss Florida

2003 - 1 loss USC

Only 40% of champions have gone undefeated over the last 10 years. I know UGA doesn't control its own destiny but if they emerge from the SEC championship game with 1 loss (which I recognize is not a high probability event) then their odds of playing in the championship are pretty darn good (probably somewhere close to a coin flip).

Difference is that all of those teams were among the very best in the nation and UGA aren't. They're probably a top 10-15 team but they aren't an elite team. The chances of them winning their own conference are likely slim to none and realistically they'd be among the worst teams in the ACC :)

• Moderators

UGA looks like no worse than even odds against any ACC team on a neutral field this season.

I picked Clemson to win the opener so obviously I don't think this year's UGA team is a world beater. I am just pointing out that there is no reason to give up hope at this point of the season even though realistically you have to think that they aren't going to be near a championship.

Kind of like every reasonably strong ACC team for the last decade should have maintained hope for a championship until that possibility was completely gone even though realistically they weren't going to win one.

UGA looks like no worse than even odds against any ACC team on a neutral field this season.

I picked Clemson to win the opener so obviously I don't think this year's UGA team is a world beater. I am just pointing out that there is no reason to give up hope at this point of the season even though realistically you have to think that they aren't going to be near a championship.

Kind of like every reasonably strong ACC team for the last decade should have maintained hope for a championship until that possibility was completely gone even though realistically they weren't going to win one.

I was being sarcastic, of course Georgia are better than most ACC teams and maybe all of them on any given Saturday. But I still don't see them as a top 5 team or a BCS championship contender.

• Moderators

I was being sarcastic, of course Georgia are better than most ACC teams and maybe all of them on any given Saturday. But I still don't see them as a top 5 team or a BCS championship contender.

I don't either but I didn't see a 2 loss LSU winning a championship either or Butler missing a men's basketball championship by a bad bounce on the rim, etc. The SEC champ will be in the mix if they are a 1 loss team with each team needing some good breaks to be in the discussion. It is in the realm of low probability but reasonably possible for UGA to be that team.

I don't either but I didn't see a 2 loss LSU winning a championship either or Butler missing a men's basketball championship by a bad bounce on the rim, etc. The SEC champ will be in the mix if they are a 1 loss team with each team needing some good breaks to be in the discussion. It is in the realm of low probability but reasonably possible for UGA to be that team.

I think it would take AJ McCarrens getting hurt for there to be any chance at Alabama stumbling and there's probably nobody on Oregon's schedule who will really challenge them. If Georgia finds a way to sneak by LSU Saturday then I'll change my tune on them, but I'm pretty sure that will be the end of their season after tomorrow.

• Moderators

I think it would take AJ McCarrens getting hurt for there to be any chance at Alabama stumbling and there's probably nobody on Oregon's schedule who will really challenge them. If Georgia finds a way to sneak by LSU Saturday then I'll change my tune on them, but I'm pretty sure that will be the end of their season after tomorrow.

The dream is alive.