• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hoopshype: Top 50 players in Hawks History

capstone21

Only player in history to make All NBA every year he played. Case = settled.

Sorry, I respect him and players in his era but his era was not full of athletic monsters who played above the rim + the guy was 6'9 205 pounds. Think about how that would work today

No u can't make an argument for him being the GOAT

• Moderators

I don't think you can make a case for him being the GOAT and I have a ton of respect for Pettit. That said, you can't make a good case against him as the best player in Hawks history unless your argument amounts to "old players suck." It is like making an argument against Babe Ruth or Ted Williams because Pettit's accomplishments and his standing among his peers sets him apart as the #1 guy in Hawks history so the only way you get there is by simply discounting the significance of the entire era.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Sorry, I respect him and players in his era but his era was not full of athletic monsters who played above the rim + the guy was 6'9 205 pounds. Think about how that would work today

No u can't make an argument for him being the GOAT

Who cares how tall he was? Barkley and Rodman were several inches SHORTER than him and still Hall of Fame players. Pettit would be just as good if not better in today's game with the advance conditioning and training that would be open to him. The only argument you are trying to use is "he played too long ago to count today" which is complete crap frankly.

• Moderators

Who cares how tall he was? Barkley and Rodman were several inches SHORTER than him and still Hall of Fame players. Pettit would be just as good if not better in today's game with the advance conditioning and training that would be open to him. The only argument you are trying to use is "he played too long ago to count today" which is complete crap frankly.

We aren't too far off from someone applying that to Nique on the Squawk. We are years past the point where RealGM posters discount Nique because he played so long ago (and Jordan and Pippen and Hakeem, etc.). On RealGM, there was an attitude that if it didn't happen in the last 10 years then it really wasn't relevant to today's cutting edge NBA from a lot of posters. Thank goodness we haven't seen that kind of stuff with any regularity from people on this site.

Sorry, I respect him and players in his era but his era was not full of athletic monsters who played above the rim + the guy was 6'9 205 pounds. Think about how that would work today No u can't make an argument for him being the GOAT

Imho the Goat should be viewn in comparision to his competion, not on the game you would have when you invent a time maschine and let all of them play against each other in the prime. For me it is relevant that they pushed the Limit during the time they was active. But even when he was in All "All NBA teams" he wouldn't be in my closer consideration for GOAT, i believe at least in his late years Russel and Wilt was active who are for me GOAT candidates and one level above Petit.But he is definately one of the all time greats, and i would rate him higher then wilikins and Pistol Pete who are maybe the biggest names amoung hawks players.What i read about Maravich i think it is ok to say that he was overated, since his playing style was full of highlights but not always what you call efficient - but i believe if they implemented the 3 point line 10 years earlier he would have deserved the biggest contract of the NBA.

I understand that people that did not watch Pete Maravich play will never *get* just how good he was. Just like people can describe Bob Cousy all day long to me and I will not be able to *get* his greatness just from things I have read. But I do feel sorry for people that never saw "showtime" live.