• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks - Knicks

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

Will Mike Woodson be saved by the Hawks once again? The New York Knicks have a gaudy 6-1 record against the Atlanta Hawks during Woody’s tenure, including the last five meetings. But they’re seeking to avoid their fifth consecutive loss at Madison Square Garden. Woody’s Knicks (3-5) are rested up and lying in wait tonight (7:30 PM Eastern, SportSouth, MSG Network), hoping the Hawks (5-4) will oblige and help them end the week squaring their season’s win total. Under the heat lamp of the ruthless NYC media at the World’s Most Famous Arena, New York’s defense continues to wilt. New York has managed to employ Woodson’s low-tempo pace and high-motion defense to positive effect whenever they take their show on the road, giving up just 88.0 points per game. But something’s not going right when James Dolan and Spike Lee are watching up close. Knicks opponents, the last four in particular, are piling up the points with little resistance at MSG (104.4 PPG in five home games, 110.0 PPG in the last four). In those last four losses to Minnesota, Charlotte, San Antonio, and most recently Houston on Thursday, the Knicks have been leaving players open for three-pointers, and those foes have been taking full advantage, connecting on more than double the treys (8.8 opponent 3FG made per game, vs. 4.0 in NYK road games) with superior efficiency (37.5 opponent 3FG% at MSG, vs. 21.4 3FG% in NYK away games). Those teams also averaged 38.5 free throw attempts, compared to just 23.3 by the Knicks’ three road opponents. The Hawks would do well to minimize the mid-range action on offense. In New York’s owner-guaranteed victory on Wednesday night in Atlanta, the Knicks did as solid a job as anyone in disrupting Kyle Korver’s offensive flow – cutting off passes, taking the ball out of his hands, double-teaming him in the corners, making him work harder than he already does to get open in halfcourt sets. To build up the advantage along the perimeter that previous MSG visitors have enjoyed, Atlanta must find ways to get Korver back in a groove. Without offensive utility from DeMarre Carroll (career-high 21 points last night vs. Philadelphia) or Cartier Martin (a combined 35.0 3FG% on Wednesday), New York’s wings just sag off of them and meet Korver coming off of screens. In short stints, newly-activated Lou Williams may draw enough attention to peel extra Korver defenders away. Good news, visitors… crime around Philips Arena is down! That was evidenced by the Hawks’ ONE solitary pickpocket against New York, which committed just 3 turnovers on Wednesday, the fewest for the Knicks in an NBA game since March 2009. Atlanta must exert better pressure on New York’s ballhandlers and get a transition game going. Otherwise, New York will continue grinding out the clock and executing their plays with impunity. Mike Woodson knows that “no team is going to want to deal with” J.R. Smith, and he’s not referring to when the reigning Sixth Man of the Year rediscovers his jumper (25.7 FG% through 3 games). Smith continues to create hostile and unnecessary distractions every time he lets someone electronically get under his heavily-tatted skin. Smith effectively spaced the floor for Anthony’s benefit on Wednesday, but if his early offensive woes continue, look for Woodson to turn to rookie Tim Hardaway, Jr., who had a rookie-career-high 14 points against the Hawks. Does The Gustavo Ayón Experiment continue tonight? Carmelo Anthony (25 points on 9-for-25 FGs, 4 rebounds, 2 assists) hardly had to lift a finger on the defensive side of the ball on Wednesday, but he could have a lot more on his plate if he’s starting the game against Al Horford while Paul Millsap, Melo’s best defender on Wednesday, subs off the bench. Millsap struggled in offensive fits and starts versus New York, but his defensive effect showed even more the next night, when Carmelo was carrying the Knicks’ offense (45 points on 17-for-30 FGs, 10 rebounds, 4 assists) against the Rockets. Ayón and Pero Antić will have to hold their own against Andrea Bargnani, who seems momentarily rejuvenated on the offensive end. Il Mago will be looking for his third-straight 20+ point performance in almost a year tonight. He followed up his 20-point, 11-rebound night against Atlanta with 24 points and 3-for-3 three-point shooting versus Houston. Hawks defenders will have to adjust whenever their center has to step out of the paint to deal with Bargs. Go Hawks! ~lw3 View the full article

• Like 3

Can the Hawks finally get 2 games over .500 tonight? This win one lose one nonsense needs to stop and we need to get on a little run and create some separation from our our losses. I'm predicting that we win this one tonight and our offense and defense both look much better than they did on Wednesday.

Can the Hawks finally get 2 games over .500 tonight? This win one lose one nonsense needs to stop and we need to get on a little run and create some separation from our our losses. I'm predicting that we win this one tonight and our offense and defense both look much better than they did on Wednesday.

We need to lose games... I admit though, it gets hard to stick to that when the games start. Wanting to lose just isn't natural.

• Like 1

We need to lose games... I admit though, it gets hard to stick to that when the games start. Wanting to lose just isn't natural.

I know we need to but I can't cheer for us to lose. I'd rather cheer for the Nets to lose and us to win and then take their pick!

• Like 3

Can we stop the rein of three point terror?

Last time we met these guys, they had hit their game average before the half.

Can we hold Anthony under 40 points again?

Can we please hit some of our threes!

GO HAWKS!

Hit those free throws!

• Like 1

Can we stop the rein of three point terror?

Last time we met these guys, they had hit their game average before the half.

Can we hold Anthony under 40 points again?

Can we please hit some of our threes!

GO HAWKS!

Hit those free throws!

How about every time a Hawk misses a FT we take a shot? JK I don't want any drunk drivers out there tonight. Seriously though every time we miss a FT I imagine Gray Mule shaking his head. I'm still befuddled at how Millsap can be such a poor FT shooter with his nice looking form and keep hoping that someday Al will become a better FT shooter because if we ever do become a good team we're going to need both of those guys to be reliable FT shooters.