Selling high

tbhawksfan

The Hawks are playing well. We have 3 nice players in Horf, Teague and Millsap. Beyond that, we basically have nothing that would appear to be able to contribute to us contending.The direction of the team seems to be, status quo, waiting on an opportunity to add through the draft, FAcy or snag an opportune trade.Tanking seems senseless because it would be difficult to obtain a worse pick than Bryk.What are the chances that we draft a player that will come to this group and take us to the top? Where are or who are the players we're going to steal from some other team while ou-negotiating 28 other teams to get them.Stating the courst might get us a 3 seed this year. Not bad. But, the chances of a 3 seed Haxks team contending are about 0%.Why not take a more agressive approach and dangle our in their prime valuable players for future investment? If we were able to trade our 3 guys for younger players with nice potential and/or picks, we could possibly keep our pick this year (instead of exchanging with Bryk), get a top 10 pick, develop our younger team and get a likely even better Bryk pick next season. Of course the team would lose more in the short-term, but there would be an improved chance at building a contender in the longer term.Pushing back a window of opportunity to get a better opportunity is a strategy. Our present window of opportunity is so small that it's not even an opportunity.I'd rather take the chance and watch the next group grow. With Ferry and Bud at the helm, I'd have a lot more confidense in the teams ability to make the right trades and picks

Didn't really read the thread because it's the same thing as any other topic about rebuilding but you know we do have Korver and Lou Williams who help this team out a lot!

Not just Millsap, Teague, and Al

Edited by AHawks89
  • Like 3

No sense in us having a tanking competition with the Nets. Just let the Nets tank for us.

I think there will a fire sale at the trade deadline for the 12 - 15 teams who's goal is to tank. Lets see if we can pick up another good player for chopped liver at the trade deadline..........and then add the Nets probable lottery pick to our assets.

• Like 4

• Moderators

No sense in us having a tanking competition with the Nets. Just let the Nets tank for us.

I think there will a fire sale at the trade deadline for the 12 - 15 teams who's goal is to tank. Lets see if we can pick up another good player for chopped liver at the trade deadline..........and then add the Nets probable lottery pick to our assets.

Yes! East teams in particular will be looking to dump good players in the race to the bottom.

Any of y'all have an idea of who could be available? Seems like a double-edged sword or catch-22 or whatever. Teams will be trying to get rid of high-dollar/low production guys, IOW guys we don't want.

Its a bit early to project as the trade deadling isn't until 2/20/2014......................2.5 months and about 30 games away.

• Moderators

The idea of the Hawks tanking as in trying to lose games this season is silly. That ship has sailed. We were built to be mediocre not to be at the top of the lottery.

If we trade players it won't be to make our record worse - it will be because we want whatever assets we are receiving in the deal. The only way that results in us really losing a lot more games is if we trade those guys for future draft assets plus underachieving filler. The added losing would be a side effect of that trade not the intent as with a trade to tank, though.

• Like 3

We need to keep winning. Let the Nets tank for us. At the deadline keep our eyes on those teams that want to tank which will probably include the Bulls for example who have guys like Deng and Noah who would be awesome for us. Plus a lot of other teams and players. For the first time in a long time, Ferry has put us in the drivers seat and given us many options.

We lucked into the Nets pick which will hopefully land us a top pick. Just have to sit back and see if any good deals fall into our lap.

I probably missed this earlier but I didn't realize we get to keep our pick or get the Nets pick depending on which one is better. That's pretty cool. Would be nice to keep both but it looks like the worse of the two will go to Boston.

2014 first round draft pick from Brooklyn

Atlanta has the right to swap its 2014 1st round pick for Brooklyn's 2014 1st round pick [Atlanta-Brooklyn, 7/11/2012]; Brooklyn will convey the less favorable of these two picks to Boston (see Brooklyn Debits)

I really think the Hawks will keep this team together at the trade deadline unless there's an absolute bargain available. It will be a different story after the lottery when the picks are set. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with two first round picks or move up in the draft.

• Moderators

Any of y'all have an idea of who could be available? Seems like a double-edged sword or catch-22 or whatever. Teams will be trying to get rid of high-dollar/low production guys, IOW guys we don't want.

I don't want anyone on the Knicks except Shumpert or Hardaway Jr. I don't want anyone from the Nets' roster. What do y'all think?

ETA: I actually thought this was another anti-Horford thread since my Horford motto is "Sell high". I'll brace for the crap storm.

DeRozan is already being talked about in Toronto and he'd fit in well here. We'd have to send a draft pick and either Milsap or Brand+others to make the numbers work. Or a three way trade may be better. Sorry to engage in trade scenarios but i think DeRozan is the type of guy who could be on the move.

Picking up more over-paid, under-acheiving plyers is not my idea of building a contender. Tehy are the only players that seem to shake lose. Harden is a rare exception. He also unexpectedly blew up right after the trade. Houston benefitted from a once every 10 yer kind of situation. Let's say we got Harden for JJ, one of our 2 picks last year and filler and hadHorf /Millsap /Carroll / KorverHarden / Lou WillJT / SchroPoint is, even benefitting from a once in a 10 year kind of deal, we wouldn't be a contender. So what's the plan to become a contender?

My only concern about the BKN pick is arent they aware we can swap too so why would they intentionally keep playing bad as the year goes on and they get back healthy and develop some chemistry? I just feel like with our luck they eventually turn it around a grab a playoff spot. As much as I hate most of their roster I have to admit they are too talented to suck for all 82 games, and there is ZERO benefit for them to remain garbage besides pissing off their owner who is paying a kings ransom for their payroll in luxury tax

• Like 1

• Moderators

My only concern about the BKN pick is arent they aware we can swap too so why would they intentionally keep playing bad as the year goes on and they get back healthy and develop some chemistry? I just feel like with our luck they eventually turn it around a grab a playoff spot. As much as I hate most of their roster I have to admit they are too talented to suck for all 82 games, and there is ZERO benefit for them to remain garbage besides pissing off their owner who is paying a kings ransom for their payroll in luxury tax

And its not going to be hard to make the playoffs in the east. In fact they only have to win the division right? Which right now means winning like 30 games

You think they are intentionally play bad?

• Admin

DeRozan is already being talked about in Toronto and he'd fit in well here. We'd have to send a draft pick and either Milsap or Brand+others to make the numbers work. Or a three way trade may be better. Sorry to engage in trade scenarios but i think DeRozan is the type of guy who could be on the move.

DeRozan is a chucker and get mine stats guy. We need team players.

• Moderators

Man, blind wild speculation is what makes the interweb magical. Sack up and throw some names out there.

LOL at you thinking they're trying to suck. The Nets are a dumpster train wreck on fire right now and they have a clown at conductor.

If they had any pride left they wouldn't be this bad right now.

He's not saying they are trying to suck. Actually just the opposite. That they are trying to win and eventually they will be better because lets face it they have some talent. Without speaking for RedDawg the point is that unlike other teams, no matter how bad the nets get they will keep trying to compete because they have nothing to gain from losing. Its hard to imagine that team not making the east playoffs with the talent they have no matter how disfunctional they are.

I dont think they are trying to suck right now, im suggesting though due to a new coach and new teamates they are struggling with chemistry and now they are also battling injuries, but if/once thry get healthy later in the year as well as gain chemistry they have enough talent to actually turn it around. The question is even if they dig a huge hole why would they stay in it as there is nothing to gain for them thus supporting my hypothesis that due to our luck it would seem unlikey that we get the dream scenario of a top lotto pick

• Like 1

Do any of you think that KG or PP or even D-Will might be traded at deadline if they are sucking? That way they can get another 1st round pick which they can keep and start rebuilding?A team looking for a PG (but not necessarily in playoff hunt) could get DWill, let him get healthy and lose some weight in preparation for next season?PP is expiring contract/KG expires next season/some team looking for a PG of the future might take a flyer on DWill, let him heal up, Lise some wright and be ready for next season.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Admin

Do any of you think that KG or PP or even D-Will might be traded at deadline if they are sucking? That way they can get another 1st round pick which they can keep and start rebuilding?A team looking for a PG (but not necessarily in playoff hunt) could get DWill, let him get healthy and lose some weight in preparation for next season?PP is expiring contract/KG expires next season/some team looking for a PG of the future might take a flyer on DWill, let him heal up, Lise some wright and be ready for next season.

They don't even have a first rounder this year (it goes to Boston)....they are in trouble

Another reason I want to get into the playoffs....I don't want Beantown to get two lottery picks this year.

I dont think they are trying to suck right now, im suggesting though due to a new coach and new teamates they are struggling with chemistry and now they are also battling injuries, but if/once thry get healthy later in the year as well as gain chemistry they have enough talent to actually turn it around. The question is even if they dig a huge hole why would they stay in it as there is nothing to gain for them thus supporting my hypothesis that due to our luck it would seem unlikey that we get the dream scenario of a top lotto pick

If they have dug themselves a big hole by say the trade deadline or by the AS game it would be because they still have chemistry issues, coaching issues, injury issues - there would be no magic pill to get them out of the hole, thus they would stay in the hole.

What luck? Lucky we got the 3rd pick to select Horford or the pick would have gone to Suns.

The Hawks are DUE! It's our time to beat the odds and get that #1 pick by having BKN tank for us! It's out time dammit! No more, no more I tell you of any Squawker doubting this possibility... RISE UP...oh wait wrong forum...heehee!

Edited by JayBirdHawk