• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hello folks. Thought I'd come here and complain

archie44

Well it's been a while. I still read the board occasionally, but not until now have I been tempted to write. Just too busy to write as much as I use to.

Our poor Hawks. 4-8 after 12 games. Is this expected? Maybe. But it does not diminish the disappointment.

This team is pitiful. The term "heartless" does not even do it justice. Teams that only show heart once in a while are usually just embarrassed; that's what brings them out of their shell allowing them to play well once in a while (like last night vs. Milwaukee, an equally pitiful team).

When you examine the team, it's obvious there are scorers all over the place. But where's the team concept? Are all of these guys pulling together? Don't think so.

Shareef Abdur-Rahim is a main part of the problem. The article by Jason Walker allowed everyone to see what we in the company have known for a while: SAR is heartless, and he only cares about cashing the check every two weeks. Can you believe he said "what does that mean?" when asked about being a captain?

If I didn't know how he was, I wouldn't have believed it myself.

I feel sorry for Terry Stotts. He knows he's a lameduck. Despite anything the Atlanta Spirit people say, there's no way he's around for the long term. They are going to want their own coach in place, and rightfully so. But you would think that Stotts would gain points around the league if he would go and strip that "C" off of Shareef Abdur-Rahim's jersey.

Any coach with security and balls would do it. Pat Riley, Phil Jackson, Paul Silas. They wouldn't put up with that crap. Shareef would have been dealt with in a hurry.

Stotts is in denial. From reading a lot of his quotes, he ignores some of the problems on this team. Does he actually believe there are no problems on rebounding? Ugh. What game is he watching? He's so stressed out that this is going to be his only chance, that he can't coach the way he probably can. It's a shame.

Now you wonder if Steven Jackson "should be dealt with in a hurry." No. Jackson showed leadership by coming out and being truthful about the team. Atlanta is not use to that, so I guess that's why the reaction has been mixed. But here's a guy who came from the NBA World Champs and is mixed up in this mess. Ugh. Poor guy. I don't blame him for being frustrated, angry. Some of our other players (particularly the ones with "C" pasted on their jerseys) should do it more often.

This team should be blown up and we should start over. Bringing Shareef home was a great idea, but his reputation is as true as it gets. He's a 20/10 guy. Well wipty-frieckin-do, so are a lot of players in the league. But there are other players who have intangibles that can't be judged by a statistic. He's heartless, and the rest of the league knows it. That's why if he is traded, we won't get equal value in return as far as talent. I honestly think we'd be better off with Gasol, Wright, and Knight.

Everybody loves Jason Terry. But he's just not a point guard. He's the biggest "tweener" in the league. He can't run an offense, and is overmatched defensively too much. He, too, should be traded when possible to maximize his value.

Dion Glover is getting significant playing time, but he's one diminsional. He couldn't guard me. He's going to leave this offseason and get a good contract, so we ought to trade him before the deadline and get a late first rounder or something.

Theo is simply frustrated. He knows he's it defensively. There's no chance to get these other people to do things right on defense, to go in the right spots on the court. So I think Theo's almost given up. [censored], if they're not going to do it, why in the [censored] should I? That's a bad attitude to take, but I think he's just fed up. He knows SAR and Dion are horrible on offense.

Diaw has promise, but the kid treats the basket like a scared virgin boy going into a whorehouse. He's athletic, rangy, but just can't shoot. Maybe he will develop into a nice player, but I doubt if he'll ever average ten points a game.

So what should we do? Tank it. We're 4-8. I don't believe there's any way we'll win 30 games, so we're already going backwards. Let's make some trade, get even more cap room, and position ourselves for a [censored] good draft pick. We need some excitement for this franchise. We need a top pick in the draft, like one of the Atlanta high school kids. That would help fill the seats a little more!

Maybe I'll pop back in here in a few months or so. Again, I hate that I had to be prompted to post, but this team takes a lot of energy out of you. In fact, you can kinda say that watching them play with apathy gives you the same attitude.

And I really hate that.

well i definitely see where you're coming from with Reef. He definitely needs to get a sense of urgency. However trading him for lesser talent may not be the answer. I think just taking away his captain status and giving it to Stephen Jackson would be the way to motivate and turn it around. I think that helps solve the mental/hussle part of our problems.

I think Jackson would really MAKE these guys play. A few wins with the hussling attitude, would help positively reinforce on the capability to win with effort.

As far as on the talent side of our problems, I too am beginning to see the issues with having JT at point. However I would think that the easiest/best way to solve that issue is picking up/trading for a big point guard that may not score alot but can dish and play defense on the opposing sg and terry play d on the opposing pg. That would give us a big advantage I beleive. Could Diaw play the point?

As far as overall prognosis, I beleive that IF Jackson can keep his troops motivated, we'll have a chance to grab that last playoff spot.

I completely disagree we cannot blow this team up and start over again and wait for another 4-5 years to develop, no way in h3ll. Reef is heartless at times, but he can show alot of heart like last night by playing hard, and hussling for the ball.

The 2 only things that is separating us from being 8-4 instead of 4-8 is committing to many turnovers and giving up offensive boards. We correct these problems by January and we make the playoffs.

I agree with JTFan.

Blowing up the team is an awful decision. We have players who, despite their flaws, can play ball.

None of the flaws are so awful that they can't be fixed. Reef lost his heart, and if we string together wins, he'll find it. When the rest of the team hustles and keeps him involved, he will find it more.

Terry can't run PG perfectly. JV is stepping up and hopefully DD can eventually contribute. Then we can make a trade or sign a PG in the offseason who is taller.

Things can be fixed... but blowing up and starting over isn't a sure thing either. I think this TEAM can win under the right direction. We have TOO much talent. Maybe Stotts can pull it together, but I think folding isn't the answer.

When we run the offense like I say to run the offense, despite what people think of his presence on the court, we win. When we run the offense away from Shareef, we lose.

It is simple. It won't work that way EVERY night, but if we run the ball away from Shareef in our halfcourt set and keep the ball OUT of the post... we will lose more often than not.

Play.

• Moderators

Like it or not Shareef is the team. And he is [censored] good. Just because he doesn't wag his toungue all the time doesn't mean he has no heart. Notice he still gets a double team everytime he touches the ball in the post. That's respect.

JT has some problems but defense is all about effort. He can improve defensively if he is forced to.

When teams aren't playing well it looks like the players suck, but when they play hard and control the ball suddenly they look like all stars.

I agree with playmaker we MUST make Reef the first option in the Half court set. It doesnt mean we are gonna feed Reef the ball every time in half court sets, but he has to get the most shots attempted in a half court set. When ever we feed Reef inside we are a better team, if he is not doubled team he will score inside on anyone if he is, he has 3 options JT, Jax and Dion all very very good spot up shooters that can also create.

I want to point out a play I loved last night. It was a pick n roll with Jacque and Reef, jacque came around the pick passed it over to Nailon and Reef kept rolling and Nailon through a beautiful lob pass to Reef for an easy alley-oop, that was a beautiful play. One thing I do notice about Stotts better than Kruger is that he has very good offensive plays and setups.

No he doesn't. Stotts has a terrible offensive philosophy because he doesn't have one. I have yet to see him play to his player's strengths and he has horrible substitution patterns. He still doesn't effectively run the halfcourt set through Reef and he refuses to run plays for JT as the shooting guard. A simple offense would be running a pick and roll with Reef and the PG and having JT waiting at the top of the key for a dump off pass. I mean basic basketball. Watch tape of the Warrior's game to see how horrible his offensive playcalling and substitution patterns are.

• Admin

I agree with a lot of what you said, especially about Reef.

I don't know if i'd blow the team up. But it definitely needs a LOT of work.

It's funny to read the replies and see people defending the players and their obvious shortcomings. feel free to post any chance you get.

Chillz,

I don't think anyone is defending the player's shortcomings. We know they exist. No one denies that Shareef lacks intensity, Terry can't run an effective PG, Theo doesn't rebound and doesn't body, Jackson can't dribble and Dion is out of control.

And that's before we get to the bench.

But, I think what we are saying is that it isn't as dreadful as all that. Despite the shortcomings, three of these players do something EXTREMELY well. Well enough to win games.

The question is how do you string it together into a unit.

Play.

Chillz,

We have been trying to make them play up to potential under a universally recognized bad first year coach and now under Stotts, who has had less than a full year to work with them.

You can't go around making wholesale changes without consequences. Losing Kruger, while the right thing, is going to take time to work out.

Now I'm sure you'll mention summer camp and such, but really, Reef wasn't there and JT didn't practice. This squad is pretty new to each other.

That is why I am reluctant to say "GET DOC OR ELSE". I don't know if switching coaches... AGAIN... is the answer. I think we need STABILITY more than any change.

This is a good group of kids and I think with a little taste of success they can go big time.

Play.

Whew!!! Archie that was a mouthful. It has been a long time hasn't it?

I agree with most of what you said, but I do not think it is time to blow things up on a team that is so close to winning.

What if Okezie had not been hurt, and if we could rely on Dan Dickau to actually run the point for 10 minutes a game (i have not seen it yet)? Or if we could sign a pg or big body and put a less useful player on the IL.

What if we could actually go to our IL and pull a rabbit out of the hat like NJ will be able to do when Luscious Harris is ready?

With our current situation, it seems that our only option is to blow up[ the team. I think this would be throwing the baby out with the bath water.

We have some nice pieces on this team, pieces that other teams would love to have. To correct this, I think we should make some smaller deals to fill the gaps. Cut Crawford and Dickau (maybe even Okezie) if we know they aren't working out. Bring some other talent to evaluate whether they can fill the minor roles we need to fill.

A PG with size, and a Big Body.

Hots,

I have to agree with you on this one. I think we need a big man that is willing to go in there and WANTS the contact.

The problem is, we either have to ditch Reef or Theo from the starting lineup.

I know some feel Reef has success at SF, but he does not. Not on the offensive end, and that is where he contributes most. Which means, we could do a lineup with:

C - Banger

PF - Reef

SF - Theo

But Theo can't play SF either.

I would hate to lose Theo. So, I am not sure where to take this one.

Truth be told, we would have done well to pick up a SF who can rebound and take the contact.

If Jackson got rebounds, we'd be pretty heavy.

Play.

I thought Vaughn would be a decent PG even before the season started, but we need another PG who can run the point and allow JT to play SG and never worry about running the offense.

This would also give us another option to push the ball in an uptempo style.