• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Good News? Carol Ross is Now Available.

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

The Bad News?

http://espn.go.com/wnba/story/_/id/10235802/wnba-exploring-options-los-angeles-sparks

Putting a team in Los Angeles was a landmark achievement for the WNBA back in 1997, so much so that the league played its inaugural game on the Sparks' home floor.
Losing Los Angeles 17 years later is almost unthinkable.
Shock waves rippled across the women's basketball universe on Thursday with the news that the WNBA is searching for a new owner for one of its core franchises after the Los Angeles Sparks' ownership group ceased operation of the franchise and laid off the team's entire front-office staff, including general manager Penny Toler, coach Carol Ross and her assistants.

But that's probably nothing compared to the shock waves rippling through WNBA offices in New York, where league president Laurel Richie is scrambling to come up with a fast fix for one of its highest-profile pillars.
"The news was absolutely a surprise to us," Richie said by phone Thursday night. Richie said she heard from Sparks chairman Paula Madison just before Christmas.
"I got the call from Paula that she and her family were no longer able to support the team," Richie said. "I have known Paula to be a passionate and committed owner, and I think it was a matter that she took on more than she could handle."
Richie confirmed that Madison's group has shut down operations and said the league is working to "figure out next steps for the Sparks as an entity." The league clarified on Thursday night that it is not taking over the Sparks franchise, merely leading the search for a new owner.
"All of this is moving very quickly," Richie said.
Players, many of whom are spending the WNBA offseason playing overseas, have been paid for the season and are still receiving their year-round benefits, Richie said.

Up in the air is what would happen to players like Candace Parker and former Dream point guard Lindsey Harding if the league can't secure a minority owner in time for the start of the season. With the expired CBA and now this, Richie sure seems to have her hands full.

~lw3

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Will they be called the Lady Lakers, tho?

Larry Burnett (via Facebook)

The WNBA will hold a news conference at 10AM (pt) Wed. morning at Staples Center's Star Plaza. WNBA President, Laurel Richie, will be there along with Magic Johnson. Sources have told me that Magic may be part of a group that will purchase the L.A. Sparks and keep them in Los Angeles.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=265233283636920

~lw3