• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks are/were unable to apply for disabled player exception for Horford

Admin

At least according to this site, since we're under the cap we weren't allowed to apply for it.

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2013/12/horford-injury-prompt.htmlThe Hawks are planning their next move in the wake of Horford‘s surgery today on a torn pectoral muscle that will keep him out for the season. The front office is evaluating its options to upgrade its depth and talent with the big man out, tweets Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. That suggests the club could be looking at a roster move.The Hawks are under the cap, so they couldn’t apply for a disabled player exception that would help them acquire a player via free agency or trade. They can only clear about $2MM worth of cap room, and while they have the $2.652MM room exception at their disposal if they want to sign a player, it probably wouldn’t take more than the minimum salary to bring in a free agent at this point. They’re at the 15-man roster limit, but they have three players on non-guaranteed deals (Mike Scott, Cartier Martin, and Shelvin Mack) whom they could waive to clear a spot.GM Danny Ferry‘s roster is “built to trade,” as Grantland’s Zach Lowe wrote earlier in the season, so it’s reasonable to expect the team to explore a swap of some kind. Lowe wrote in the same piece that Ferry had been turning down offers for Horford, and even though the big man is injured, I’d be surprised if Ferry changed his stance, since Horford is under contract for the relative bargain price of $12MM a season through 2015/16.

I really think we are going to see a bunch of trades from the Hawks over the next 6 weeks or so. Brand, Korver, Lou all have some descent trade value. Milsap probably has the highest on the team right now, but you never know what someone might offer for Horford.

I really think we are going to see a bunch of trades from the Hawks over the next 6 weeks or so. Brand, Korver, Lou all have some descent trade value. Milsap probably has the highest on the team right now, but you never know what someone might offer for Horford.

I could see any of those except for Korver. I really think Ferry likes him a lot and I have a feeling he'll be around for quite some time, or at least I hope he will. I'm on the fence about whether I'd trade Millsap (or Horford instead) though. I don't expect us to make more than 1 trade at most though.

• Like 1

I am willing to trade Millsap if the return justify trading him. I think that is Ferry approach. As for the exception no surprise. Meanwhile the team(Nets) who is way over the cap. League bend over backward for them.

The Nets just followed the league rules and were granted a fair DPE. It's not like they'll be able to use that and get a marquee player or anything. If we were over the salary cap we'd likely have gotten it as well.

As to Millsap, I think you've got to decide if you're going forward with Al OR Millsap as I don't see them both on this roster going forward and Millsap probably won't cost as much and he's got a much better bill of health. Horford can probably get you quite a bit based on reputation alone, even injured.

• Premium Member

The Nets just followed the league rules and were granted a fair DPE. It's not like they'll be able to use that and get a marquee player or anything. If we were over the salary cap we'd likely have gotten it as well.

As to Millsap, I think you've got to decide if you're going forward with Al OR Millsap as I don't see them both on this roster going forward and Millsap probably won't cost as much and he's got a much better bill of health. Horford can probably get you quite a bit based on reputation alone, even injured.

I loved the way Milsap and Horf played together and I'm pretty sure Ferry/Bud liked the duo in the frontcourt as well. They held their own against bigger frontcourts and even dominated some of those matchups. But if we do get a 'true' center here, one them may have to go especially if Milsap continues to increase his value to the point the Hawks can no longer afford him. But I just can't see Ferry trading Horf unless he gets the word from team doctors that Horf's pectoral injuries stem from some congenital defect that puts him at constant risk of re-injury.

I loved the way Milsap and Horf played together and I'm pretty sure Ferry/Bud liked the duo in the frontcourt as well. They held their own against bigger frontcourts and even dominated some of those matchups. But if we do get a 'true' center here, one them may have to go especially if Milsap continues to increase his value to the point the Hawks can no longer afford him. But I just can't see Ferry trading Horf unless he gets the word from team doctors that Horf's pectoral injuries stem from some congenital defect that puts him at constant risk of re-injury.

Offensively they do well until they run into a team with real size. In terms of rebounding we struggle greatly from keeping teams off of the offensive glass. I just can't see us going forward without being tall and capable at either PF or C.

• Premium Member

I'm gonna shake things up a little...and say that right now is the time to deal Horford.

I know...*gasp* Posted Image

My POV on the best path forward hasn't really changed since this summer. The Brooklyn pick swap is a nice distraction, but we still need to manage our own team. With or without Horf, we're at best a 3-4 seed in the East...and that's in a ridiculously weak Eastern Conference. What do we expect to do to this team in 2 years?

This season is lost and Al's an UFA in 2016. At some point, we're going to have to stop dancing around that and realize that it is totally up to Al what he decides to do with his career in a few years.

I'd trade him now while his stock is hot. Get something that we can build with for the future and start looking more seriously at this draft. With the moves Chicago just made and the way Brooklyn has been playing lately, I don't even know if I'd be relying on that pick swap.

Edited by WretchedDamnCrow