• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If one star would come to Atlanta then......

JTB

I'll readily admit I've been critical, but moreso of the direction he's taking than Ferry himself. I like Ferry. The guy knows basketball. But I also realize he's got bosses he works for who may very well affect the direction he's allowed to take just like they did with the guys before Ferry. We all know that with the ASG, the basketball doesn't come first. If I end up being wrong about the avenue Ferry's taking to try to build a championship team, then I'll admit it.

Have you forgotten Ferry said he wouldn't have taken the job here if he weren't allowed to have complete control? I am 100% behind Ferry and believe that whatever his vision is, that he's working it right now.
  • Like 2

Can you blame them? They're right when they say we look like a treadmill team that doesn't show any signs of a rebuilding effort.

No signs? So I guess drafting extremely raw and yet still extremely talented players at the 2 most important positions shows signs if wanting to be a treadmill team? I know you guys will gloss over this but the Pacers haven't picked in the top 10 since I believe the 80's and they're doing alright. I wonder if their fans botched about not having a high lottery pick or being a treadmill team as they picked in the teens year after year after year.

• Premium Member

Have you forgotten Ferry said he wouldn't have taken the job here if he weren't allowed to have complete control? I am 100% behind Ferry and believe that whatever his vision is, that he's working it right now.

Oh I remember what he said. But, the ASG still signs the checks and I don't trust them. Again, if I'm wrong I'll happily admit it.

Oh I remember what he said. But, the ASG still signs the checks and I don't trust them. Again, if I'm wrong I'll happily admit it.

When it comes to signing players or making trades when has the ASG ever gotten in the way? You can say they've been cheap when it comes to scouting and other areas and I have no issue with that, although supposedly we are much better since Ferry took over.

• Premium Member

No signs? So I guess drafting extremely raw and yet still extremely talented players at the 2 most important positions shows signs if wanting to be a treadmill team? I know you guys will gloss over this but the Pacers haven't picked in the top 10 since I believe the 80's and they're doing alright. I wonder if their fans botched about not having a high lottery pick or being a treadmill team as they picked in the teens year after year after year.

Not being nit picky but, Paul George was pick 10 in 2010. So technically, the Pacers have selected in the top 10 and he happens to be their best player.

Not being nit picky but, Paul George was pick 10 in 2010. So technically, the Pacers have selected in the top 10 and he happens to be their best player.

Forgive me I was going off if memory and thought he was picked a little later, but the point still stands.

• Premium Member

When it comes to signing players or making trades when has the ASG ever gotten in the way? You can say they've been cheap when it comes to scouting and other areas and I have no issue with that, although supposedly we are much better since Ferry took over.

The hiring of Larry Drew over Casey and Mark Jackson and the notorious Tim Tucker question and answer session with Gearon Jr. from 2011 come to mind.http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2011/12/17/atlanta-hawks-michael-gearon-jr-q-and-a/During the Sund years, they were definitely hands on. Hopefully that's changed with Ferry. We'll see. Edited by Jody23
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Forgive me I was going off if memory and thought he was picked a little later, but the point still stands.

I agree with your point. The Pacers have done well. But they're not where they are currently without Paul George (top ten lottery pick).

• Premium Member

What position was Hibbert and Granger picked at? No doubt about it they were just treading water like the other teams until Paul George came along. Teams like the Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, and Heat may be down a year or two but they go out and correct things quickly. Boston, Chicago, and the Lakers will not be down long you can bet on that. Phily and Atlanta kinda mirror each other, with Atlanta being a little better. We have not been ink on the paper in 15 years.

Now this is my opinion, but Ferry doesn't have any assets to make a big move. Horford (inj) is our best player but on the market there are now questions about his durability, Millsap was a very good signing as a player, and Teague...........well Teague is Teague and hasn't gotten it mentally. We do not have any great draft picks to move for a good player. Schröder will not get you a top 10 pick, Bebe and Jenkins would not yield a first round pick. Who do we have to make a move with and what would that move be?

• Like 1

The hiring of Larry Drew over Casey and Mark Jackson and the notorious Tim Tucker question and answer session with Gearon Jr. from 2011 come to mind.http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2011/12/17/atlanta-hawks-michael-gearon-jr-q-and-a/During the Sund years, they were definitely hands on. Hopefully that's changed with Ferry. We'll see.

As far as I'm concerned those are different times as they said things will change under Ferry. Even still those wouldn't have been big money hires anyway. Now if we'd turned down Phil Jackson or someone like him because of wanting to be cheap then I certainly agree with you but I don't think any quality coach wanted to come here prior to Ferry being hired.

BTW is there a site that lists coaching salaries for each team? Sham might have it but I don't recall if I've looked.

What position was Hibbert and Granger picked at? No doubt about it they were just treading water like the other teams until Paul George came along. Teams like the Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, and Heat may be down a year or two but they go out and correct things quickly. Boston, Chicago, and the Lakers will not be down long you can bet on that. Phily and Atlanta kinda mirror each other, with Atlanta being a little better. We have not been ink on the paper in 15 years.

Now this is my opinion, but Ferry doesn't have any assets to make a big move. Horford (inj) is our best player but on the market there are now questions about his durability, Millsap was a very good signing as a player, and Teague...........well Teague is Teague and hasn't gotten it mentally. We do not have any great draft picks to move for a good player. Schröder will not get you a top 10 pick, Bebe and Jenkins would not yield a first round pick. Who do we have to make a move with and what would that move be?

Granger was taken 17th

Hibbert was taken 17th

Stephenson was taken 40th

Hill was taken 26th (by Spurs)

West was taken 18th (by Hornets)

They definitely were treading water sitting in the middle of the 1st round of the draft while they smartly drafted raw but talented players and groomed them. Sound familiar? Time will tell if Schröder and Bebe are those types of players who can become studs but the talent is certainly there. We're gonna need 2 more good drafts and some time to improve before we really see anything out of Ferry's picks though.

• Premium Member

As far as I'm concerned those are different times as they said things will change under Ferry. Even still those wouldn't have been big money hires anyway. Now if we'd turned down Phil Jackson or someone like him because of wanting to be cheap then I certainly agree with you but I don't think any quality coach wanted to come here prior to Ferry being hired. BTW is there a site that lists coaching salaries for each team? Sham might have it but I don't recall if I've looked.

http://sportsgmtalk.wordpress.com/head-coach-and-manager-contracts/nba-head-coach-contracts-salaries/Not sure how reliable this site is. Some of the information is withheld, but it was all I could find.

I agree with your point. The Pacers have done well. But they're not where they are currently without Paul George (top ten lottery pick).

Number 10 lottery pick. Let's not try and make it sound better than it was. But they most certainly were giving teams fits well before Hibbert, Stephenson and George became who they are now. Their maturation and development has led them to be the team that they are though and that's certainly a much better team with George as their stud.

http://sportsgmtalk.wordpress.com/head-coach-and-manager-contracts/nba-head-coach-contracts-salaries/Not sure how reliable this site is. Some of the information is withheld, but it was all I could find.

Thanks Jody. I wonder why they don't have Buds salary on there. It's interesting that the Pacers and Warriors are only paying their coaches 2 million each, which was what LD was making with us as I recall.

• Premium Member

Number 10 lottery pick. Let's not try and make it sound better than it was. But they most certainly were giving teams fits well before Hibbert, Stephenson and George became who they are now. Their maturation and development has led them to be the team that they are though and that's certainly a much better team with George as their stud.

I know, I know...it was pick 10. But I'm sure they're glad they took a step back and missed the playoffs in 2010. Otherwise, they don't land the biggest piece to their puzzle.

I know, I know...it was pick 10. But I'm sure they're glad they took a step back and missed the playoffs in 2010. Otherwise, they don't land the biggest piece to their puzzle.

They didn't intentionally miss the playoffs though, they just weren't quite good enough to make them. It's hard to do that now with the east being so pitiful. I mean you've got to be just awful to miss the playoffs now in the east. It's also entirely possible they get the 14th or so pick and George would have still been there. He wasnt exactly thought of as the next big thing. We just need to do like them and draft smartly and hope some good players drop and we snatch them up.