• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bebe better turn out to be a damned good player!

Admin

Sigh I really, really wanted us to draft Dieng with 1 of our 2 picks last year as I felt he could be an outstanding player down the road and looks like he's already starting to become that guy.

Same here! But man they'd make a nice pair. Olynyk can stretch the floor from the 4/5 with his tremendous outside shooting ability and Dieng can be the more traditional 5.
They made a great point on the mock draft show tonight about how Dieng was the main reason why Louisville was able to beat Syracuse, because Dieng could play "point center" by getting into the middle of the zone defense and then distributing the ball with his very underrated passing ability. He's also got some raw, but very promising post moves and we all know he's a plus defender. As long as he checks out medically then I'm hoping that he is our pick at 17 and I can't believe I'm going to say this but I think I'm okay with Olynyk at 18, as long as they come as a pair. No Dieng (or comparable C), then no Olynyk as far as I'm concerned.

Just looked it up. Apparent he had ankle and knee injury concerns, as well as being 23 years which hurt his draft stock (nothing major though). Nice game from him, but I still think Bebe will be the better player. I hope we bring him over next season because I don't think him staying in Spain will help his development (then again, neither will the bench).

• Premium Member

Bebe is around the same age as Dieng IIRC. I watch all the TWolves games and Dieng is really good as a raw rookie. He only started playing basketball late in his teens and even so you can see that he has a really good fundamentals on both ends.

Just looked it up. Apparent he had ankle and knee injury concerns, as well as being 23 years which hurt his draft stock (nothing major though). Nice game from him, but I still think Bebe will be the better player. I hope we bring him over next season because I don't think him staying in Spain will help his development (then again, neither will the bench).

Not sure where those concerns come from as I don't believe he ever missed any games and anchored the #1 defense in the country.

Bebe is around the same age as Dieng IIRC. I watch all the TWolves games and Dieng is really good as a raw rookie. He only started playing basketball late in his teens and even so you can see that he has a really good fundamentals on both ends.

Pretty sure Bebe is 3 years younger. Dieng is gonna be 24 this year but he's got at least a decade of good basketball ahead of him.

Not sure where those concerns come from as I don't believe he ever missed any games and anchored the #1 defense in the country.

Concerns maybe isn't the right word, but I guess he was injured during the draft process at some point. Nothing to worry about, just a reasons as to why his stock wasn't so high.

It's great to be optimistic, but the odds are very much against Bebe coming over to the Hawks and being a major contributor.

Dieng was definitely the more NBA ready prospect but I am not mad with the Bebe pick. Bebe has more upside because he is longer and younger but hes definitely going to take some major time to develop. It might take a season or two b4 he will be ready to play major mins.

For a team that lacks talent and will have picks in the mid-teens for a while we have to go for the upside pick.

Edited by yungsta
  • Like 1

Bebe isn't injured and hes put on some muscle

Yea, I thought he was well again and playing in Spain where the rain falls mainly on the plain.

i liked what I saw in summer league. Would be interesting to see him here next year.

Edited by ATLSmith
  • Like 4

• Moderators

Yeah I wanted Dieng in last year's draft too... I was okay with pickin' Bebe but I woulda preferred he stay in the US.

Yeah. I know nothing about player development but I just don't see any reason to leave guys in Europe (other than money). It's not like we were chock full of bigs. Maybe someone can point out overseas players that were drafted and left in Europe that later became good players in the nba. I'm sure there are some but i'm not sure how many. Granted Bebe is really young.

Yeah. I know nothing about player development but I just don't see any reason to leave guys in Europe (other than money). It's not like we were chock full of bigs. Maybe someone can point out overseas players that were drafted and left in Europe that later became good players in the nba. I'm sure there are some but i'm not sure how many. Granted Bebe is really young.

For guys as raw as Bebe there's no sense in starting his NBA clock when we can have other teams pay him to develop and then get the most years with him as an NBA contributor on his rookie deal as possible.

• Like 1

• Moderators

@macdaddy Sabonis - enough said Splitter (drafted in 2007 joined Spurs in 2010) Pekovic & Asik .(drafted 2008 came to US in 2010)

Thanks JayBird

Splitter was the one i was thinking of but couldn't come up with his name. Sabonis is one of my all time favs but in reality that was a different era. Still those are guys who made names for themselves playing pro ball (not sure about asik) vs Bebe and others who aren't big time players overseas but are showing a lot of potential that has the nba interested. What about Scola?

Anyway, i know the reasons given for Bebe staying: get bigger, get experience etc. but seems like all those things could have happened better being with the Hawks. Maybe next year.