• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

best way to get cheap tickets

catsfan

hey everyone,

obviously new member. i am one of literally hundreds diehard bobcats/hornets fans. i am in town next week for a conference. i wanted to check out the hawks/bulls game Wed night. i checked stubhub and damn if i am paying $30 for an upper bowl seat.

i am hoping to get some scalping advice. my plan is to walk from my hotel (downtown hilton) and hit up the scalpers shortly after the start of the game. i want to sit in the lower bowl but don't want to pay much more than $50 to do it. i figure i will tell them to get me as close to the floor as they can for $50. if i don't like the tickets, i will just walk back to the hotel.

anyone have experience with this approach or have a better way for me to get a decent ticket.

any help would be appreciated.

Well, that is the plan. I'd give you more advice but pretty much that is what you should do. Scalpers are always interesting people, and they are trying to read you for how much you will spend. Sounds like you should do well.

And are you serious about stubhub? Man f*** these owners and their QCue service. If the owners don't like having empty seats then maximize attendance and not revenues. From our deadspin take over last week, Drew Magary said he could not tweet about our pathetic attendance. f***ing A$G.

hey everyone,

obviously new member. i am one of literally hundreds diehard bobcats/hornets fans. i am in town next week for a conference. i wanted to check out the hawks/bulls game Wed night. i checked stubhub and damn if i am paying $30 for an upper bowl seat.

i am hoping to get some scalping advice. my plan is to walk from my hotel (downtown hilton) and hit up the scalpers shortly after the start of the game. i want to sit in the lower bowl but don't want to pay much more than $50 to do it. i figure i will tell them to get me as close to the floor as they can for $50. if i don't like the tickets, i will just walk back to the hotel.

anyone have experience with this approach or have a better way for me to get a decent ticket.

any help would be appreciated.

With the Hawks on another losing streak, getting an under $50 lower level ticket should be pretty easy. You might even be able to play $50 for a Club Level ticket, which is the lower level on the opposite side of the court. That section has been real empty lately.

Seeing that the game is on a Wednesday night, you shouldn't have any problem getting a lower level tix for under $50.

Just watch some of those scalpers though, and deal with them one on one. Do not deal with them in a group, because they may try to do a switcheroo of tickets. Just make sure you're paying for the right ticket and the right game. Most of the time though, you can get some good discounted deals from the scalpers right after halftime.

With the Hawks on another losing streak, getting an under $50 lower level ticket should be pretty easy. You might even be able to play $50 for a Club Level ticket, which is the lower level on the opposite side of the court. That section has been real empty lately.

Seeing that the game is on a Wednesday night, you shouldn't have any problem getting a lower level tix for under $50.

Just watch some of those scalpers though, and deal with them one on one. Do not deal with them in a group, because they may try to do a switcheroo of tickets. Just make sure you're paying for the right ticket and the right game. Most of the time though, you can get some good discounted deals from the scalpers right after halftime.

Also, when dealing with scalpers, don't tell them right off the bat what you're willing to pay. Only tell them where you want to sit ( which is 100 level, if you want to be in the lower bowl ), and let them set the price.

When that price is too high, just walk away. At that point, they will negotiate, or someone else will come up to you. Then you play them against each other, and pull the one you want to deal with away from that group so that you can get the ticket your want. At that point, you may can even low ball them, and they may give you the ticket you want.

Once again, make sure that they don't switch tickets on you, because a few of them may be shady like that. Most are on the up and up though, and they know the market for tickets is bad right now in Atlanta.

• Premium Member

I have paid $175 before. I didn't know you could go to a game for under $50 but I haven't set in the upper level. I have a corporate friend that I use their seats on occasion.

Edited by Vol4ever

thanks for the advice. much appreciated.

two more things:

are there any good sports bars by the arena in case the tickets don't work out and i could catch the cats on league pass?

also, would you please sign off on a trade of korver and horford for the port pick, det pick, our second and a future first swap plus matching salary. pretty please?

Stubhub used to be really good for tickets. I've gone to games and paid $5 a ticket. I've sat like 10 rows from courtside for like $90. I guess prices have gone up since its gotten popular.

I like using seatgeek, it compiles the prices from all the other major ticket websites into one convenient list.

FWIW - dealing with scalpers is like dealing with car salesmen. You can't fool them. They've seen every trick in the book 100 times. So about all you can do is be prepared to walk away and just tell them its too much.

Stubhub was great last year. This year prices have been way too high, so I haven't been to many games.

I remember paying $60 dollars for 2 seats in section 118 about 3 years ago off of stub hub. It was a Friday night game against OKC. I haven't been to a game in the past 3 years. Tickets too high this year, not worth driving 3 1/2 hours for level 300 seats.

I remember paying $60 dollars for 2 seats in section 118 about 3 years ago off of stub hub. It was a Friday night game against OKC. I haven't been to a game in the past 3 years. Tickets too high this year, not worth driving 3 1/2 hours for level 300 seats.

yo was that the game Josh had that big dunk on..I think it was Ibaka ? That's the one I went to.

yo was that the game Josh had that big dunk on..I think it was Ibaka ? That's the one I went to.

Naw the one I went to the Hawks lost, this one was around March of 2011 I believe. Kendrick Perkins & Kevin Durant were just coming back from injuries. I think Josh might have sat out in this one.

I've used "http://seatgeek.com/76ers-at-hawks-tickets/3-31-2014-atlanta-georgia-philips-arena/nba/1740312/" before.

If you don't mind sitting beside a 200 pounder...I'll buy you a seat...and you buy me a beer. Lower level can be a bit pricey...but 2nd level middle is about the price of a beer or two.

..just kidding but pm me if you want to go to the game and I'll treat...just not at floor level.

Nobody ever goes to games with me...sure they say I am a know-it-all ass...but what do they know!!! C0cksuckin ignorant shipbowls...I could tell them a thing or two.

• Like 2

had a great time. i ended up getting section 116 row x for $50. i got to my seat about halfway through the 2nd quarter. had almost as fun going back and forth with the scalpers as i did at the game. funny thing is not one usher even checked my ticket. i could have gotten a nosebleed seat and sat where i did, but i generally don't like doing that. i feel like it is stealing.

made a few "game friends", saw seku and sam mitchell and watched half the women around me lose their mind when a specific club song came on (not even sure what it was). i really enjoyed your PA announcer, i can not stand the bobcats guy. He sounds like he is doing a radio club commercial, yelling at the top of his lungs the whole time.

all in all, great time. thanks for the advice.