• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

All Star Swin Cash now a Dream girl!

This carries a WOW factor! Swin Cash is no spring chicken.

She did play every game last season and put up her usual

all star numbers.

Seems that our Dream team may be planning to go for it all

this upcoming season and the opener is just around the corner.

GO DREAM !!

wild.gif

Edited by Gray Mule
  • Like 3

• Moderators

How did we get her? That seems like a major move.

Swin was at a contract impasse with Chicago. She was "reserved" by the Sky under the WNBA CBA's rules, essentially meaning the Sky had exclusive rights to re-sign her. Technically she was what they called "cored" for a certain period during the offseason, which allowed her the chance to accept a one-year max-salary deal with their team.

While Cash is a dimepiece (if you'll excuse my saying so), she's a 34 year-old dimepiece who turns 35 by years' end. She still keeps herself in fantastic condition, though. She left WNBA champion Seattle a couple years ago to join the Sky, the only team who had never made it to the playoffs, when she really didn't have to. Swin, as the rumor mill went, insisted on a new multi-year deal with Chicago, and was likely disappointed Chicago only wanted to offer her a single season under contract. They don't want the dimepiece to turn into a bad nickel under their watch, especially with a contract they probably couldn't trade away. Cash also struggled when the Sky finally made it to the playoffs last year in a starting role.

Being "reserved", she was not in a position to seek other offers or demand a trade. But, the Sky would have had the bad PR of making Swin, who has a very popular following, sit during this season until she acquiesced to their contract demands.

Grumblings from fellow non-Sky players who were friends of Cash popped up on social media, and her poker-playing answer about her playing status on a national TV news show over the weekend (she was brought on to talk about $terling) didn't create a good look for the Sky, either. Their coach/GM Pokey Chatman swung this deal with new Dream GM Angela Taylor, leaving it likely that Chatman couldn't get (m)any decent offers for Cash but didn't want to be distracted any further answering questions about her status.

~lw3

Atlanta traded guard Courtney Clements for Swim Cash. Also they

will swap their 2nd round pick next season and receive back the

third round pick.

We won this one boys. A lot of unanswered questions as to why they didn't at least exile her to the western conference instead of making an eastern rival better. Some things we may never know.

I saw her last night at the Dream v. Australia scrimmage. She said she was happy to be in Atlanta. Her introduction brought a big cheer from the fans (open to season ticket holders only). I think everyone was cheering except the rookies hoping to land a spot on the roster. Feel sorry for those kids, but this is pro ball - its eat or be eaten.

Our frontcourt bench was a weakness. Backing up Angel and Sancho will be great for all 3 of those players. I think she also will help out younger players learn to take care of themselves fitness wise and be a steadying force. Chicago's loss is our gain.

Terms have not been mentioned anywhere that is reliable that I am aware of. Dream press release just says they got her - no mention of a multi year deal or not. Rumor was she wanted 3 years. Sky only wanted to give her one. A big issue for the Sky was that Sylvia Fowles may be a free agent next year, so they could not put the "Core" designation on Swin for more than one year. A few years ago, we may have lost Harding because we put the core designation on DeSouza instead.

AS for how much - in all likelihood she is a WNBA max player - about $100k. Most players who start who are not on their rookie deal are max players. Biggest implication is that this could limit the roster to 11 instead of 12, since on max vet salary is more than two rookie salaries.

One thing well worth keeping in mind - some of the older W players have held up pretty well. Tina Thompson had a hell of a good season last year, at 38 or something. Taj McWilliams Franklin played till she was 43. So her age is not necessarily a killer deal. She may not be good for 30 minutes a night, but we really only need 20 or so.

Edited by Randy
  • Like 1

• Moderators

What kind of deal - how much and for how long is her deal?

I imagine they might be in negotiations still, but I would assume 2 years is likely. She wants 3 but I'm not sure she'll get it.

Unlike the Sky, who had to offer her a max-deal ($105-110k or so?) for the first year once they cored her, Atlanta is under no such obligation. At least I don't think they are for the first year, as I'm not certain a sign-and-trade was required to spring her free. She'll likely move into a full-time reserve role behind Sancho, so something less-than-max will be likely. Because of her veteran age, a max deal would have made her the highest-paid player in the league this season, something that's tenable as a Sky starter but not so much as a Dream reserve.

I'm sure the AJC will find out more on hahahahahahahahaha who am I kidding?

~lw3