• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Hawks are like Spurs topics

Dirtybird26

What we truly lack in comparison to the Spurs is chemistry and experience in this system. We will get there if we keep our key contributors together.

totally agree. And DF referenced this earlier when he talked about having guys who play together over time. The big three for the Spurs have played together for a decade. Unbelievable

We were 3rd in the east with our current roster until Al's injury, and after some off season Danny Ferry magic, and with a potentially declining Pacers team we could easily become the new name in the east.

We were 3rd in the East with half of the East hurt, and with us playing a bottom 6 schedule in the NBA at that time.

I mean, if we're going to use the "injury excuse", then you have to also acknowledge that the rest of the East, especially at the top tier, were hurting too with key players out.

True. We were right there in terms of assists this season, but yet still quite far away. They have a flip and release for every single action. The play where they flash the roll man but somehow get a two way option pass from the roll man or weak wing to a man in the corner without a defender within 15 feet for a practice three just isn't fair.

But when all the ball and man movement magic doesn't work, it's a pretty good backup plan to just dump it to Timmy. Why, after 15+ years, are we the first franchise to openly aspire to model ourselves after these people?

Because not every team has guards who can get anywhere they want on the floor, plus a center . . err PF . . who can pretty much get any shot he wants inside of 16 feet, and make those shots 1/2 of the time . . and even step out and make 20 foot jumpers.

I think the east ranks like this next year come playoff time...

1.Heat (duh)

2.Raptors-showed a lot of potential throughout the year an with Derozan an Lowry with real experience they'll be ready to roll come next year

3.Bulls/Hawks/Wizards-This all depend on if the Bulls snag a superstar like Love or Melo.If they do they will be above us an Washington but if not it will be a right race for the 3-5 seeds!Wiz an Hawks are very young an promising an both are only missing a few pieces to become a true contender.

4.Bulls/Wiz/Hawks-read #3

5.Bulls/Wiz/Hawks-read #3

6.Nets-I think KG calls it a quits so they decline a little bit.An who knows if KG leaves rumors spread that pierce might wanna join back up with Doc in LAC...But Johnson/Williams/Lopez should be able to get them a low round playoff seed

7.Bobcats-Not much will change in Charolette.I expect Kemba an Jefferson to dominate but aside from that nothing special..They could be a 6 seed but anything above is a surprise!

8.Cavs/Celtics-Looks with all these young players like Waiter,Irving,Bennett,Jack,#1 ovr pick,etc. it's time to put the pieces together!For Boston it all depends if they can lure in Love if they can watch out!They could possibly be a Darkhorse contender with a Rondo/Love combo.

An that's my way to early predictions...

Brooklyn had the best record in the East after January 1st . . with Garnett hurt and with Deron playing schizophrenic. How you rank them below us, with them getting Lopez back, is interesting.

Bulls get Rose back. And if . . BIG IF . . he stays healthy, you almost have to put them ahead of us.

LOL . . and where are the Pacers? Yeah, they may be a mentally weak team, but they may have the 2nd best player in the East in Paul George. They'll be in the mix next year, no doubt.

Raptors were a nice young team last year. Like us, they need another dynamic player to pair with Lowry and DeRozan . . preferably a big time rebounding big man.

Truth is, the Hawks either need Horford, Millsap, or Teague to turn into a borderline superstar . . or we need to add another significant player to this roster that could be our 3rd best player, for the Hawks to crack into the top 4 next season.

Parker / Mills > Teague / Mack

Manu / Green / Belinelli > Korver / Lou

Leonard / Green > DMC / Korver

Duncan / Diaw > Sap / Scott

Splitter / Duncan > Horford / Antić

There is a reason the Spurs have won an average of 58 games the last 4 years and the Hawks last won 58 games in....well, never.

That's incredible . . but ultimately true.

We only shot that many 3's because we were playing without Horford. I'd guess we shot 10 less per game with him in the lineup. I think the quickest way for us to become a respectable comparison to the Spurs is to draft a quality wing at 15 and sign another. Then Bebe needs to provide some length and activity around the basket we're lacking, or we need to get it from somewhere else. And then it's a matter of the players grasping the system well enough to execute consistently. Definitely need some luck (which we're clearly due for), but I think we could be at the top of the East in 2 years.

Nah . . . about 2 or 3 less per game.

We were averaging almost 24 three attempts per game before he went down. After he went down, we were a little above 26 attempts per game.

Brooklyn had the best record in the East after January 1st . . with Garnett hurt and with Deron playing schizophrenic. How you rank them below us, with them getting Lopez back, is interesting.

Bulls get Rose back. And if . . BIG IF . . he stays healthy, you almost have to put them ahead of us.

LOL . . and where are the Pacers? Yeah, they may be a mentally weak team, but they may have the 2nd best player in the East in Paul George. They'll be in the mix next year, no doubt.

Raptors were a nice young team last year. Like us, they need another dynamic player to pair with Lowry and DeRozan . . preferably a big time rebounding big man.

Truth is, the Hawks either need Horford, Millsap, or Teague to turn into a borderline superstar . . or we need to add another significant player to this roster that could be our 3rd best player, for the Hawks to crack into the top 4 next season.

As I said before I don't think Indy keeps Hibbert or Stephenson...So unless they get a nice draft or FA period they drop out of my playoff teams only because George can't do it by himself.... Ask Melo how well he did last year when doing it by himself?

As I said before I don't think Indy keeps Hibbert or Stephenson...So unless they get a nice draft or FA period they drop out of my playoff teams only because George can't do it by himself.... Ask Melo how well he did last year when doing it by himself?

If Indy is trading Hibbert (which I doubt), they will be getting pieces back to help them.

If Indy is not bringing Lance back they will probably try to do a sign and trade so they get something for him.

• Moderators

They could lose Lance for nothing. I think that is very possible. A S&T doesn't make much sense for them because if they aren't signing him it is likely that it is because of not wanting to spend that much money. They would have to take back almost the same amount that the other team signs him for in a S&T situation unless the team receiving him is under the cap. But if they are under the cap, why would they ever give up assets to sign someone they could get for free?

Nah . . . about 2 or 3 less per game.

We were averaging almost 24 three attempts per game before he went down. After he went down, we were a little above 26 attempts per game.

Talking about the playoff numbers. So I was close.

They could lose Lance for nothing. I think that is very possible. A S&T doesn't make much sense for them because if they aren't signing him it is likely that it is because of not wanting to spend that much money. They would have to take back almost the same amount that the other team signs him for in a S&T situation unless the team receiving him is under the cap. But if they are under the cap, why would they ever give up assets to sign someone they could get for free?

Sometimes you gotta give up a young prospect and 2 future 1sts so that the other team won't match...

• Like 1

• Moderators

Sometimes you gotta give up a young prospect and 2 future 1sts so that the other team won't match...

Only if you can convince the other team that you are willing to match. I'm skeptical that will be the case with Lance when the Pacers have publicly said they will draw a clear line in the sand on him for PR purposes.

Its not about matching. He can walk being a UFA and there is a lot of crap going on in that Pacers locker room. Now add in next seasons salary with Hibbert 14.9, George 13.7, West 12.0, and Hill 8.0; other than George, I am not sure what the Pacers starting lineup will look like next season.

It seems to me that they started playing better AFTER Lopez went down. Lopez seems a bit like a black hole. A total mixed bag.. He is a really good scorer and a solid shot blocker, but he is a Rik Smits level rebounder and not much of a passer.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

Who would want Hibbert? He's so overpaid. This offseason he needs to work on CATCHING THE BALL.

• Like 1

Who would want Hibbert? He's so overpaid. This offseason he needs to work on CATCHING THE BALL.

I agree with this. He's an all-star... And was awful. He's gotta start from square one. He's broken mentality.

• Moderators

Sorry I should have used the sarcasm tags as you guys missed it and the irony of what I was giving up.

I got exactly where you were going. I think you raised a totally legit point, even if you meant it as a joke. If you can bluff someone into folding their hand and giving you picks, you can end up with compensation where you otherwise wouldn't. Not as applicable to an UFA but that is on me for forgetting Lance's status.