the way the could fix it is you have

1 max contract per team

Then 1 contracts of 10-12 mil

Then 3 contracts of 5-7 mil

Then the rest under 5 mil

Wade or Melo would only make 10 - 12 a year and bosh Wade/Melo making 7

They would never play for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could be on to something here. I wouldn't be against a tier type system like this. I'm sure it would be a lot more complicated than what you have here though.

I've never seen what all the fuss was about with this dude. He cannot set the tone defensively, which is what max players have to do in addition to being a clear team leader in order to vault their squad into a true contender. The only max quality he has is the ability to drop fiddy and get to the line 10+ times. Being willing to leave Phil and his undisputed championship know-how (let alone 30 million more greenbacks) tells you all you need to know about the man. No one cares about the Nuggets outside of Denver, haven't they still win more games than NY since the forced Melo trade? Why would his new team become a winner? Why isn't the exact opposite obvious by now?

Edited by benhillboy

I've never seen what all the fuss was about with this dude. He cannot set the tone defensively, which is what max players have to do in addition to being a clear team leader in order to vault their squad into a true contender. The only max quality he has is the ability to drop fiddy and get to the line 10+ times. Being willing to leave Phil and his undisputed championship know-how (let alone 30 million more greenbacks) tells you all you need to know about the man.

Phil hasn't done anything from the office. So who knows if he is any good. Now if he was coaching that's a different story. Him leaving 30 shows he wants to win.

I don't want to him to go to the Heat but if he did I'm sure he'd buy into the D system and turn up his.

The myriad of awards that the NBA hands out only to players they've deemed as "stars"?

Which award? That means you'd have to award a guy a max contract for balling out on the final year of his last contract

Which award? That means you'd have to award a guy a max contract for balling out on the final year of his last contract

1st of all, my first post which you have so much issue with was tongue in cheek.

2nd of all, you are aware of the "Rose provision", correct? It's a provision within the CBA that allows guys on their rookie contracts to be eligible for the same max contract as a guy on his 3rd contract. So how do they determine that Rose, Durant, Irving, George are worthy of the same 30% max as Lebron, Carmelo, Dwight etc.? By a very simple award criteria:

A) Win MVP (I think that means you're a star)

B) Be voted in as a starter for two All Star games (yea, if millions of fans know who you are then I think that means you're a star)

C) Be voted onto two All NBA teams (yea, I think being amongst the top 15 players in the league means you're good)

How hard would it forcing a salary minimum on stars in order to prevent another Heat team based on similar logic? Don't let the limits of your own imagination get in the way of precedent that has already been set. The NBA aren't dumb enough to let a contract year fluke qualify guys.

• Moderators

1st of all, my first post which you have so much issue with was tongue in cheek.

2nd of all, you are aware of the "Rose provision", correct? It's a provision within the CBA that allows guys on their rookie contracts to be eligible for the same max contract as a guy on his 3rd contract. So how do they determine that Rose, Durant, Irving, George are worthy of the same 30% max as Lebron, Carmelo, Dwight etc.? By a very simple award criteria:

A) Win MVP (I think that means you're a star)

B) Be voted in as a starter for two All Star games (yea, if millions of fans know who you are then I think that means you're a star)

C) Be voted onto two All NBA teams (yea, I think being amongst the top 15 players in the league means you're good)

How hard would it forcing a salary minimum on stars in order to prevent another Heat team based on similar logic? Don't let the limits of your own imagination get in the way of precedent that has already been set. The NBA aren't dumb enough to let a contract year fluke qualify guys.

So Steve Nash has to be paid the max or he can't play because he has won the MVP? You would need a lot more complicated set of rules to try to pull this off. Antoine Walker made multiple All-Star teams but was he ever worth the max let alone over the last half dozen seasons of his career? Etc.

The bigger obstacle is that you could do this or the tier proposal earlier in the thread without the players' consent and you aren't going to get that after they saw what the Clippers are selling for. They are going to be coming for $$s in the next deal not looking to give up more to the owners.

So Steve Nash has to be paid the max or he can't play because he has won the MVP? You would need a lot more complicated set of rules to try to pull this off. Antoine Walker made multiple All-Star teams but was he ever worth the max let alone over the last half dozen seasons of his career? Etc.

The bigger obstacle is that you could do this or the tier proposal earlier in the thread without the players' consent and you aren't going to get that after they saw what the Clippers are selling for. They are going to be coming for $$s in the next deal not looking to give up more to the owners.

Why is it your belief that I (or the NBA) wouldn't think to make the criteria more selective? I gave an example of an already existing provision where it makes it possible to qualify for more money. For rookies on a 4 year deal it's a bit hard to amass 14 All Star selections and what not by the end of your 1st contract so the criteria of 2 starting selections (Antoine was voted a starter only once so he wouldn't even qualify), a MVP (Nash won a MVP 10 years ago) and 2 All NBA selections within 4 years is restrictive yet attainable.

Again, how difficult would it be to utilize more logic already existing in the CBA such as ohhhhhhh the rules governing qualification for the repeater tax too? A player would have to qualify for the MVP, All Star vote starter, All NBA selection 2, maybe 3, maybe even 4 of the previous 4-6 years to be eligible of a Maximum Minimum deal (I like that, the Max Min clause).

The issue here is not at all about finding a set of rules or criteria to create a mandatory Max contract, the issue would be whether the players would go for it as it is a form of limiting player movement.

• Moderators

Why is it your belief that I (or the NBA) wouldn't think to make the criteria more selective? I gave an example of an already existing provision where it makes it possible to qualify for more money. For rookies on a 4 year deal it's a bit hard to amass 14 All Star selections and what not by the end of your 1st contract so the criteria of 2 starting selections (Antoine was voted a starter only once so he wouldn't even qualify), a MVP (Nash won a MVP 10 years ago) and 2 All NBA selections within 4 years is restrictive yet attainable.

Again, how difficult would it be to utilize more logic already existing in the CBA such as ohhhhhhh the rules governing qualification for the repeater tax too? A player would have to qualify for the MVP, All Star vote starter, All NBA selection 2, maybe 3, maybe even 4 of the previous 4-6 years to be eligible of a Maximum Minimum deal (I like that, the Max Min clause).

The issue here is not at all about finding a set of rules or criteria to create a mandatory Max contract, the issue would be whether the players would go for it as it is a form of limiting player movement.

I don't think they would go for it, as I mentioned above. Beyond that I think the better mechanism is just to give teams a pool of money and let them spend it on players however they want within the rules. The only real restrictions are max dollars which are debatable in terms of their impact (they clearly make superstars more valuable but also make it easier to stack them on the same team). I don't like a system of salary slots for people and think the arbitrariness of those dollar amounts is less preferable to giving teams the ability to pay people at whatever level they think their performance warrants within that team's budget.

In terms of the salary minimums, this doesn't rock my world. Everyone hates the Heat for it but the Spurs have done the same thing. It doesn't hurt my head too much since I believe in the greed of players and that there are definite limits to how much players will be willing to forego to give their teams more $$s to spend. In fact, that would be the great benefit of uncapping the max salaries for players: you could really force a team's hand by offering Lebron $35M if you wanted so he has to pass up a much more lucrative offer in order to sign on for that under market $17M contract. That seems a much simpler system to me than one that forces a salary minimum on Yao Ming at the end of his rookie deal because a lot of Chinese fans vote him in as a starter in multiple AS games but doesn't force a minimum on Anthony Davis because he won't be a multiple starter by the end of his rookie deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Melo might be heading back to NY:

Hours before his final meeting with New York Knicks officials, free agent Carmelo Anthony reached out to obtain free agent Pau Gasol's phone number and discuss with him the possibility of playing together at Madison Square Garden, league sources told Yahoo Sports. The Knicks had exuded an increasing confidence they can hold off the free-agent courtships of Chicago and Houston and were further encouraged with Anthony's desire to talk to Gasol about New York, sources said. Yahoo! Sports - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.Gx9MPGCY.dpuf