• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Wojo: Deng Strong Candidate for Hawks

PSSSHHHRRR87

• Moderators

The last big player that went to NY because of the destination:

Carmelo Anthony.

(Don't even try to pretend that he didn't pick his destination by making a short list -- possibly of one team -- that he would be willing to extend with.  That process was like a more complicated FA.)

Edited by AHF
  • Like 2

Welcome to the Internet and Hawksquawk.  If we took away knee-jerk reactions and physically gleamed posts this place would be dull and boring and dead long ago. 

I recognize the appeal to be knee-jerk and prophetic on the internet but also recognize the appeal for me to be an ass to you over it :sun:

• Like 1

Had one good season, sure, but it's not like they were a threat to go to the Finals. 

But back to my original point, if NYK was such an awesome destination, the Knicks would have been the Yankees of basketball. Instead they are more like the Orioles of basketball. A good season here or there, but pretty much an afterthought. Seems to me like players always mention them because you have to so they feel better about themselves.

Your point isn't valid. The Knicks almost never have cap space, especially not max cap space, and unlike baseball there is a salary cap so they can't just go throwing money at players. 

I recognize the appeal to be knee-jerk and prophetic on the internet but also recognize the appeal for me to be an ass to you over it sun_bespectacled.gif

Oh trust me you and the other EOA's (myself included) make this place that much more highly charged than it would be without and I appreciate that. 

• Moderators

Your point isn't valid. The Knicks almost never have cap space, especially not max cap space, and unlike baseball there is a salary cap so they can't just go throwing money at players. 

Oh trust me you and the other EOA's (myself included) make this place that much more highly charged than it would be without and I appreciate that. 

The other part of that equation that doesn't work is that the Yankees have been very smart about maximizing their assets and utilizing the salary rules for their league.  Good management + big $$s = Yankees.  Terrible management + big dollars does not translate to the Yankees.

• Like 1

The other part of that equation that doesn't work is that the Yankees have been very smart about maximizing their assets and utilizing the salary rules for their league.  Good management + big $$s = Yankees.  Terrible management + big dollars does not translate to the Yankees.

Unless you're looking at how we've drafted / developed prospects since the mid-90's core... sigh

Doesn't matter that he had bad knees.  The point was that he was a very desirable player who chose NY as his destination, refuting the point that no marquee FA's wanted to play there. 

The point I made to you was that he wasn't desirable, Dol......

Every other team were scared away from him because of his knees to the point they refused to pay him.  Only New York paid him.  Is that an example of their market or their stupidity?  I'd say stupidity because Amar'e would play in Israel if they would guarantee him 100 million rather than the 50 million that other teams were smartly only willing to invest.

The point I made to you was that he wasn't desirable, Dol......

Every other team were scared away from him because of his knees to the point they refused to pay him.  Only New York paid him.  Is that an example of their market or their stupidity?  I'd say stupidity because Amar'e would play in Israel if they would guarantee him 100 million rather than the 50 million that other teams were smartly only willing to invest.

I understand the point that you failed to make, Mace.

Unless you can find proof that no other team were willing to offer him the max then that's simply conjecture on your part that other teams refused to pay him. Hell we had our own rumors here that we were willing to move Josh in a SnT and pay him ourselves. 

The Yankees haven't been "the Yankees" since then, have they?

Oh it's always business as usual... but the way we've done it since the mid-90's core grew up hasn't resulted in World Series wins, it's resulted in a depleted farm system, a lack of premium draft picks, and a multitude of grossly overpaid older players on their last legs. 

I understand the point that you failed to make, Mace.

Unless you can find proof that no other team were willing to offer him the max then that's simply conjecture on your part that other teams refused to pay him. Hell we had our own rumors here that we were willing to move Josh in a SnT and pay him ourselves. 

Amar'e Stoudemire was willing to take it, if only because his own team, the Phoenix Suns, wouldn't guarantee him a full scholarship after he suffered serious knee and eye injuries. Insurance or no insurance, the Knicks weren't asking too many questions.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/9045601/amare-stoudemire-contract-new-york-knicks-was-necessary-evil

Managing Partner Robert Sarver offered him a five-year, $96.6 million contract with $56 million guaranteed and the rest kicking in if Stoudemire logged significant minutes in the third and fourth years.

"The greater goal was to have a sense of security. I didn't want a football deal (with some or all of the money non-guaranteed). I want a NBA deal. That's what I ended up getting."

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2010/09/01/20100901phoenix-suns-amare-reflects.html

Dol.............please.

• Premium Member

People will complain whatever DF does.

They complained when Korver was signed (6M? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaa? OVERPAID).

They complained when Teague was matched (8M? HOLY F! OVERPAID)

They complained when Smith was shown the door (AWWWWWW... He's gone for nothing! Fire LD DF!)

They complained when Millsap was signed (9.5M per? I'd only have paid 7. OVERPAID BUM!)

Smh... you infidels.

then people say "I love Horford, but I'd trade him if the team would get better", but then they cry "the sky is falling" when friggin LOU WILLIAMS and a project big who no one even knows he'll ever play in the NBA get traded for cap space...

You serious?

LOL, I love this board. We're all armchair GMs here... And won't let the actual one do his job without complaining.

As a geologist, I know if some guy shows a tiny piece of rock to 50 geologists, he's probably get 49 different stories about that rock. Any move DF makes, we'll all have different opinions about it.

But at the end of the day, it is what it is...

I hated the JJ trade, and nowadays I understand I was wrong. I loved the LW trade, and this time I'm hoping I'm right.

Good post!

• Moderators

Oh it's always business as usual... but the way we've done it since the mid-90's core grew up hasn't resulted in World Series wins, it's resulted in a depleted farm system, a lack of premium draft picks, and a multitude of grossly overpaid older players on their last legs. 

I think they have failed to maximize their assets since then.  In free agency, they passed on Yu Darvish and Puig, went after some bad choices, IMO, like McCann, Teixeira, Suzuki, Beltran, Wells, ARod, AJ Burnett, Ellsbury, etc.  On the draft side, they haven't done much since that run in the 1990s but there is nothing preventing that.  

Their problem wasn't their model so much as their bad management.  Too many panic moves chasing big FA names instead of fundamental baseball moves and too many years ignoring their pitching staff (relatively speaking).

I think they have failed to maximize their assets since then.  In free agency, they passed on Yu Darvish and Puig, went after some bad choices, IMO, like McCann, Teixeira, Suzuki, Beltran, Wells, ARod, AJ Burnett, Ellsbury, etc.  On the draft side, they haven't done much since that run in the 1990s but there is nothing preventing that.  

Their problem wasn't their model so much as their bad management.  Too many panic moves chasing big FA names instead of fundamental baseball moves and too many years ignoring their pitching staff (relatively speaking).

Agreed 95%.  McCann has been a terrific signing and too early to say on Ellsbury but so far I'm leaning towards it was a bad choice. 

Seems everyone wants to talk about the Braves and Falcons as being the

pro Atlanta teams who have or have not been a success.

Wrong teams to want to be like as has been mentioned over and over.

We have a much better pro team we need to copy.  The Dream have a new,

championship caliber head coach and right now they are comfortably in first

place.  They have some exciting players who believe that basketball is a team

sport and the outcome of each game is more important than their individual

glory.

Gotta copy someone?  Yeah, I know.  They're just girls and not the NBA but

they have a successful organization.

GO HAWKS!

Edited by Gray Mule
  • Like 1

Braves have the same problems they had during the cox era and pretty much haven't done anything to improve/evolve the franchise.

The falcons have stuck with the same coach who has squandered potential Super Bowl contending teams threw or four times

See everything sucks

Except auburn war eagle

The falcons over achieved the past couple of years. The talent is top heavy but was very lacking after that. They are laying the ground work to fix that now. The braves are also always right there. They are in great shape
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Seems everyone wants to talk about the Braves and Falcons as being the

pro Atlanta teams who have or have not been a success.

Wrong teams to want to be like as has been mentioned over and over.

We have a much better pro team we need to copy.  The Dream have a new,

championship caliber head coach and right now they are comfortably in first

place.  They have some exciting players who believe that basketball is a team

sport and the outcome of each game is more important than their individual

glory.

Gotta copy someone?  Yeah, I know.  They're just girls and not the NBA but

they have a successful organization.

GO HAWKS!

I support your support of all things Atlanta.

Really? I read both articles and don't see a single line that says nobody else offered him a max deal. 

Yea, you read articles that showed only one other team other than the desperate Knicks offered him a "max" deal that is if he could manage 2,200 in both his 3rd and 4th year of the contract of course.

he shockingly only managed 682 and 1,466 minutes in those years, likely because of an ankle sprain and not his uninsurable knees.