Luol Deng vs Greg Monroe?

Guest BraveHawk

Guest BraveHawk

Personally I am beginning to have strong doubts the Hawks will get either one of these players (I seriously hope I am wrong!) but if you could choose one of them who would you pick? I would be very happy with either one of them but due to their age difference and the fact that I think the Hawks are in more of a need for a Center I would personally take Monroe. Right now I will be happy if they could sign Jordan Hill!

• Premium Member

Personally I am beginning to have strong doubts the Hawks will get either one of these players (I seriously hope I am wrong!) but if you could choose one of them who would you pick? I would be very happy with either one of them but due to their age difference and the fact that I think the Hawks are in more of a need for a Center I would personally take Monroe. Right now I will be happy if they could sign Jordan Hill!

I never really understood this thought that the Hawks are "So in need of a center".  We have one of the best centers in the league, yet our starting 3 is DMC.

• Moderators

Inaction brings on doubt and fear. We need Deng more than we need Monroe, but we also shouldn't straight jacket ourselves with big deals. Only way we get Monroe is if either Horf or Sap go out and Monroe isn't worth either. Deng fits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by PSSSHHHRRR87

1. Parsons

2. Monroe

3. Deng

I really don't get the obsession with Deng. He's a good fit because he's unrestricted, but Parsons is better at this point in their careers, esp with Thabo being on board.

Inaction brings on doubt and fear. We need Deng more than we need Monroe, but we also shouldn't straight jacket ourselves with big deals. Only way we get Monroe is if either Horf or Sap go out and Monroe isn't worth either. Deng fits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrong.  Millsap is has one year on his contract and his next will demand upwards of $12M.   We will likely not re-sign him considering we just drafted Payne.  His value to us is greater as a trade asset.  Trade him and a first for Monroe in a sign and trade.

Monroe sucks, and he can't play defense. Low bbiq and hasn't played any playoffs. So he has no playoff experience. I think you extend Millsap next year. 12mil for a freaking allstar! Why do people complain so much? Your going to trade an Allstar that costs 12mil a year for a possible 16-18mil a year in monroe who by the way sucks? 

Anyways I'd get deng. He isn't a freak athlete or anything but he is a proven player. 

Edited by Spurs

Monroe sucks, and he can't play defense. Low bbiq and hasn't played any playoffs. So he has no playoff experience. I think you extend Millsap next year. 12mil for a freaking allstar! Why do people complain so much? Your going to trade an Allstar that costs 12mil a year for a possible 16-18mil a year in monroe who by the way sucks?

Anyways I'd get deng. He isn't a freak athlete or anything but he is a proven player.

Facts:

Monroe is the better post scorer.

Monroe is the better rebounder.

Monroe is the better passer.

Millsap is the better defender.

Millsap has more versatility.

Millsap is 6 years older.

Random crap that can't be proven:

Millsap has a higher BBIQ

Utter nonsense:

Monroe sucks

• Like 2

Facts:

Monroe is the better post scorer.

Monroe is the better rebounder.

Monroe is the better passer.

Millsap is the better defender.

Millsap has more versatility.

Millsap is 6 years older.

Random crap that can't be proven:

Millsap has a higher BBIQ

Utter nonsense:

Monroe sucks

FACTS

Millsap scores more, blocks more, steals more, rebounds 0.7 less a game and has a .5 more turnovers. 

Millsap also has an average WS/48 of 0.152

Monroe has an average WS/48 of 0.126

One is a allstar and the other isn't. 

One is going to be paid at a good price while the other is going to be overpaid. 

I'd choose Millsap over Monroe 10 out of 10 times.

One averaged 19 and 11 with 3 assist in 7 games vs the Pacers and the other didn't play any playoffs. 

• Like 1

This reminds me of the whole Monta Ellis/ Brandon Jennings ordeal we suffered from last summer. "Strong" rumors indicated that we would get one of those players and it peresisted for weeks, only to end up getting someone who wasn't even in our rumor mill. As much as I want both of them, Deng more than Monroe, I believe we're no longer getting either player. Expect a sigining of Rodney Stuckey or Kris Humphries or someone random like that.

Expect a sigining of Rodney Stuckey or Kris Humphries or someone random like that.

Eek! I feel like i need to wave a voodoo stick or do a rain dance or something to make sure that doesn't happen. Or at least take a bath, i feel yucky thinking about it.

• Like 1

Eek! I feel like i need to wave a voodoo stick or do a rain dance or something to make sure that doesn't happen. Or at least take a bath, i feel yucky thinking about it.

Take a hot bath, then wrap a hot towel around ur head-Ferris B.

I'm selecting Deng because we won't have to give up anything to get him. We'll be adding to our team and making it better/deeper instead of switching players.

I'll take Al/Sap/Deng over Al/Monroe.

FACTS

Millsap scores more, blocks more, steals more, rebounds 0.7 less a game and has a .5 more turnovers.

Millsap also has an average WS/48 of 0.152

Monroe has an average WS/48 of 0.126

One is a allstar and the other isn't.

One is going to be paid at a good price while the other is going to be overpaid.

I'd choose Millsap over Monroe 10 out of 10 times.

One averaged 19 and 11 with 3 assist in 7 games vs the Pacers and the other didn't play any playoffs.

Thank you for affirming what I said. You did include scoring so we could say fact: Millsap has higher usage.

It's comical to use All Star appearances as a measuring stick. Btw how many did Millsap have on his 1st team or before he was 29?

How did Milsap do in the playoffs on those bad Jazz teams that failed to come close to the playoffs?

Oh and at 24 years old Millsap averaged 12/7 while Monroe averaged 17/10.

Millsap will be heading into his early 30's on the downside of his career and making 9-12 million on his next deal (I believe 10) and Monroe will be around 13 million and only 25 years old.

My whole point here is your claim that Monroe sucks is just flat out wrong and I've more than proven that.

• Like 2

I would prefer Millsap over Monroe everyday. However the problem is I seriously doubt Ferry is going to give Millsap a fat contract after next year, so if there is a chance to get Monroe with S&T using Millsap, we should do it. We will have a longer control over Monroe and he is younger.

Thank you for affirming what I said. You did include scoring so we could say fact: Millsap has higher usage.

It's comical to use All Star appearances as a measuring stick. Btw how many did Millsap have on his 1st team or before he was 29?

How did Milsap do in the playoffs on those bad Jazz teams that failed to come close to the playoffs?

Oh and at 24 years old Millsap averaged 12/7 while Monroe averaged 17/10.

Millsap will be heading into his early 30's on the downside of his career and making 9-12 million on his next deal (I believe 10) and Monroe will be around 13 million and only 25 years old.

My whole point here is your claim that Monroe sucks is just flat out wrong and I've more than proven that.

Hard to disagree with such logic. Monroe just turned 24 last month. He played every game as just a 23 year old last season. He is still a kid with tons of upside. Look at what Milsap was doing as a 23 year old.

The other factor of the contract shouldn't be ignored. Locking up a 24 year old for 4 years vs having a 29 year old on a 1 year contract is a huge deal.

Edited by coachx
  • Like 2

For the people who think Monroe is some stiff..... Here he is getting a triple double whole playing center vs Cousins.

He runs the floor like a deer, has excellent visions and passing ability, solid athletic ability, post game, and can get physical.

I'd love to see Coach Bud get a C who is a threat to both score and pass in his system. The Spurs have that.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=__jOUY63d

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

The problem with Monroe is that he is RFA.  I would rather that he signed with Detroit for his final year and re-enter the fray next year.  Detroit has the money to match any deal he gets so there's really no need to forward a deal only to watch them lock him up.  If he signs the QO, then during the season with rumblings of going elsewhere, I venture to say that Detroit will trade him.