• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks FA Targets Update?

Guest BraveHawk

• Premium Member

I just like how Sap gets things done.........he runs the court, can play inside, rebounds, and can shoot the ball from the preimeter.  He is a short PF.   I just dont see Horf or Monroe that can do those things.  

I definitely agree, while Horf may be the better midrange shooter, I think Sap plays a better all around game.  I would easily give them Horf for Monroe and keep on moving.

• Premium Member

I wouldn't trade Horford for Monroe. I'd trade Millsap because he's older and he's about to be a FA and he plays the position that we need to see Horford given a shot to play. 

If we're not doing PNR or PNP,  I don't know what Horf can do in a Halfcourt set.   Horf's lackon an inside game is exactly why I think Monroe would be the right pickup for us.

Now, I'm not against trading Sap and a 1st... but I would easily do a straightup Horf trade.

I can't see Detroit balking on that.

At some point you have to realize that late picks = Guaranteed contracts.  For example, look at John Jenkins vs. Mike Scott.  Jenkins is not as good as Scott has been, not as valuble and Jenkins has guaranteed money whereas Scott was a 2nd rounder.  I figure if we get a player as good as Monroe, we will be late first round.  Those picks for us is about the equivalent of a 2nd rounder.  I don't know about you, but I'm tired of watching or GM stash picks to save money.  Let's use them in a trade and get a really good player.  Not every pick but we can be strategic and weigh out our needs.

I'm not about giving up future picks for anything less than a superstar player.  Certainly not for Monroe, a guy who's at this point not as good all around as the guy we'd be sending them. That just makes no sense. It's like giving a waiter a 40% tip for average service. 

• Like 1

If we're not doing PNR or PNP,  I don't know what Horf can do in a Halfcourt set.   Horf's lackon an inside game is exactly why I think Monroe would be the right pickup for us.

Now, I'm not against trading Sap and a 1st... but I would easily do a straightup Horf trade.

I can't see Detroit balking on that.

Horford is excellent in transition, in the pick n pop and in the pick n roll plus he's got range all the way out to the 3pt line. That covers everything but back to the basket scoring and there aren't a ton of guys in the league who excel at that anyway. Not sure what more you could want out of Horford offensively. 

No way on Earth I'd give them Horford for Monroe straight up. Drummond yeah, but not Monroe. 

• Premium Member

Definitely an interesting article.  However, the thing that is missed is that Monroe clashes with Drummond as well.  They play the same way.  When you have them on the floor together, Drummond takes away some dimensions that Monroe has in spade (low post play).   SO Monroe becomes basically a pick and pop high post player.  He's Ok at it, but it's a struggle.  Smoove got to go because he's a lockerroom problem.  These signs that Monroe is putting out there pretty much sums it up, he and Smoove don't get along on the court of off it.  He's probably said something about Jacking threes and challenged Smoove to be more of a team player and Smoove probably cussed him out and reminded him of who makes the most.

They should find a way to get Smoove to SacTown before SVG falls in love with him.  SVG love stretch forwards and that's what Smoove wants to be.  He's not that, but he wants it badly. As we know, it will lead to the destruction of the Pistons if they let him play Stretch pF and do his Dirk imitation.

The good news for them is that Caldwell Pope is a baller.  So is Singler.  They have Sfs and SG locked.  They really should reach for the Smoove for Thomas trade.

• Premium Member

I'm not about giving up future picks for anything less than a superstar player.  Certainly not for Monroe, a guy who's at this point not as good all around as the guy we'd be sending them. That just makes no sense. It's like giving a waiter a 40% tip for average service. 

You overvalue a future pick.  Get off the welfare and let's finally get a player that will lead us to some winning basketball.  We are not giving up a lottery pick so it's not worth that much.  We can still pick in the 2nd round, it's worth the same.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Horford is excellent in transition, in the pick n pop and in the pick n roll plus he's got range all the way out to the 3pt line. That covers everything but back to the basket scoring and there aren't a ton of guys in the league who excel at that anyway. Not sure what more you could want out of Horford offensively. 

No way on Earth I'd give them Horford for Monroe straight up. Drummond yeah, but not Monroe. 

I have a bad feeling about holding Horford.  I don't think he will resign with us.  For all he's been through with us, i wouldn't either.  He has value, we should use his value and get a younger, better fitting C.

You overvalue a future pick.  Get off the welfare and let's finally get a player that will lead us to some winning basketball.  We are not giving up a lottery pick so it's not worth that much.  We can still pick in the 2nd round, it's worth the same.

How can you overvalue a pick that you have no idea what it's value will be?  Get off the giving away stuff for free when it's not needed to be given away. Common sense says that you don't overpay when you don't have to. 

And come on man this is comical that you're referring to Monroe as a player who's going to "lead us" anywhere. 

I have a bad feeling about holding Horford.  I don't think he will resign with us.  For all he's been through with us, i wouldn't either.  He has value, we should use his value and get a younger, better fitting C.

True, but Cousins and Drummond aren't available. So we keep Horford and see what happens. 

• Premium Member

How can you overvalue a pick that you have no idea what it's value will be?  Get off the giving away stuff for free when it's not needed to be given away. Common sense says that you don't overpay when you don't have to. 

And come on man this is comical that you're referring to Monroe as a player who's going to "lead us" anywhere. 

First off, it's not for FREE???  Milsap is great, but he's on the last year of his deal.  IF I'm Detroit, I want something in return for the future allstar that I'm giving up.  Milsap is 30... he's good but if I'm in Detroit shoes I'm saying... I can give up Monroe but it's going to cost the other team more than an aging allstar on the last year of his deal.

Second...You're right, we don't know the true value of the pick.  However, we know that our team has been to the playoffs 7 years straight and last year, we did it without our allstar C.  That is to say if we make a trade and get a player who fits better and helps us in our weak areas, then we should be going back to the playoffs.  Moreover, we should be a high seed in the playoffs.  Our win count should be really great.  IF you feel that all the wheels will fall off, protect the pick to 7.  However, don't say that we shouldn't give up a Pick because we might be able to get Chris Paul.  We passed on him before.  Now when I say a future first, I'm not talking about 2015's first.  I would keep that just because BKLYN is old.  However,  2016... sure.

• Premium Member

True, but Cousins and Drummond aren't available. So we keep Horford and see what happens. 

Yeah... we end up losing him like we lost Smoove.  I want you to remember how we lost Smoove.  All year long when we had Smoove in his contract year, we got nothng but lowball offers.  The reason being is that they knew that Smoove would be a free agent.  We love talking this addition by subtraction BS when we miss out on opportunities to trade valuable players for value.  If we mess around and keep Horf who prolly has no plans to resign, what we "will see" is how big of a mistake we can make when we're holding on  to good but not great and we're letting soon to be great pass by.

First off, it's not for FREE???  Milsap is great, but he's on the last year of his deal.  IF I'm Detroit, I want something in return for the future allstar that I'm giving up.  Milsap is 30... he's good but if I'm in Detroit shoes I'm saying... I can give up Monroe but it's going to cost the other team more than an aging allstar on the last year of his deal.

Second...You're right, we don't know the true value of the pick.  However, we know that our team has been to the playoffs 7 years straight and last year, we did it without our allstar C.  That is to say if we make a trade and get a player who fits better and helps us in our weak areas, then we should be going back to the playoffs.  Moreover, we should be a high seed in the playoffs.  Our win count should be really great.  IF you feel that all the wheels will fall off, protect the pick to 7.  However, don't say that we shouldn't give up a Pick because we might be able to get Chris Paul.  We passed on him before.  Now when I say a future first, I'm not talking about 2015's first.  I would keep that just because BKLYN is old.  However,  2016... sure.

You misunderstand. What's FREE is you're giving up a future pick, aka currency, when it's not needed.  Tell me D, when you go and buy a car and the salesman gives you the price, do you say hey let me give you an extra 5k or so just because you're feeling charitable? 

I don't care what the Hawks have done or will do, a 1st round pick is always currency and you don't give it away when you don't have to. You don't give it away for players who aren't difference makers and Monroe isn't that. 

Yeah... we end up losing him like we lost Smoove.  I want you to remember how we lost Smoove.  All year long when we had Smoove in his contract year, we got nothng but lowball offers.  The reason being is that they knew that Smoove would be a free agent.  We love talking this addition by subtraction BS when we miss out on opportunities to trade valuable players for value.  If we mess around and keep Horf who prolly has no plans to resign, what we "will see" is how big of a mistake we can make when we're holding on  to good but not great and we're letting soon to be great pass by.

You're mistaken. We didn't "lose" Smoove. We didn't even attempt to keep him.  Unless Horford loses another year to injury that won't be the case with him. We will do what it takes to keep him. 

And again you don't give up more in a trade than you need. Your Santa Clause mentality would bankrupt this team if you were in charge. 

I'm really torn on this whole Monroe/Millsap situation. I love Sap, but I feel like Monroe could flourish in our system. He recently turned 24 so I believe there's plenty of time for him to improve defensively. Offensively, he brings the post scoring we've been missing for quite some time. I just don't know if I'd want to give up first rounders in the deal.

Edited by Frenzy
  • Like 2

I'm not about giving up future picks for anything less than a superstar player. Certainly not for Monroe, a guy who's at this point not as good all around as the guy we'd be sending them. That just makes no sense. It's like giving a waiter a 40% tip for average service.

What is the waiter(ess) is hot?...:-/

• Moderators

Letting players walk is the most underrated transaction by fans.   Sometimes its the best thing to do because you actually clear space to sign better players.   A trade will bring back something and if all you can get back is stuff you don't want then it's much worse than letting them walk.

• Like 3

Monroe runs the floor well. He's a better rebounder and possibly the best passing C in the league. He does t have the range of Millsap but we've got plenty of guys who can stretch the D. Monroe gives you a guy who's 6'11 and can get you buckets in the paint, which we have nobody who can do that now.

Tiago Splitter can hardly make a layup.  Not EVERY player has to have 3 point range in our system.  Monroe would play center for us.  He is exactly what we need.  Entering his prime and likely being under-coached in the dumpster fire of Detroit.  Like Millap, he will likely show a leap forward under Bud and staff.

GIVE ME MONROE!

Monroe runs the floor well. He's a better rebounder and possibly the best passing C in the league. He does t have the range of Millsap but we've got plenty of guys who can stretch the D. Monroe gives you a guy who's 6'11 and can get you buckets in the paint, which we have nobody who can do that now.

Tiago Splitter can hardly make a layup.  Not EVERY player has to have 3 point range in our system.  Monroe would play center for us.  He is exactly what we need.  Entering his prime and likely being under-coached in the dumpster fire of Detroit.  Like Millap, he will likely show a leap forward under Bud and staff.

GIVE ME MONROE!

• Like 1

I definitely agree, while Horf may be the better midrange shooter, I think Sap plays a better all around game.  I would easily give them Horf for Monroe and keep on moving.

And this is why half the board doesn't tke you seriously.   People want to call Millsap and "All-star" and he was....ONCE.  Horford IS an all-star, will be again, and is more valuable than Monroe and Millsap and has a bargain contract.  This notion is absolutely bat$hit.

Here's a FA scouting report from DraftExpress on Monroe.  People really should watch this video and form their own opinions of him.

<script height="355px" width="650px" src="http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.js#ec=hnNG9tbjrJjMyILjHX9fGFYBxooCYPHC&pbid=23b69841d9454479a6f4fcf4a8514588"></script>

Maybe Bud looks at him as a homeless man's Timmy.  

• Like 1