• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Greg Monroe Topics

NBASupes

• Moderators

In a perfect world, we would have Demarcus Cousins manning the 5 next to Horford, but since this isn't a perfect world, Monroe is the next best thing that fixes a need.

Positives with trading/signing Monroe:

1. Low-post scoring
  2. Rebounding
  3. Moving Horf to 4
  4. A center with Chris Webber passing ability
  5. Monroe compliments Horford - Monroe plays low-post, Horf in the mid-range

Also, the tandem of Horford/Monroe would cost $26 mil.  Add in Teague, KK, and DMC, we would be at $42.5 mil for our starting core.  Also, with Monroe's passing ability, we could bring back the high-low that use to be very successful with Horford/Smith.

The only negative I see is defense, but Monroe isn't terrible at defense.  He had dWS of 2.3 which is average and averages over a steal per game.  He was also 7th in the entire league for offensive rebounds, 15th in defensive rebounds, and 11th in total rebounds - and that's playing alongside Drummond who is the 5th best rebounder in the league.  I just see so many positives and areas of need fixed with bringing in Monroe.  I think most don't like Monroe because he isn't a proven and sexy asset.  He isn't Cousins or Dwight, but he is one hell of a player and would be dominate paired up with Horford.

Well he does block shots and can rebound, but yea he is overrated but I would take him.

7'-2"  with a career 6.7 rebounds per game.  Let that sink in.  5.5 rebounds in the playoffs last season.  Didn't he have a big fat 0 rebound games against us. He's 7'-2" - at least one should fall to him.

Millsap's a better rebounder 

• Premium Member

7'-2"  with a career 6.7 rebounds per game.  Let that sink in.  5.5 rebounds in the playoffs last season.  Didn't he have a big fat 0 rebound games against us. He's 7'-2" - at least one should fall to him.

Millsap's a better rebounder 

Yes, Sap is much better.   No matter what Hibbert is a shot blocker who at least plays some defense.  I would not take him at his salary

Yes, Sap is much better. No matter what Hibbert is a shot blocker who at least plays some defense. I would not take him at his salary

I would like to think that his last season was a fluke with all the locker room turmoil, but his mental state seems to affect his game too easily. Fragile.

• Moderators

Hibbert is an elite defender but that is all he is right now.  Until he starts rebounding, he shouldn't be an All-Star.  I don't think his abysmal post-season really reflects his true value, though, so people relying too much on that are probably underrating him, IMO.  

His impact has been hugely positive for the Pacers the last few years.  The Pacers were 6.7 points per 100 possessions better with Hibbert this year and 10.2 points better last year.  That is very real and significant positive impact.  

Monroe has been net neutral (+1.5 pp100 and -1.5 pp100).

I asked my insider friend about the rumored ATL/Det/Philly deal involving Monroe sign and trade to hawks. He replied:

"Indeed. Philly wants to dump a few extra contracts and Detroit can't land Monroe (he's refusing to sign there) so logically, the Pistons want to get something out of it. So, they're willing to take some iffy bench players rather than go out without anything."

I'm holding out hope they can pull off this deal using Philly's contracts to give Detroit enough return for Monroe. Hawks will have to send out someone but maybe not as much as if philly we're not involved.

I asked my insider friend about the rumored ATL/Det/Philly deal involving Monroe sign and trade to hawks. He replied:

"Indeed. Philly wants to dump a few extra contracts and Detroit can't land Monroe (he's refusing to sign there) so logically, the Pistons want to get something out of it. So, they're willing to take some iffy bench players rather than go out without anything."

I'm holding out hope they can pull off this deal using Philly's contracts to give Detroit enough return for Monroe. Hawks will have to send out someone but maybe not as much as if philly we're not involved.

Wait a minute....

Did Monroe not sign the QF offer?

• Moderators

He might end up willing to take 4/$50 or something more reasonable like that if he can just get out of Detroit and onto a less dysfunctional roster where he can play center.  I wouldn't be looking forward to another season of "Dysfunctional Frontcourt" in Detroit where Josh plays out of position to his detriment at SF and Monroe does the same thing at PF.

• Moderators

I dont understand why a lot of you cant see he is not coming here on a max contract.   

Too many negatives for me.  Is this meaning:

he isn't coming here unless on a  max contract or

he isn't coming here on a max contract?

• Moderators

And to think it took us just under 500 posts for Monroe, a player who isn't a Hawk and probably never be a Hawk.

Monroe is interesting because he is a borderline guy - he could improve and be a stud or he could regress and be a significantly overpaid player.  He is unusually available since his team is in such dissarray after signing and overpaying Josh Smith but there are real concerns about how much you pay to trade for a guy who has a real risk of not living up to his contract.  He has been moved out of position at PF and labeled a defensive liability but that isn't clear whether he can't play defense or he needs to play center (playing someone in a position to fail usually leads to bad results).  

On top of all that, you layer on discussions about what types of risks the Hawks should be taking as part of their team building philosophy.

And to stoke the flames just one step further, we have gotten periodic media reports that the Hawks are engaged with the Pistons on Monroe but never much in the way of detail which lends itself to varying interpretations.

This type of typic lends itself to a lot of interesting discussion.

• Like 2