• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Greg Monroe Topics

NBASupes

• Premium Member

I wonder if this is what Danny is holding out for.  Monroe's QO is just north of $5 mil.  A lot better than $14 mil AND we could get Monroe for a lot less than Millsap.  I'm thinking DMC + Jenkins and move Sap to SF.  A lot teams moving athletic PF's to SF and playing big lineups this year (LAL w/ Boozer, CHI w/ Gibson, DEN w/ Gallinari, etc.).  Our starting lineup could be Monroe/Horford/Sap/Korver/Teague by the deadline.  That starting group is elite offensively and average defensively.  We could get to the ECF with that lineup.

Even if we got him on a trade midseason, he still will either sign after we pick him up  or go QO on us.  All in all, it's not really a savings unless you just mean for this year.

It would be nice to get rid of Jenkins though.

• Premium Member

That article also said Lance Stephenson was a possible target which was completely inaccurate. At any rate, the way Deng has declined the last few years, I and many other Hawks fans wouldn't have agreed with paying him 9 million per. And then there was this from a more credible source...

Doesn't sound like lowballing to me. And no matter who the GM is, the ASG still signs the checks and have some say in what the Hawks do.

That's Gasol for 1 year.

Doesn't say anything about what we offered Deng.

I still think the Wiz and cRaptors each had the culmination of a lot of contract years and best seasons of guys' careers all at the same time. Both coaches were on the verge of being on the hot seat. I'd say it's just as likely that they both fall back a bit as it is they each take that next step.

I hope you are right. I'm afraid of the development of Wall and Beal, and the fact that they are pretty big up front with Gortat and Nene. I'm happy they replaced Ariza with Pierce because I think that's a step down. Ariza is an underrated defender and Pierce is almost done.

With that Raptors I'm worried that Derozen is turning into a legit star/superstar and now Lowry is back after he signed long term with them. They also have a very up and coming big man in the middle in Valanciunas.

With all that said, I still like us over both those clubs. All goes well we should have that 3rd seed locked up. Actually make that the 2nd seed because the Cavs and Bulls are in the same division.

Greg Monroe to sign 1-year qualifying offer to stay with Pistons:

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/8/12/5944785/greg-monroe-pistons-qualifying-offer-nba

He must of really hated playing with jennings and j-brick if hes willing to risk tens of millions of dollars in order to force his way out. I have NEVER seen a rookie that is guaranteed to make 10mil per+, take a qualifying offer.

This makes the big man 2015 Free agency class even deeper

Deandre jordan

Asik

Monroe

Roy Hibbert (PO)

Robin Lopez

Marc Gasol

Tyson Chandler

Edited by yungsta
  • Like 2

YESSSSSS...finally the talk is over. Thank you!!

I don't think this is the end. This shows Monroe is on his way out next summer regardless and Pistons will explore sign and trade options now. We or any team could get Monroe for cheap this year then pay him next off-season if worthy.

• Premium Member

That's Gasol for 1 year.

Doesn't say anything about what we offered Deng.

The tweet says 11 plus a year which implies it was a multi year offer. It also refutes the notion that the Hawks are lowballing free agents. It seems the Hawks offered Deng what they felt he was worth and Deng wanted more. That's not lowballing.

• Premium Member

I don't think this is the end. This shows Monroe is on his way out next summer regardless and Pistons will explore sign and trade options now. We or any team could get Monroe for cheap this year then pay him next off-season if worthy.

Sign and trade is no longer a possibility once he signs the qualifying offer and he probably can't be traded for a period of time thereafter. I agree that this seems to be the beginning of the end for Monroe in Detroit. But I'm guessing he plays out the season in Detroit unless the Pistons deal him to a team he wants to play for and that will pay him what he wants longterm.

YESSSSSS...finally the talk is over. Thank you!!

Chile please.  It's just beginning: it'll just shift to the trade deadline and his free agency and DF shouldn't even bother having capspace because no free agent will want to come here. Same ole same ole.

Let the season begin! I'm ready!!!

I hope you are right. I'm afraid of the development of Wall and Beal, and the fact that they are pretty big up front with Gortat and Nene. I'm happy they replaced Ariza with Pierce because I think that's a step down. Ariza is an underrated defender and Pierce is almost done.

With that Raptors I'm worried that Derozen is turning into a legit star/superstar and now Lowry is back after he signed long term with them. They also have a very up and coming big man in the middle in Valanciunas.

With all that said, I still like us over both those clubs. All goes well we should have that 3rd seed locked up. Actually make that the 2nd seed because the Cavs and Bulls are in the same division.

Washington also has a bench so they're in the conversation.  Toronto surprised teams last season after trading Rudy Gay, most thought they were going to tank but instead played well.  Teams will be more prepared and their bench is suspect.

Chile please. It's just beginning: it'll just shift to the trade deadline and his free agency and DF shouldn't even bother having capspace because no free agent will want to come here. Same ole same ole.

Let the season begin! I'm ready!!!

So the talk of Monroe is never ending?....:-/

I'm ready too...comon November !!!

The tweet says 11 plus a year which implies it was a multi year offer. It also refutes the notion that the Hawks are lowballing free agents. It seems the Hawks offered Deng what they felt he was worth and Deng wanted more. That's not lowballing.

From that article:

The big man also went to Twitter to quiet a report that he turned down a five-year, $60 million offer and a four-year, $58 million offer. The free agent said such offers were never put on the table.

The Pistons definitely were trying to low ball him, in My, Monroe and his agents opinion, if they never made the above type offers. The five for 60 is similar to what we matched on Smoove/JBrick when he was restricted, 5 years 58 million. 

I think Monroe is way more valuable than Josh at similar stages in their careers.

Washington also has a bench so they're in the conversation.  Toronto surprised teams last season after trading Rudy Gay, most thought they were going to tank but instead played well.  Teams will be more prepared and their bench is suspect.

The Wizards are suspect due to age and Ariza leaving. Nene already a injury risk is getting up there in age and he was a key cog when they played well; especially on the defensive end. In fact you could argue the front line of Nene, Gortat, and Ariza was second only to Indy with Hibbert, George, and West defensively in the East.

The Raps may have surprised some people but they have a very talented offensive team. Unfortunately for them, their defense has to improve if they want to take another step up. 

Edited by Buzzard

So the talk of Monroe is never ending?....:-/

I'm ready too...comon November !!!

Here is what a Pistons beat writer had to say:

Vincent Goodwill @vgoodwill

It appears the #Pistons are holding out hope that Monroe won't take the Q/O until he actually signs it...11th hour hope

So Pistons seem to not want him to sign the QO. So trade options are still on until he does.

• Moderators

Monroe will accept the QO and become a 2015 free agent:

Greg Monroe has told the Detroit Pistons that he will accept the qualifying offer for the 14-15 season and become a free agent next summer.

Monroe will play for $5.479 million after he was unable to get a deal done on a long-term contract with the Pistons or any other club.

Monroe cannot be traded without his consent once he signs the qualfiying offer.

Ben Gordon and Raymond Felton are two players that have recently signed qualifying offers coming into restricted free agency.

Via Jeff Zillgitt/USA Today

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/234612/Greg-Monroe-To-Accept-Pistons-Qualifying-Offer-Become-2015-Free-Agent