Point Guard Available for the Right Price

bird_dirt

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/8/31/6089601/rajon-rondo-trade-request-celtics-rumors

Rondo is seeking a trade out of Boston. I know many don't care for him and his shooting, but he's one of my favorite PGs with his distribution and defense. He's still in a prime, contributing age for a player. And he would be a REAL upgrade from Teague.

No, Wallace has a horrible contract and rondo is not going to improve us more then e onlyTeague and Millsap

That would be the only way they'd trade Rondo to us. They'd want us to take a bad contract for an expiring All-Star and a Point Guard for future. I honestly don't think it'd be worth trading with the Celtics.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Then again, this would probably have to be a three-team trade because Boston has a logjam at PG.  They have zero need for Teague.  We would have to find a team that is in need of a PG and has other positions to give up.  I can see Houston or Dallas being options, but they'd probably want Rondo and expect us to take a back seat...  I like a combo of Horford/Rondo.  But once again, bittersweet.

• Like 1

Rondo's passing ability and defense fits Bud's system better than Teague, but as a fan, I'd hate to see Teague go... it'd be bittersweet.

That maybe true but Rondo's shooting or lack there of wouldn't fit Bud''s system though.

• Moderators

That maybe true but Rondo's shooting or lack there of wouldn't fit Bud''s system though.

Teague isn't a great shooter either... Or a great passer... Or a great defender... Or sees the floor particularly well... Rondo checks a lot of Bud's boxes that Teague isn't particularly good at. Plus, Rondo would create buzz. I love Teague and I believe he will be a better player this season, but Rondo is the 2nd best PG in the league, behind Paul. He is intelligent, understands the game very well, defends well, and is an elite passer. He is a piece to a championship team.

My only concern is the locker room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rondo is pretty overrated (2nd best PG?), but he's a solid player. I would not give up any of Teague/Millsap/Horford/Korver for him, and so he's probably not headed this way. He's a headcase, an assist-padder and he's never lead a particularly efficient offense. Plus he's coming off an injury. I don't know, I'd pass unless we can add him to our core rather than give up some of our core for him. I don't find him any better than Millsap or Horford, and the gap between him and Teague is pretty close.

Rondo is pretty overrated (2nd best PG?), but he's a solid player. I would not give up any of Teague/Millsap/Horford/Korver for him, and so he's probably not headed this way. He's a headcase, an assist-padder and he's never lead a particularly efficient offense. Plus he's coming off an injury. I don't know, I'd pass unless we can add him to our core rather than give up some of our core for him. I don't find him any better than Millsap or Horford, and the gap between him and Teague is pretty close.

If you're rating the true PG's, then Rondo is definitely near the top of that list.  He's a triple-double machine and makes his entire team better.  I don't know that I'd give up Teague AND Sap for him and then have to take back Wallace, but he's a definite upgrade to Teague.  His ability to penetrate would help make up for our lack of a post scorer. 

That's crazy. Of pure PG (not combo "I'm a shooting guard who plays point), he is among the very best. I don't know where headcase comes from - a d*ck sometimes maybe, but floor leaders should have some dog in them, and he definitely makes the players around him better.

Assist padding - lol. How is creating assists a bad thing? Is he stealing them from others? I wouldn't mind a little more assist padding from our pg.

and he's definitely worth any one of our core, maybe two depending on what we get back.

That's crazy. Of pure PG (not combo "I'm a shooting guard who plays point), he is among the very best. I don't know where headcase comes from - a d*ck sometimes maybe, but floor leaders should have some dog in them, and he definitely makes the players around him better.

Assist padding - lol. How is creating assists a bad thing? Is he stealing them from others? I wouldn't mind a little more assist padding from our pg.

and he's definitely worth any one of our core, maybe two depending on what we get back.

He'll pass up wide-open layups for open jumpers to pad his assists. He's also not very efficient offensively, can't shoot and for a "pure" PG hasn't led any super efficient offenses. As for headcase, that's probably a bit of a reach on my part.

Having said that, he's a good player. I just don't think he's great. I'd take him if we can add him to our core. But he's definitely not worth losing Horford, Millsap or probably even Teague. I think Korver is more important honestly. Agree to disagree, I suppose.

If you're rating the true PG's, then Rondo is definitely near the top of that list.  He's a triple-double machine and makes his entire team better.  I don't know that I'd give up Teague AND Sap for him and then have to take back Wallace, but he's a definite upgrade to Teague.  His ability to penetrate would help make up for our lack of a post scorer. 

Does "true" PG mean a pass-first guard who can't shoot or finish at the rim? If so, yeah, he's a little better than Rubio. I'd rather have players like Paul and Irving who can definitely pass but can also shoot and finish.

Does "true" PG mean a pass-first guard who can't shoot or finish at the rim? If so, yeah, he's a little better than Rubio. I'd rather have players like Paul and Irving who can definitely pass but can also shoot and finish.

You apparently never watch basketball!  Rondo does have trouble shooting (from the floor and FT's), but he is a top 3 at his position at defense, penetrating and passing.  If you're comparing him to Teague, the only thing Teague is noticeably better at than Rondo is shooting FT's and possibly finishing since Teague has good hops.  Teague isn't exactly a world beater at shooting the ball either.  It's not like we're comparing Calderon's shooting to Rondo's.  Let's be real. Rondo is a major upgrade over Teague, but I don't necessarily think Rondo/Wallace would be better than Teague/Sap

• Moderators

You apparently never watch basketball!  Rondo does have trouble shooting (from the floor and FT's), but he is a top 3 at his position at defense, penetrating and passing.  If you're comparing him to Teague, the only thing Teague is noticeably better at than Rondo is shooting FT's and possibly finishing since Teague has good hops.  Teague isn't exactly a world beater at shooting the ball either.  It's not like we're comparing Calderon's shooting to Rondo's.  Let's be real. Rondo is a major upgrade over Teague, but I don't necessarily think Rondo/Wallace would be better than Teague/Sap

I actually didn't realize Rondo had a good year last year in the games he played.   Averaged 11/10 with a horrible squad.   It says something that you can get 10 assists with that group.   He decided to triple his three point attempts but probably just tired of playing on such a horrible team.   It's tough because I do really like Teague and I think Teague's quickness means a lot for this team.

I watch plenty of basketball. Teague is a worse defender and passer, yes, but Teague is younger and much better at getting into the lane and finishing. Like, a LOT better. Plus Teague can get to the free throw line, which this team really needs. Rondo has the capability but he doesn't do it. Rondo is probably a better player than Teague but I really don't think it's a major upgrade.

Rondo is average defensively at best. Teague is a superior shooter to Rondo. Rondo has never led a team without hall of famers to the playoffs that is something to take note of. I like Rondo and he may be slightly better than Teague at this point but it is not enough to make me interested.

• Moderators

I watch plenty of basketball. Teague is a worse defender and passer, yes, but Teague is younger and much better at getting into the lane and finishing. Like, a LOT better. Plus Teague can get to the free throw line, which this team really needs. Rondo has the capability but he doesn't do it. Rondo is probably a better player than Teague but I really don't think it's a major upgrade.

How is Teague better getting to and at finishing near the basket?

Rondo shoots .609 FG% from 0-3 feet over his career and shoots 45.5% of his shots from that distance.

Teague shoots a worse .597 FG% from the same distance and only shoots 34.1% of his shots from up close.

Teague is a much better jump shooter but Rondo has shot over 50% from the floor several seasons precisely because he is so good at penetrating and getting to the basket.

Rondo is significantly better than average defensively.  While his huge hands are a liability on jump shots, they are an asset on defense and with his ballhandling and passing.

All that said, I wouldn't deal Sap and Teague for Rondo.

• Like 2