• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Just WOW! (Levenson will sell Hawks)

Jody23

Koonin: "Players can't trust management because management has betrayed them"

2:30

http://v103.cbslocal.com/2014/09/09/video-atlanta-hawks-ceo-to-the-rcms-weve-got-to-earn-peoples-trust-back-and-thats-a-step-at-a-t/

But management is being retained so something has to give?

• Like 2

But management is being retained so something has to give?

Yeah that quote made no sense after hearing his 92.9 interview.

Edited by GameTime
  • Like 3

Yeah that quote made no sense after hearing his 92.9 interview.

Deng is rightfully very upset here. I just wonder if it's directed at Ferry or whomever originally said those words, assuming it wasn't Ferry, or if he's upset with both. 

By the time this is over it's going to be worse than the Joe Johnson saga for this franchise. 

• Like 1

Deng is rightfully very upset here. I just wonder if it's directed at Ferry or whomever originally said those words, assuming it wasn't Ferry, or if he's upset with both. 

By the time this is over it's going to be worse than the Joe Johnson saga for this franchise. 

Well the tankers should be happy.

• Like 1

• Moderators

The finger is pointed at Ferry when he talks about being evaluated as a free agent by using this language.  Regardless of whether a scout wrote the report, Ferry considered it when evaluating his candidacy as a free agent with the owners.  That is what Deng finds so disappointing and disturbing.  

• Like 1

The last sentence of Deng's statement is why we need to clean house.  We're going to have an even worse stigma on this franchise and players are going to avoid us like the plague because of it.

The finger is pointed at Ferry when he talks about being evaluated as a free agent by using this language.  Regardless of whether a scout wrote the report, Ferry considered it when evaluating his candidacy as a free agent with the owners.  That is what Deng finds so disappointing and disturbing.  

And that's what fans should find so disappointing and disturbing.  Ferry felt the need to call Deng and apologize so he knew he did something wrong.  Is that enough to overcome the perception he now has?

Well the tankers should be happy.

It's crazy to think from reading Deng's comments, that in his eyes it could be Gearon who he's referring to as standing up for him. This is crazy crazy crazy but what if we end up firing Ferry, Gearon ends up being majority owner... do his actions and the response from Deng actually help the Hawks attract free agents / fans? 

He fooled SOME of you.

Not me. I never trusted the dude from day 1. He's always came across as a Jay Bills-like.. "I'm the smartest person in the room" type personna.

Honestly, everyone wants to claim they saw through Ferry but they are all lying. Only the trolls on this site called out the treatment of Ferry from day one and frequently.

The trolls are basically Hotlanta and myself.

I would hope that Ferry didn't actually use this to consider Deng's validity as a free agent. Until that comes from someone other than Gearon I'm going to have a hard time believing it. If it is the case, then Ferry should be fired immediately. 

It's crazy to think from reading Deng's comments, that in his eyes it could be Gearon who he's referring to as standing up for him. This is crazy crazy crazy but what if we end up firing Ferry, Gearon ends up being majority owner... do his actions and the response from Deng actually help the Hawks attract free agents / fans? 

Gearon definitely has an agenda.....

My hope is the majority owner buys out ASG.....

• Like 1

"Ultimately, I’m thankful to be with an organization that appreciates me for who I am and has gone out of its way to make me feel welcome."

That one stings the most from the Deng comments.

This comment is now the biggest hurdle the Hawks have to overcome.  It's like a dagger.

• Like 2

Gearon definitely has an agenda.....

My hope is the majority owner buys out ASG.....

Any chance that Magic could come be that guy??  I can't remember what his situation is and whether or not he got ownership of one of the LA franchises or not. 

This comment is now the biggest hurdle the Hawks have to overcome.  It's like a dagger.

I feel like I almost can't take anymore as a fan.

First as a Dolphins fan I've got to go through the whole mess where our owner tried to hire Harbaugh, even though we already had a coach under contract. Then the Incognito - Martin crap. That on top of the Joe Johnson saga and now this as a Hawks fan. I almost can't take it anymore. 

• Like 2

Any chance that Magic could come be that guy??  I can't remember what his situation is and whether or not he got ownership of one of the LA franchises or not. 

I always thought he spelled it "Ervin".  I've learned something today.

I feel like I almost can't take anymore as a fan.

First as a Dolphins fan I've got to go through the whole mess where our owner tried to hire Harbaugh, even though we already had a coach under contract. Then the Incognito - Martin crap. That on top of the Joe Johnson saga and now this as a Hawks fan. I almost can't take it anymore. 

The bandwagon fans might have the right idea.  You too can have you "favorite" team win a title every year.

• Like 1

• Moderators

This part really concerns me as well. Are we really more worried about diversity in the management of the team than we are hiring the best qualified people? What if the best people were all Asian... or black, or hispanic? Would it have mattered then? 

We may reach that day where by dumb luck, in limited circumstances, the most qualified persons for X "just turn out" to be persons of a single race (and/or gender, etc.). In a diverse urban population such as we have to draw employees and partners from, such a circumstance can be a hard sell.

What happens with situations like this is, an organizational failure that appears to harm citizens on the basis of race will cause people to now wonder aloud whether "the best qualified people" really were ever hired in the first place. For some races, questions of qualification arise in public discourse the moment you were announced as the new hire, and they grow louder, say, once you've passed up Chris Paul for Marvin Williams. For such individuals, there's precious little room for error on a high-profile job.

For one race in particular, no matter how many are hired to run a firm, questions of whether the best qualified individuals are being hired rarely arise until crap hits the proverbial fan. When the GM, Assistant GM, and CFO all happen to be white guys from Duke, few people will bat an eye and ask, "...now, wait a minute..." because competency, accomplishment, and qualification are already assumed to be baked in. Until something happens. Then, much like a certain police department in the Show Me State learned recently, the organization in question needs to demonstrate to the people they serve ("Show Me") that they're an Equal Opportunity Employer, in word and deed.

Especially when you are situated in a metropolitan setting, if you strive to build a diverse organization, at multiple tiers of responsibility, failures such as this not only are less likely to come about, but offer greater confidence among the consuming public that the issues can be fixed with little need for external influence.

~lw3