Caron Butler/Laphonzo Ellis to Atlanta

This would set us up!

JT/DD

DJ/Glover

Butler/Ira/CC

SAR/Ellis/Hendu

Theo/Nazr.

LA does it because:

1. Phil Likes vets that can shoot. (Toni/Email).

2. Phil like Big Gaurds and the Lakers need Gaurds right now.

3. Phil Likes Versatile players.

Miami does it because:

1. Pat likes vets (George).

2. Pat needs Morning insurance (because he just might trade him).

3. George and Medvenko are really good defensive players on top of all the other potential.

We do it because:

1. Caron Butler.!

2. Phozo comes back!!

I love it for the Hawks but it makes no sense for the other two teams and the contracts just don't match up.

There is no way we could trade Toni Kukoc and land a top 10 pick. There is no way Miami gives up on Butler a steal at 10 for a couple of L.A.'s backups. George has talent, but that would be P.R. nightmare. I also don't see why L.A. would choose Toni over George. Davis wouldn't even be a factor.

Great move for Atlanta, but no one else would bite.

First, there is need for Davis. The Lakers only have 1 PG right now.

2nd.

If this is Toni's last yr... The Lakers might be interested in losing that 8 million next yr. It would give them the MONEY to go after some more talent like ONeal...

Wouldn't that be scary.

Oneal/Oneal/Bryant/Rush/Fisher???

However, Toni is a Phil type player. Good. Versatile. Can give leadership.

I don't think George ever hit the right cord with Phil.

As far as Miami... That's another story... But I have never known Pat to start a rookie. He barely plays his second yrs.

You don't trade for Emanual Davis. He isn't worth trading for. The Lakers can get ten guys ten times better by offering the veterans minumum and a shot at a title.

As for Toni, even with his contract gone, Shaq & Kobe's cotracts would leave them very close to (if not over) the cap. They aren't getting Jermaine, or any other big name free agent, at market value without a sign and trade.

You make a good point about Butler. I think if Riley's still here next season Butler might be on the block. I see a little Mash in his game, and I remember how Mash (a solid vet.) struggled in Riley's system. Butler could be in for a rough year. I still don't think there is any way they'ed trade him now though. You and I know that Riley can't coach rookies, but he doesn't.

• Premium Member

Shaq's making about 21 million right now and his money doesn't go up by much.

Kobe is stuck with a sophomore contract that pays 9 million.

That means that aside from them, there is still 18 million to be spent before you reach the cap about about 27 million before you reach the luxury tax.

Come on...

I'm pretty sure it's more like 24 for Shaq and 12 for Kobe. And of course they both have 10 percent increases each year. That's 36 to 39 mil for just two players. They've also got Horry and Fox at about 5 each, and Fish locked down long term. That's without using any exemptions, are signing anyone past this year.

I also don't know where you're getting your cap value, but I'd be surprised if it's much over 43-45 million.

• Admin

Miami would not give up Butler. He has to much upside and I think they were so surprised to get him that they may consider him their future at SF.

George is a decent player he does not have Butler's upside. However, he might flourish in the right enviroment which may well be Miami.

Maybe a Jimmy Jackson snt might work. JJ maybe a good fit for the Lakers too. That would work out well for both teams. I think they would consider that instead of the Toni/Email offer.

• Premium Member

Kobe's definitely not at 12... Kobe's making the same money that Tmac and Hill are making. That means that Kobe's hoovering around 9.5 right now.

Also, Shaq is not making 24. He's making a little more than Juwaun Howard. Remember, Howard 117 million, Shaq 121 million. It's that same contract. Shaq is making about 21 -22 million

The cap value for this yr is 48 million if I'm not mistaken. It was 45 last yr and you have the increase due to everything the NBA brings in. I forgot the exact name of it.

The Luxury cap is always going to be about 9 million more than the Salary Cap.

Hoopshype has Shaq at $23.5 million this year and Kobe at $12.375 million this year.

It also has the Lakers total salaries at $55.5 million for this upcoming season.

Finally, I think the salary cap is actually going to be LOWER next season than it was this past season due to the change to ESPN. It will increase the following seasons and a SIGNIFICANT amount in the seasons after that but next year, the cap is going to be lower.

I think you're pretty close to right regarding when the luxury tax will kick in. I think it is expected to kick in around $54 - $55 million next season.

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/la_lakers.htm

Where are you getting these salaries from? Kobe's salary should have started at about 9.5 with around 12% increases each year. Hill & Tmac are about the same but with 10% increases. I'm getting mine from Hoopshype, like Trace said. If there's a more accurate site for getting player salaries, please tell.