• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Justin Upton

Upton just waived his no trade clause for one team..the Mariners..MLB TV was just talking about how an Upton for Taijuan Walker deal could make sense...Walker is a top pitching prospect for the Mariners and only 22 years old.

Hart is making moves folks!

• Moderators

Nothing get's fans excited more than a pitching prospect.   I've already forgotten about J Hey.   

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  Dammit

Yup..New age early 90's rendition of Glavine Maddux Smoltz :-)

My thoughts exactly. He remembers when Braves were on top and why they were there.

Francisco Cabrera baby!!!! :-)

Ps Sid Bream is still chuggin to the plate...:-/

Ayiyi, great moment but that run has long been over.  The worst way to start a new streak is by trying to recreate what worked 20 years ago.

This is a rumor we should be getting behind:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/11/padres-braves-emerging-as-yasmany-tomas-favorites.html

Braves supposedly among teams working on landing Cuban LF prospect.

Braves beat writer (I think) was on radio said that Braves aren't really going to be players, they'll do there due diligence but the Cubans cost too much money - they'll focus on the Dominican Republic players instead.

Be careful with Seattle pitching prospects. We traded for their star rookie Michael Pineda a few years back and he didn't pitch for us for over 2 years because of an injury that we didn't know about at the time. He ended up pitching very well this year early on until he got caught cheating and then got hurt but finally came back to pitch well at the end of the season. Anyway, lesson here is be careful trusting Seattle as they're not exactly up front about why they're giving up on young talented pitchers. 

Hmm.  Does he remember we couldn't get a clutch hit then either?

Maybe if you had a Jim Leyritz on your team...

Be careful with Seattle pitching prospects. We traded for their star rookie Michael Pineda a few years back and he didn't pitch for us for over 2 years because of an injury that we didn't know about at the time. He ended up pitching very well this year early on until he got caught cheating and then got hurt but finally came back to pitch well at the end of the season. Anyway, lesson here is be careful trusting Seattle as they're not exactly up front about why they're giving up on young talented pitchers.

Maybe if you had a Jim Leyritz on your team...

Damn you Leyritz...you just can't let me forget that huh @Dolfan23...:-( We would have been up 3-0...:-(

You might be right about Seattle and their pitching prospects...we might want to deal with the Reds instead. This is a lateral move but what about Justin Upton for Jay Bruce and a prospect. Bruce could replace J Hey in RF and Hart loves power hitters so it seems like it fits. I believe he's under contract for 2 or 3 more years as well...just thinkin aloud..any thoughts?

@Spud2Nique (quote system is working for me)

I would stay away from older guys like Bruce in favor of younger,  more athletic guys. The game is going back to favoring teams that can make solid contact, steal bases, and play good 'ole ABC baseball. Bruce isn't that type of guy.

Getting Tomas is exactly what the franchise needs. Clearing out Jason's and Justin's salary helps make this a reality. But, trading Justin for more pitching sounds sort of strange to me. I would think Justin should net a AAA or 1-2 year MLB position  player with high upside. 

Some other random Braves musings:

Going forward it looks like Peraza is going to be our 2nd base solution. I don't know if he'll make the jump to the majors out of Spring, but he's certainly being groomed for the starting position and batting leadoff.  

Now that Sandoval has signed with the Red Sox, I wonder what the Braves could get from the Giants for Chris Johnson? Maybe a mid-level AA or AAA prospect? I haven't really looked at the Giants roster, but maybe a good reliever would make sense as well.

@Spud2Nique (quote system is working for me)

I would stay away from older guys like Bruce in favor of younger, more athletic guys. The game is going back to favoring teams that can make solid contact, steal bases, and play good 'ole ABC baseball. Bruce isn't that type of guy.

Getting Tomas is exactly what the franchise needs. Clearing out Jason's and Justin's salary helps make this a reality. But, trading Justin for more pitching sounds sort of strange to me. I would think Justin should net a AAA or 1-2 year MLB position player with high upside.

Some other random Braves musings:

Going forward it looks like Peraza is going to be our 2nd base solution. I don't know if he'll make the jump to the majors out of Spring, but he's certainly being groomed for the starting position and batting leadoff.

Now that Sandoval has signed with the Red Sox, I wonder what the Braves could get from the Giants for Chris Johnson? Maybe a mid-level AA or AAA prospect? I haven't really looked at the Giants roster, but maybe a good reliever would make sense as well.

Totally agree with you. I'm a huuuuuge fan of small ball. I believe in contact hitting, stealing, moving the runners over and getting them in. With a stout defense. I hate power ball, it just doesn't seem to work. I just know that John Hart loves big power hitters, that's why I mentioned Bruce, who is only 28 years old and in baseball is prolly the equivalent of being 24 in basketball.

I'd love to get Tomas, I think the recent Cuban players have been fabulous. Another kid from Cuba to keep your eye on is a 3rd baseman who was compared to Yasiel Puig by the name of Johan Moncada. I think he will be coming in 2016 or so, supposed to be the real deal. It would be an amazing retool for the Braves to land both Tomas and Moncada but it's probably unlikely to get both.

Not really sure what the Giants have in their farm system, prolly another couple good players on steroids. Lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Damn you Leyritz...you just can't let me forget that huh @Dolfan23...:-( We would have been up 3-0...:-(

You might be right about Seattle and their pitching prospects...we might want to deal with the Reds instead. This is a lateral move but what about Justin Upton for Jay Bruce and a prospect. Bruce could replace J Hey in RF and Hart loves power hitters so it seems like it fits. I believe he's under contract for 2 or 3 more years as well...just thinkin aloud..any thoughts?

That is funny.  In my keeper auction baseball league, I had Upton, Heyward and Bruce all signed to long-term deals.  Bruce was probably the best value until last season.  The risk with Bruce is his batting average.  He can go very cold for a very long time and tends to do most of his damage in spurts (i.e., 4 weeks with only 1 HR and then 8 HRs in 2 weeks).