• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ray Allen-an option for the Hawks?

devilwentdown2GA

Shadow of Ray Allen? The guy made over 300 3pt shots last year and was around 38% if I recall. He's too old to be starting but the guy can still light it up from deep and he's not afraid of the clutch moments. It was only 1.5 seasons ago that he pretty much kept the Heat in the championship series that they came back to win.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Shadow of Ray Allen? The guy made over 300 3pt shots last year and was around 38% if I recall. He's too old to be starting but the guy can still light it up from deep and he's not afraid of the clutch moments. It was only 1.5 seasons ago that he pretty much kept the Heat in the championship series that they came back to win.

And whose minutes are he going to get? Allen isn't good defensively any longer and I can't see how they can justify putting him in and sitting Bazemore or even (gasp) Thabo with how well they are playing.

And whose minutes are he going to get? Allen isn't good defensively any longer and I can't see how they can justify putting him in and sitting Bazemore or even (gasp) Thabo with how well they are playing.

He'd get Mack's minutes and he wouldn't play every single game. We're going to need someone with post season championship experience come the playoffs. Someone who knows what it takes to get over the hump. And at times we can roll out Korver and Allen together and really hurt the other team. And Allen's defense isn't that bad, it's being way overblown here. I'm not saying he's a good defender but even last year at 38 he was a NET +2 in O/D Rating so his positives outweigh his negatives.

Agreed. He's a proven winner who could provide our team with some leadership if we do deep into the playoffs. That can't be overlooked. I think he's still got some in the tank. And with him not playing but a few months, he should be fresh.

I get everyone's hesitation to making any changes to this team. But if you've got a chance to make improvements, you look at your options. I'm a fan on Jenkins, but who do you want on the court in the final minutes of a close game seven?

• Like 1

I would welcome his signing even at his age.  He has the reputation of someone who keeps himself in fantastic shape so I don't think we'd have to wait long at all for him to acclimate.  If he's willing to except a 5-10 minute type of roll off the bench, give effort, and buy into the system, which I think he absolutely would, then his experience could be invaluable.  As well as the example he sets for the younger guys.

However, I believe he will ultimately prefer to play with his buddy LeBron, and there is little chance of luring him away from that opportunity.  Thankfully, although he would be a benefit, he is certainly not a need.

• Premium Member

He'd get Mack's minutes and he wouldn't play every single game. We're going to need someone with post season championship experience come the playoffs. Someone who knows what it takes to get over the hump. And at times we can roll out Korver and Allen together and really hurt the other team. And Allen's defense isn't that bad, it's being way overblown here. I'm not saying he's a good defender but even last year at 38 he was a NET +2 in O/D Rating so his positives outweigh his negatives.

...you just wanted me to say something nice about Thabo :p

• Like 1

He's never played less than 25.8 mpg, but he'd get the Brand treatment on our team. It seems unlikely he'd take that role on a team without any of his buddies. I'm not sure how much he'd bring to the table anyway. He's 39, he hasn't played in 6 months, he's not a good defender, and he's strictly a shooter. Shooters need shots, but he wouldn't get nearly as many as he's used to. 

If he's willing to sit at the end of the bench with EB and play spot minutes, then I'd probably take the chance. If not, well, who cares? 

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I'm for it. I know that Bud or whoever is playing GM will be upfront with him. If they see him playing 5-10 minutes a game with some DNP's mixed in there Ray will know. If he is good with that I am too.

As Dolf said above, we could use a guy with playoff and championship experience. I love what Baze has been giving us lately but come playoff time we might need someone who can give us a little more offense at times.

• Like 1

He can't defend anymore though. We have shooters that can score and play defense... So why add a 37 year old shooter that plays no defense?

He can't defend anymore though. We have shooters that can score and play defense... So why add a 37 year old shooter that plays no defense?

You guys are over thinking this. Those of us who are interested in signing him aren't suggesting playing him 20+ mpg. And he's not that bad defensively either.  It's crazy to think we wouldn't want a guy with this type of pedigree available off the bench for us come playoff time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26HANFrnozQ

• Like 1

While we're discussing who makes it and who doesn't, We remember that we may swap draft

picks with the Nets.  They are still in the playoff picture.  They are up for sale, I believe, and

we want them to drop into the lottery.

Detroit Pistons continue to play better, after Josh, and should make the playoffs, hopefully

replacing the Nets, then meeting and beating the Cavs in the first round.  Wouldn't that

be so sweet!

Our own JJ is coming around, finally, and will be welcome as an instant scorer off the bench.

He's not seeing a lot of action but his production in the D league shows that his health has

improved.  Also, as we fret over rebounding, don't overlook, down at the end of the bench,

two players we have that excel in this.  Payne and Moose can give us meaningful minutes

when it becomes necessary.  And, they know Bud ball!

It ain't broke yet.  But, if it does, we already have the parts to fix it!

GO ATL !!

preved.gif

• Like 1

You guys are over thinking this. Those of us who are interested in signing him aren't suggesting playing him 20+ mpg. And he's not that bad defensively either. It's crazy to think we wouldn't want a guy with this type of pedigree available off the bench for us come playoff time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26HANFrnozQ

It's not about not just wanting him. It's what is his place in the rotation and what role he's willing to accept. If he's gonna be our EB then fine which means Jenkins gets cut. It also means that he takes Mack's already limited minutes.

Yes he can hit an open 3 - clutch, but this offense and defense needs him to be much more.

These were his minutes in the finals last season: 32, 33, 28, 29 and 31.

These were his points: 16, 9, 12, 8 and 5.

At this point Mack fits what we need, has a little more versatility than Ray - he can handle the ball, run the offense, drive to the basket, hit the 3 and defend.

Can he be effective if he's playing EB type minutes?

Edited by JayBirdHawk

I'm kind of torn on this one. Having a guy with Ray's experience and using the cliche "championship pedigree" might come in handy in the playoffs. I mean he can hit open shots, all time nba leader in long distance shots made, decent defender, very clutch, and still has athletic ability as he proved with a throw down in San Antonio last finals. He is always in shape due to his conditioning and taking care of himself. Not a lockeroom problem, a pros pro.

On the other hand, I don't want to tinker with what has worked for us. Why fix something that's not broken and have it crumble on us.

I'm 65/35 on this, pro signing Allen if he wanted to come here. The positive would also be keeping him out of Cleveland and Golden State.

• Moderators

I would happily substitute Allen for Jenkins on the roster as our backcourt EB.  If he wants big minutes, he can play elsewhere.

The fact  that he has been content to sit at home so far makes me think he may be fine with this.

Edited by AHF

I don't like this ring hunting oldies. They don't want to be part of building something - they only want to collect rings which are earned by others. No loyalty.

I don't want him here.

I would gladly allow Ray Allen to collect a ring this year in Atlanta!!

I would happily substitute Allen for Jenkins on the roster as our backcourt EB. If he wants big minutes, he can play elsewhere.

The fact that he has been content to sit at home so far makes me think he may be fine with this.

Sit at home= 5 hours of working out each day for Ray