• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Do we really need ASG to sell?

HawkItus

I think at this point it is a moot point...they're selling. The irony is, we don't need a new owner to save us. Koonin Bud and Ferry are the right people, we just need someone new to come in, give them $$ to work with, and let them do their thing!

• Like 4

• Moderators

They need to go.   They've already screwed it up.  Again.   It's the ASG's fault that we're in this screwed up ownership situation.   Levenson was smart to bring in Ferry but he had to do that against the other group's will and eventually they found a way to hit the self destruct button.   

Edited by macdaddy

• Moderators

In the back of my mind I just keep hearing "the devil you know..."

If this summer hadn't happened I'd feel that way but what went down just shows that the conflict is always there.   I'd be ok with Levenson because he seems like he knew what he was doing but his email was really ignorant and offensive and showed how little he knows about Atlanta.  So long term that probably isn't good.   And I can't roll with the Atlanta group any longer.   

Still I"m pretty worried about what we will be getting.  I heard from a friend that the team has been seeking out buyers who have money to try to 'sell' the team to them.   People who have expressed no interest in the team, like the richest guy in India was one example.   Now this may be totally false or may be a sign that the interested parties so far don't have the bucks.   So disinterested owners (like Liberty Media) could be way worse.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Why, oh why start a thread like this.  The ASG deserves no mercy for the decade of idiocy that they've put on Atlanta sports.  They need to be gone ASAP.  It's like Obama for me... I'd rather put up with a different two-faced idiot than to have to spend another second with the ASG.

If this summer hadn't happened I'd feel that way but what went down just shows that the conflict is always there.   I'd be ok with Levenson because he seems like he knew what he was doing but his email was really ignorant and offensive and showed how little he knows about Atlanta.  So long term that probably isn't good.   And I can't roll with the Atlanta group any longer.   

Still I"m pretty worried about what we will be getting.  I heard from a friend that the team has been seeking out buyers who have money to try to 'sell' the team to them.   People who have expressed no interest in the team, like the richest guy in India was one example.   Now this may be totally false or may be a sign that the interested parties so far don't have the bucks.   So disinterested owners (like Liberty Media) could be way worse.

I know I want them gone as well but it worries me that we might get someone else, someone who doesn't want Ferry as the GM and that may end up costing us Bud. That would be catastrophic to us and it would be hard to continue on being a fan of the team and pouring so much time, effort and caring into a team who didn't care about us as fans. The thought of a snake like the guy from Memphis comes to mind. I would much rather have the ASG owning the team and paying the bills while letting Koonin and Ferry run things than that. 

• Like 2

I just feel like a new face or faces will want their own guys.  You don't see many new owners keep the old coach and management.   Plus if you look at it at face value the ASG would be smart to hold on to the team for at least 2 more seasons.  These valuations are growing every six months and the new TV money has not kicked in yet. 

I know I want them gone as well but it worries me that we might get someone else, someone who doesn't want Ferry as the GM and that may end up costing us Bud. That would be catastrophic to us and it would be hard to continue on being a fan of the team and pouring so much time, effort and caring into a team who didn't care about us as fans. The thought of a snake like the guy from Memphis comes to mind. I would much rather have the ASG owning the team and paying the bills while letting Koonin and Ferry run things than that.

Gearon didn't want DF either. Who wants to work for a 2 faced creep always wondering when he'll crawl out the woodwork again.

If new owners can't see what's going on with the Hawks trending waaay upward, why mess with the program. Philips will be dead again in no time.

I know the history, but I must say, forgetting this Summer the ASG has largely been out of the way.  If it meant a definite return of Ferry and the keeping of Bud and Sevie K, would you be open to the ASG staying as opposed to the unknown?

Well we can answer for fact that there won't be a definite return of Ferry under the Gearons.  And to me the question is not whether or not a new ownership will come in and F this up but rather that "the devil we know" will definitely find a way to F this up.  So it's a matter of "if" vs "when" for me, I'll take the "if".

Edited by MaceCase
  • Like 1

Gearon didn't want DF either. Who wants to work for a 2 faced creep always wondering when he'll crawl out the woodwork again.

If new owners can't see what's going on with the Hawks trending waaay upward, why mess with the program. Philips will be dead again in no time.

Yeah, and it's not about Gearon being a "fan" either. He's undoubtedly a fan of the team and wants them to do well. He's just an idiot who gets in the way of others and screws things up more than anything else.

That's a risk you run into when you have a person who had Daddy give him his money to start up a telecommunications company back during the huge boom in telecommunications infrastructure changing. Someone who feel ass-backwards into a situation and probably doesn't take a second to think about how much luck has dominated his intelligence or business acumen than he would like to give credit to.

He may not want him but he can't stop it on his own even resorting to what he resorted to.

• Moderators

He may not want him but he can't stop it on his own even resorting to what he resorted to.

That isn't clear. Levenson is out and Gearon is the owner with the most power right now. That is a terrible situation for Ferry and for the Hawks. We need a sale.

• Premium Member

That isn't clear. Levenson is out and Gearon is the owner with the most power right now. That is a terrible situation for Ferry and for the Hawks. We need a sale.

FWIW, CViv holds Q and A sessions on the AJC once every few weeks. In one of those sessions, when asked about the validity of his report of 100% of the team being up for sale, he did say there was a small chance that Gearon Jr. could retain a percentage of ownership, but it would only be something like 1 percent. I don't get the sense that serious candidates to buy the franchise are interested in partnering with any segments of the ASG.