• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Breaking News: Adreian Payne traded to T-Wolves for 2017 1st (lottery proteected 2017-2020)

Admin

• Premium Member

Knowing that a pick later Bosnian Bear Jusuf Nurkic (7 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 1.3 bpg) was drafted makes it difficult to stomach this trade.

But recognizing just how many lesser players were in that pool with Nurkic @ 15 gives me some reassurance that it's still a crap shoot. What's more, there's something to be said for any player having opportunity to get minutes... and on this ATL roster, there just didn't/doesn't seem to be much of that available.

But recognizing just how many lesser players were in that pool with Nurkic @ 15 gives me some reassurance that it's still a crap shoot. What's more, there's something to be said for any player having opportunity to get minutes... and on this ATL roster, there just didn't/doesn't seem to be much of that available.

Yeah draft is a crap shoot so I am not really mad at Ferry.  It is just a shame, Nurkic would be a great fit here.

It's really not that hard to understand. As Hawksfanatic already said, you're trading an assett that is not currently being used because of better depth in front of him, for a future assett when it will be more needed. All while not having to pay that assett a salary and constrain you from doing other moves.

Guess we need to look at Coach Bud's words again:

“We’ve gained a lot in this,” Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer said. “We gained roster flexibility. We gained financial flexibility. We gained a first-round pick. We are better managing opportunities for our young bigs to emerge and be successful.”

“No,” Budenholzer said “This deal and this opportunity was done based on its own merits. There is nothing imminent. There is nothing else that you should be expecting or waiting on.”

The trade was apparently in the works for some time. Minnesota coach Flip Saunders told reporters that he has had several conversations about Payne with Michigan State coach Tom Izzo recently.

The move is a clear indication that the Hawks believe in the high upside of their young frontcourt players, including Mike Muscala and eventually second-round pick Edy Tavares. Tavares is playing in Spain and could be ready for the NBA as soon as next season.

“The reality (of the trade is) the depth of our bigs and having multiple young bigs that we feel strongly about and managing how those young bigs can have opportunities and emerge,” Budenholzer said. “In combination with what we feel like we’ve gained in roster and financial flexibility made this something that made sense for us on a lot of different levels.

“Hopefully it’s something that is good for Adreian. It’s a win-win. Adreian will get more opportunity and Adreian’s career will have more opportunity to grow and emerge. He is a very good player. He is a very good kid.”

Again receiving that future asset is highly unlikely based on their history. How's anyone not getting that?

Even at worst, it's two 2nd round picks. I'm not the biggest Mike Scott fan, but are you telling me he's essentially useless? And there would be two picks. Again, 2 years of Payne riding our bench and collecting a check for probably never playing vs either a future 1st or two 2nds? It's a no brainer to me. I think some are just having a hard time getting over the fact we didn't hit on that pick in the first place. It happens. Now we have to focus on recouping some value while we still can.

Even at worst, it's two 2nd round picks. I'm not the biggest Mike Scott fan, but are you telling me he's essentially useless? And there would be two picks. Again, 2 years of Payne riding our bench and collecting a check for probably never playing vs either a future 1st or two 2nds? It's a no brainer to me. I think some are just having a hard time getting over the fact we didn't hit on that pick in the first place. It happens. Now we have to focus on recouping some value while we still can.

I don't see why he'd have to ride our bench for 2 years when we do n' know what will happen with Millsap and Brand is likely to retire and who knows with Pero.

A second round pick in 6 years and another a year later. Not exactly gonna get thrilled by that.

And I am confident that Payne will be far better player THIS year than people think. I'd be willing to bet those 2nd round pics won't even come close to that.

It's really not that hard to understand. As Hawksfanatic already said, you're trading an assett that is not currently being used because of better depth in front of him, for a future assett when it will be more needed. All while not having to pay that assett a salary and constrain you from doing other moves.

Guess we need to look at Coach Bud's words again:

Agree completely.  This is a solid move.  Championship level teams do this all the time.  We create a roster spot, add something of value for the future, and sign a playoff ready vet.  

The pick from Minn can be used as a trading chip for us in future deals, and if Payne is so great surely the Wolves will make the playoffs in 5 years with Wiggins, Rubio, etc.  Don't understand the doom and gloom.  Promise we will be happy when our bench gets deeper.

I don't see why he'd have to ride our bench for 2 years when we do n' know what will happen with Millsap and Brand is likely to retire and who knows with Pero.

A second round pick in 6 years and another a year later. Not exactly gonna get thrilled by that.

And I am confident that Payne will be far better player THIS year than people think. I'd be willing to bet those 2nd round pics won't even come close to that.

I'm not sure how you're able to predict the Wolves' playoff prospects for the next half decade with such clarity based on their past yet Payne's present role on this team has little bearing on his future. Fact is that no matter how well you think he is THIS year he would never realize it on THIS team.

Initially when I heard that in 2021 the pick became two 2nd rounders as opposed to an unprotected first, I was with Dolfan on this and wondering wtf.

Upon thinking though, lots can happen in 4+ seasons even in the talented West with contracts up and players moving around.  Heck, by 2019, the East could be the new West.

I'm thinking Bud/Ferry/MGMT are pretty confident the Wolves will make the playoffs by 2020 and probably sooner.  And with their young core, plus Payne, plus another top 5 pick this season, why the heck shouldn't they?  Do we not trust our front office by this point?  Read what hawksfanatic said below much more eloquently than I ever could...I'm down with the move.  This is very Belichick-esque.  We are building a monster of a franchise I think.   So smart.  Ensuring optimal assets and flexibility in the future with a championship caliber team in in the present.

This *could* mean a larger move, but it's so obviously a good move for the Hawks that they'd be f***ing stupid not to have done this move.

You keep hold of rookies because they produce at a high rate for a cheap contract. Holding on to Adreian Payne at his current production level is stupid. You aren't using him! And if you aren't using him right now, well you might as well try to use the equivalent of him later because a rookie is like a carton of milk. They expire. The Hawks are taking their milk today and trading it to the Timberwolves for milk tomorrow because we've got too much milk as is. So why let it spoil?

I'm really trying to stay away from this right now because it is sooooooooo frustrating to see the "analysis" out there right now. It's so bad because people do not seem to understand the big picture, BUT THEY THINK THEY DO! That might be the most dangerous individual out there. Lots of parallels with this an vaccines if I say so myself.

I'm not sure how you're able to predict the Wolves' playoff prospects for the next half decade with such clarity based on their past yet Payne's present role on this team has little bearing on his future. Fact is that no matter how well you think he is THIS year he would never realize it on THIS team.

You don't? It's been what 10 years since they were in the playoffs? It's been since this year that a 2nd year mid-1st round draft pick made a big leap to valuable starter for us.

Funny you can claim I have no ability to see the future yet your reply says he would never realize his potential for this team.

No chance millsap walks? No chance Pero gets hurt? No chance Al tears another pec?

He may well have gotten a chance, but I'm giving bud the BOTD. He didnt see much from Payne in practice

I guess I'm one of those who don't "get it" then.

The Hawks took a fresh $20 bill and gave it to the Wolves with the hope being in 2-6 years we will get a $20 bill back. But that's dependent on them doing something they haven't done since KG was young right? And barring that miracle we'll get back a couple of $2 bills!

So yeah I get trading Payne because they no longer believe in him but for f's sake make a trade for a future 1st that you're likely to get back.

It's not $20, it's a carton of milk. Rookies are valuable because they are underpaid. Once a rookie contact is up, then you pay market value for them and you've lost your edge. So the Hawks are kicking the can.

You know what, maybe Payne does become a really good player in 2018. And if that happens, then guess what? The Hawks can sign him because he will be a free agent then.

It's not $20, it's a carton of milk. Rookies are valuable because they are underpaid. Once a rookie contact is up, then you pay market value for them and you've lost your edge. So the Hawks are kicking the can.

You know what, maybe Payne does become a really good player in 2018. And if that happens, then guess what? The Hawks can sign him because he will be a free agent then.

Doesn't matter what you call it, there's almost no chance we gain the same value back. Hell we aren't even getting any interest in this milk money we have a tiny chance of getting back.

I'm going to laugh when all of you praising the Hawks for this move look silly when Payne becomes a good player in the next year and in 2021 we finally get a 2nd round pick for him.

Well, if history is any indicator, then the TWolves are due to reach the postseason within the next few years. At tens years out, there are only two other teams in the NBA's History with longer droughts, the Dubs at 12 and the Clips at 15. I'm willing to bet they don't set a new record in futility. just consider it a law of averages kind of thing.

• Like 1

Again receiving that future asset is highly unlikely based on their history. How's anyone not getting that?

2015-16

2016-17

2017-18

2018-19

2019-20

With Andrew Wiggins, LaVine, Rubio, Bazz, Payne and Dieng...they have to make the playoffs.

And yeah, we are, starting next season, officially Timberwolves fans until we get a pick from them.

So...

1) Continue to root like hell for the Nets to lose THIS SEASON.

2) Root like hell for the TWolves to lose THIS SEASON (best chance for #1 pick/franchise changer) and win starting NEXT SEASON.

3) Enjoy the ride Coach Bud and our squad is taking us on.

Got it.