• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Something strange about NBA scheduling of Hawks playoff games.

atlhawks1

Alright. I already know the Hawks are not one of the teams they like to market and want to go to the nba finals, and this scheduling of their playoff games bolsters my thinking on it. TNT even opens its pregame montages with the Wizards FIRST. You would think a number one seed that won sixty games would get the promo first.

Next, game one against the Wizards was played the day after the Hawks were extended in the Nets series. Washington was well rested and there are many who felt this gave them a advantage in the second half of that game. Next,  John Wall injures his hand and is questionable for games 2 and 3. Game 2 is already scheduled, so there was nothing to do but keep Wall out of that game. Now, game 3 is being played saturday, a full FOUR days later!!

Is the NBA trying to help the Wizards by giving Wall extra days off??? I know, people may think all this is a reach, but how is it that the Cavaliers series, AND the Clippers Series, will BOTH have played TWO games between the time the Hawks and Wizards tip off game 3, when the Hawks series started BEFORE both those series???

Something dont smell right and its coming from the league office which is hoping that they have a Cleveland/Washington or Chicago/Washington conference finals.

• Like 4

The scheduling does seem a bit crazy when you think about the advantages Washington has and the number #1 seed being treated like an 8th seed. Their was a consensus around the league about the top seeds getting screwed on scheduling and not being able to get adequate rest. As the NBA front office, you have to respect the daily hard work that these teams put in to win 60+ games. Adam Silver has to do a better job congratulating and thanking these teams in the playoff scheduling.

• Like 3

Well I agree with your sentiment but i'm pretty sure the series schedule was set before game 1 right?  So the extra days were already there before Wall got injured.   

The scheduling is way screwy.  The cavs and bulls should have played sunday and the hawks on monday and wednesday.   Hell I think they even had to move the Bette Midler concert at philips that was scheduled for tuesday.   So something was sure fishy about that first game.  Until someone proves me wrong i'm going to say that was the shortest turnaround time from one series to the next i've ever seen and it included the #1 seed having to travel during the 30 hours.   That's what you call short shrift by the nba.

I went and checked and you are correct, they scheduled this before Wall got hurt. Still, it doesnt seem right,

• Moderators

I went and checked and you are correct, they scheduled this before Wall got hurt. Still, it doesnt seem right,

Yeah.  I actually hope that it helps Teague, Millsap, Scott, and Horford out as much Wall though.   And I figure the more film time Bud has the better we are.

• Like 1

Well considering our 1st round series was still being played while every East team was done and waiting they set the second round schedule in advance to include the possibility of our series going 7 against BKN and so as to not dely even further our 2nd round. For example had we gone to a game 7 it would have been played Sunday instead of game 1, and Game 1 wouldve been tuesday instead of game 2. And during this break we would have played game 2 today and then caught back up with game 3 saturday like it is now. So it was a built in contingency.

If you also notice, GS and Memphis have the same 3 day break. Each series 1v5 and 2v3 in both the east and west mirror each others game days through Saturday and maybe even after that

• Like 2

I can see where folks are coming from here. The $64,000 question of the week is a simple one though; if the Cavs or Bulls were the top seed who was extended to a Game 6 in the first round, would they have just 36 hours to prep before facing their next opponent? The Bulls eliminated Milwaukee the day before in a Game 6 and got the entire weekend off; they didn't have to play again until Monday. Call me a conspiracy theorist but I find it hard to believe that they or the Cavs would've been playing early Sunday afternoon if they were the 60-win team. And forgive me editing this post but didn't I just read that if this series went seven games that the same thing would happen yet again????!!!! Are you shitting me?! That's pretty effed up on the NBA's part. But no, the TV folks would love to see the Hawks instead of the Bulls or Cavs in the Finals, right? RIGHT??????

I might be wrong but I can't find another top seed in recent memory given less time than the Hawks were before facing the Whiz. Even Indy was given more than 48 hours after beating the Hawks in seven games last year; so were the Celtics back in 2008.

Oh well, we can complain until the cows come home but no one will take us seriously because we (surprise!!!) aren't the Cavs, Bulls, Rockets, or Warriors. ESPN would be running a 30-for-30 special on it right now if the Lebrons had to deal with it but since it's the team they really want nothing to do with, we'll be called a bunch of whiners. It's just another obstacle to overcome; this particular obstacle need to take a number behind Teague's ankle, Thabo's injury, Danny Ferry, Gearon being allowed to stay...

Edited by Dejay
  • Like 4

I agree and this is nothing new unfortunately. But, we can't use it as a crutch. We need to go out there and take care of business. The fact that we got a single game without Wall is already a crutch enough. This is the playoffs, nothing will be given to us. Lets go get it!

• Like 3

I agree, Ruckus. As we all know, there will be absolutely nothing given to our team; not from the league offices and certainly not from the schedule makers. As Chuck Smith famously stated after the Falcons won the NFC title in '98, they're not going to earn respect; they'll have to take respect...

• Like 3

Chicago went from Thursday round 1 to Monday round 2, so they got that break

But now they are every other day all series

We went every other day for first 2 games after round 1 but get our 3 days off now before game 3

This was set before we even beat the nets (Sunday 1pm was set to be g7 or g1 depending on outcome of g6)

I'd say Hawks had no problem playing the 1st game vs Wiz that early because so they could promote and sell tickets for the sunday game before game 6 vs the Nets.

And the break now is good for our injury nursing players (Al, Paul, Jeff and maybe also Dennis)

• Like 1

I think we can all agree the scheduling is screwy but we (nor the Hawks) should use it as an excuse.

I actually agree that this longer rest does more for us than the Wiz:  Horf's finger, Teague's ankle, and Millsap's shoulder get a rest.  If anything we have greater reason to come out gunning for Game 3 and keep the Wiz on their heels.

• Moderators

Really the only thing that pisses me off is that we are the #1 seed, yet both series so far has been treated like a 4/5 matchup. The #1 seed SHOULD NOT BE PLAYING AT 1 PM. Also, the #1 seed demands better commentators than Ian Eagle and Brent Barry. Where is Kevin Harlan or Marv Albert when the Hawks are playing? Commentating Rockets/Clippers? Blasphemy!

• Like 1

Alright. I already know the Hawks are not one of the teams they like to market and want to go to the nba finals, and this scheduling of their playoff games bolsters my thinking on it. TNT even opens its pregame montages with the Wizards FIRST. You would think a number one seed that won sixty games would get the promo first.

Next, game one against the Wizards was played the day after the Hawks were extended in the Nets series. Washington was well rested and there are many who felt this gave them a advantage in the second half of that game. Next,  John Wall injures his hand and is questionable for games 2 and 3. Game 2 is already scheduled, so there was nothing to do but keep Wall out of that game. Now, game 3 is being played saturday, a full FOUR days later!!

Is the NBA trying to help the Wizards by giving Wall extra days off??? I know, people may think all this is a reach, but how is it that the Cavaliers series, AND the Clippers Series, will BOTH have played TWO games between the time the Hawks and Wizards tip off game 3, when the Hawks series started BEFORE both those series???

Something dont smell right and its coming from the league office which is hoping that they have a Cleveland/Washington or Chicago/Washington conference finals.

This is a reach.

I personally don't mind the delay between game 2 and 3.  The Hawks needed some time to rest.  It can only help.

• Moderators

Really the only thing that pisses me off is that we are the #1 seed, yet both series so far has been treated like a 4/5 matchup. The #1 seed SHOULD NOT BE PLAYING AT 1 PM. Also, the #1 seed demands better commentators than Ian Eagle and Brent Barry. Where is Kevin Harlan or Marv Albert when the Hawks are playing? Commentating Rockets/Clippers? Blasphemy!

Man I agree.  I couldn't even figure out who it was.  Although better Brent than Jon.   I want Hubie to do all the hawks games.  He's good luck for us.

• Like 1

Game 1 against Washington or Game 7 against Brooklyn were both scheduled for Sunday at 1:00 in Atlanta, at Phillips Arena.

Its the penalty the Hawks pay for taking 6 games Brooklyn and its the bonus Washington gets for sweeping their series.

I actually would prefer brent barry and the oteher guy over any national tv commentator other than hubie brown-- who is quite possibly the best basketball mind calling games, so I always enjoy his take

the scheduling does seems "wacky" but it is like that for the warriors as well...it is the tip times that seem the most disrespectful

• Moderators

And ESPN did give us Tirico, so that's something... And what the hell was up with the Brooklyn love from Fratello in the last series?  I know you are supposed to be unbiased, Mike, but come on!  Double blasphemy!

I would take any big time commentator besides that air-headed, whiny little child named Jeff Van Gundy. True basketball fans don't give a flying hoot about being entertained and seeing stars, JVG. All I care about is my Hawks and occasionally the Pistons. I'd rather watch an X's and O's match between SAS and ATL than to watch Curry going off for 40.