• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

John Wall throwing up Gang signs

Brotha2ThaNite

I was thinking you were thinking of MJ's dad, but I'm not sure his murderers were gangsters. Then I was thinking you meant CP3's grandfather, but he was beaten to death with pipes in a robbery. (A belated, "get it together, North Carolina, seriously!" to the Tar Heel State)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6436820

Wall's pop (as per Wiki) had done time for murder and convenience store robbery. He passed from liver cancer about a month after his release from prison, just before Wall turned 9 years of age.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/24/sports/basketball/24wall.html

~lw3

OK. Sad stories and sad story on Wall as well. So the apple didnt fall far from the tree then. At least its not as bad as I thought.

The irony is the perception of the NBA as thug league was never really warranted. I think of all the major sports leagues the NBA probably has the least arrests. To David Stern ' s credit he understood perception is often reality in people's minds, so he worked to change that misguided perception.

• Like 1

We're just some hardcore muhhfuggaass up in the Old North State.

First In Flight and First to Fight!

Man, I got outta there just in time.  

I don't think wall is a bad guy. Sounds like some of y'all just wanna hate. Nothing wrong with it obv

Why is it that any time some disagrees with anything another person does it's "hating"?

• Moderators

OK. Sad stories and sad story on Wall as well. So the apple didnt fall far from the tree then. At least its not as bad as I thought.

Yikes.  Come on now.  Wall's dad was a thief and murderer.  Wall had top grades when he enrolled in summer school at UK and A's and B's in the fall (don't know what he did in the spring).  He's not had any trouble in college or the NBA.  

I would not equate them at all.

Yikes.  Come on now.  Wall's dad was a thief and murderer.  Wall had top grades when he enrolled in summer school at UK and A's and B's in the fall (don't know what he did in the spring).  He's not had any trouble in college or the NBA.  

I would not equate them at all.

Im not equating them ffs. But apparently he's still in touch with the gang-culture his murderer dead father also was a part of, if not the same gang. That itself is telling to me when you are someone who did so well proffesionally, but can not distance yourself from something that should cause reflection or even shame, instead of treating it as a cool thing to do.

Apparently if it wasnt for basketball, he would be f***ed and in the process of f***ing others up. Dont come with the grades of college-athletes as if he would take a student-loan and become an accountant.

• Moderators

Im not equating them ffs. But apparently he's still in touch with the gang-culture his murderer dead father also was a part of, if not the same gang. That itself is telling to me when you are someone who did so well proffesionally, but can not distance yourself from something that should cause reflection or even shame, instead of treating it as a cool thing to do.

Apparently if it wasnt for basketball, he would be f***ed and in the process of f***ing others up. Dont come with the grades of college-athletes as if he would take a student-loan and become an accountant.

Exactly.  I feel the same way about people like this:

screen-shot-2013-06-03-at-6-47-32-pm.png

• Moderators

LOL

Wall is no saint and his maturity on the court was an issue coming out of college but wasn't a red flag off it.  I am 100% positive he is in large part of the bell curve on behavior in the NBA - which is to say nobody is going to hold a parade to celebrate his virtue.  

However, saying "like father like son" isn't close to accurate either.  His father was an actual murderer.  There is no reason to associate him with that.

• Like 1

There is no need to jump from one extreme to the other in this case. John Wall isn't a saint and it's well documented what his father did, however John hasn't shown himself to be a man who likes to party and may have questionable associates. Throwing gang signs on tv isn't enough to start labeling him a thug or assuming he's an actual gang member; it's just not the right image to be showing to the next generation that looks up to players like him. He may be fined, but it didn't blow up as much as I thought it would.