• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Have Hawks Really Turned The Corner?

Batkins

As we watch the Hawks' season come to a disappointing end tonight, we'll hear the usual cliches that losing teams always make: "It's been a good year", "Nobody expected us to make it this far", "wait 'til next year"...and so on. Yes, the Hawks had an excellent first half of the regular season, including a 19-game winning streak that left us all amazed and wondering, "Could it be? Could we really, for the first time in 45 years, have an NBA franchise capable of winning it all?" I must admit, I got hooked for awhile myself...a 40-8 record will do that to you. But then February came, and from that time to now this team has played basically .500 basketball. They hung on to get the #1 seed in the East, but their play remained inconsistent and the lack of a "go to" player continued to stand out. They could've easily lost to both the Nets and the Wizards, and now they're about to be swept away by the Cavs.

That begs the question: has this franchise really turned the corner, or was this just a "flash in the pan" season that won't be seen again for several years? I think we all know the answer...this isn't the Spurs or a team like them that has the organization, commitment, and talent to compete for a championship every year. No, this is a collection of good, not great, players who found something for awhile. The playoffs have shown its weaknesses and limitations, and that's not likely to change. We should get ready for 40-45 wins the next couple of years, followed by another "rebuild" scenario and the process will start again. I really wish this wasn't the case, but past history says otherwise. So as we watch Lebron and company celebrate tonight, let's don't get carried away with the "we'll get them next year" chants...this is Atlanta, after all, and that "losing fog" just never seems to lift.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I fully expect this team to contend next year. Got cap room to keep our players possibly , or add some more, great chemistry, 15th pick despite 2nd most wins in league.

As we watch the Hawks' season come to a disappointing end tonight, we'll hear the usual cliches that losing teams always make: "It's been a good year", "Nobody expected us to make it this far", "wait 'til next year"...and so on. Yes, the Hawks had an excellent first half of the regular season, including a 19-game winning streak that left us all amazed and wondering, "Could it be? Could we really, for the first time in 45 years, have an NBA franchise capable of winning it all?" I must admit, I got hooked for awhile myself...a 40-8 record will do that to you. But then February came, and from that time to now this team has played basically .500 basketball. They hung on to get the #1 seed in the East, but their play remained inconsistent and the lack of a "go to" player continued to stand out. They could've easily lost to both the Nets and the Wizards, and now they're about to be swept away by the Cavs.

That begs the question: has this franchise really turned the corner, or was this just a "flash in the pan" season that won't be seen again for several years? I think we all know the answer...this isn't the Spurs or a team like them that has the organization, commitment, and talent to compete for a championship every year. No, this is a collection of good, not great, players who found something for awhile. The playoffs have shown its weaknesses and limitations, and that's not likely to change. We should get ready for 40-45 wins the next couple of years, followed by another "rebuild" scenario and the process will start again. I really wish this wasn't the case, but past history says otherwise. So as we watch Lebron and company celebrate tonight, let's don't get carried away with the "we'll get them next year" chants...this is Atlanta, after all, and that "losing fog" just never seems to lift.

We'll win 50+ games. 

Believe me, I genuinely and fervently hope you all are right...but the Hawks have been here before...most notably the year the Celts beat us in game 7...supposedly a team set to contend for several years to come...and then down the perverbial hole. This playoff performance hasn't done much to promote confidence. I do think you're dreaming if we can bring this same group back, play the same style, and expect to contend. We need at least a true big man who can score, a wing defender, and an improved bench.

• Admin

We have absolutely turned teh corner ... we have enjoyed a great deal of success, we have a phenomenal coach, a great system, new owners, a stable organization.  

Its just this finals is real leaving a bad taste.  Once we get a chance to decompress and really look at what we did this year it has been a success.  

• Like 1

Believe me, I genuinely and fervently hope you all are right...but the Hawks have been here before...most notably the year the Celts beat us in game 7...supposedly a team set to contend for several years to come...and then down the perverbial hole. This playoff performance hasn't done much to promote confidence. I do think you're dreaming if we can bring this same group back, play the same style, and expect to contend. We need at least a true big man who can score, a wing defender, and an improved bench.

The hawks haven't been HERE before. Who thought that team would be contending when they got blown out in EVERY road game. Certainly not me.

What did the Hawks do to be so hated by everybody? Since when has a 60 win team been so disrespected? Now all of the sudden, they're going to go back to sucking? Have you not been paying attention? Welcome to Hawksquawk, but trust me on this, the Hawks will be fine.

The stability of the franchise is the strongest it's been in decades, maybe ever. That ultimately is what draws talent and keeps teams contending. We have new ownership after having the worst owners in the league for the last decade. Koonin has done a remarkable job marketing the team. Budenholzer is a great coach, and the league sees that. Optics matter. That Hawks team from 2008 was poorly constructed and coached by Mike Woodson. Woodson was the coach long after it was obvious he didn't know what he was doing. That's a sign to everyone that an organization doesn't know what they're doing. This organization knows what they're doing now. They just got hit with the injury bug at the worst possible time and are getting beat by the best basketball player on the planet.

This summer is pivotal......

In the past we have doubled down on successful cores and found ourselves stuck.  We can't do that this time.  Keep some of them, but not all of them.  If we keep that mentality then we indeed have turned a corner.  If we double down I say it is the same old Hawks. 

• Like 1

It was a flash in the pan. The league caught on and teams began to take them seriously. It was a great half of a season of basketball, but the honeymoon is over. The Hawks were relevant for a few months and that's it. Nobody respects or fears playing this team and why should they? The east is getting better and soon enough the Hawks will be fighting for a playoff spot. Maybe not next season, but in 2017 normalcy will have returned and so will have the real Atlanta Hawks.

Hate to say it, but I agree Alex. Everybody's talking about the Hawks folding...I don't think it's as much as the fact that in the last 3 months people have figured out what they do and are having no trouble either defending them or scoring against them. I'm really afraid they're going to keep the core of this team together for a few more years, like they did with Johnson, Smith, and Pachulia, and by the time somebody wakes up, we'll be back to cellar dwellars.

It was a flash in the pan. The league caught on and teams began to take them seriously. It was a great half of a season of basketball, but the honeymoon is over. The Hawks were relevant for a few months and that's it. Nobody respects or fears playing this team and why should they? The east is getting better and soon enough the Hawks will be fighting for a playoff spot. Maybe not next season, but in 2017 normalcy will have returned and so will have the real Atlanta Hawks.

Last off season I heard the same thing, at the start. If the season same thing, the east will be better. All other team will improve and make changes ALL except of course the Hawks. Smh.

The East is still the East. Who's getting better? Washington, maybe. Indiana gets George back, but there's not much left on that team after him. I'll believe Milwaukee is making a leap when I see it. Other than that it's a top heavy conference and there's no reason the Hawks can't stay at the top of it if they keep making smart decisions.