One of these 4 players should be available when we pick

Blunt91

• Premium Member

I agree re. drafting freshmen.  If they weren't transcendent (relatively speaking) in their 1 year, I can't justify taking them for the whole 'potential' thing.

On Dekker, how often did you see him play?  I think everything you said was true for him during that tourney run but I've read that effort wasn't there in prior years at Wisky.  Unfortunately, I didn't pay any attention to him so I have no idea which is true.  Did you find him to be active, engaged when you saw him play?

Lastly, there is a Justin Anderson thread somewhere around here.  If we take a wing, I like him more than the other candidates.

I see where some have seen a whole lot more of Dekker than I have, and don't have a high opinion. Indeed, my opinion about him has been almost entirely constructed from what I saw in post-season this spring. That's reason for caution, but then again, there is also reason I think to give more weight to how players perform when they're facing the highest caliber competition. That, in combination with what I think we all see when we watch the Draft Express videos gives me a comfort level with my conclusions... which, again, though, no one's asked me to quit my job yet and do scouting for little league, let alone NBA, so my conclusions and $3 will get you a coffee at Starbucks, right? (... dang, we used to say "50 cents," didn't we?)

And yeah, I eventually saw the Anderson thread after all. Sounds like a lot of us are on the same page.

Of course, consensus feels a little dangerous..It often seems like, come draft day, when there's fan consensus, the GM has reached some other decision. Accordingly, I look for us to take a freshman point guard from a D2 school... international player, of course.

• Moderators

Drafting guys based on peaking in the tournament is not a good practice. That is my reluctance with Dekker. He didn't shoot as well for his career as he did in the tourney and doesn't look like an impact defender. That screams mediocre to me.

• Like 1

I see where some have seen a whole lot more of Dekker than I have, and don't have a high opinion. Indeed, my opinion about him has been almost entirely constructed from what I saw in post-season this spring. That's reason for caution, but then again, there is also reason I think to give more weight to how players perform when they're facing the highest caliber competition. That, in combination with what I think we all see when we watch the Draft Express videos gives me a comfort level with my conclusions... which, again, though, no one's asked me to quit my job yet and do scouting for little league, let alone NBA, so my conclusions and $3 will get you a coffee at Starbucks, right? (... dang, we used to say "50 cents," didn't we?)

And yeah, I eventually saw the Anderson thread after all. Sounds like a lot of us are on the same page.

Of course, consensus feels a little dangerous..It often seems like, come draft day, when there's fan consensus, the GM has reached some other decision. Accordingly, I look for us to take a freshman point guard from a D2 school... international player, of course.

IIUC, the tourney setting can produce a lot of fool's gold both in terms of coaches and players.  There's something to be said for guys who "show up" biggest when the lights are brightest.

But could it be that they do better when the other team has less time to scout them?  Are they more apt to perform with an abbreviated game plan or STTE?  That's why IMHO it should be a factor but not the factor in drafting a guy.  History has shown us again and again that the NBA should be wary of guys who show things in the tourney that they haven't shown on a regular basis.

Oh and yeah, all our consensus means the Hawks will be drafting a draft 'n stash foreigner no one ever heard of or some NAIA point guard.

• Premium Member

Drafting guys based on peaking in the tournament is not a good practice. That is my reluctance with Dekker. He didn't shoot as well for his career as he did in the tourney and doesn't look like an impact defender. That screams mediocre to me.

You're making me remember my excitement at picking Jack Givens back-when... and how that didn't go so well.

But I hasten to add that my interest in Dekker has more to do with the whole of his game and how he seemed to have a knack for making plays... scoring, yes, but not just scoring... at key moments against high-level competition. As stated, I don't view him as my favorite, because I don't view him as having as high a ceiling as others, but I also think at #15 you can get that kind of player and have reason for confidence that you've at minimum landed a guy who will become a staple of your rotation soon enough, and at maximum, a guy who fills so many places in the scoresheet that he develops himself into a solid starter for years at SF.

• Moderators

You're making me remember my excitement at picking Jack Givens back-when... and how that didn't go so well.

But I hasten to add that my interest in Dekker has more to do with the whole of his game and how he seemed to have a knack for making plays... scoring, yes, but not just scoring... at key moments against high-level competition. As stated, I don't view him as my favorite, because I don't view him as having as high a ceiling as others, but I also think at #15 you can get that kind of player and have reason for confidence that you've at minimum landed a guy who will become a staple of your rotation soon enough, and at maximum, a guy who fills so many places in the scoresheet that he develops himself into a solid starter for years at SF.

If we draft him, that will certainly be my hope!

It's all fringe players at 15 and beyond. Nobody to get excited about and nobody really separates themselves from the logjam of marginal players who the Hawks will draft. Everyone says this is such an important pick, but the reality is that player probably will never be any good.

You never know. There have been lots of guys who have turned out to be great players take at #15.

Khawi Leonard, Nash, Larry Sanders, Al Jefferson... Not saying we will select someone of that caliber, but you never know.

http://www.mynbadraft.com/nba-draft-picks/15th-overall/150509/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rashad Vaughn out of UNLV is a prospect I'm much higher on than some of these other players that will be available. He brings athleticism and scoring to the table which Atlanta needs more of. He's also the second youngest guy in the draft behind Booker.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

If we draft him, that will certainly be my hope!

Was just looking at Dekker's career numbers. I'm encouraged by seeing the 39% 3-pt pct in his freshman year. That suggests that it's not like he's incapable.

• Premium Member

Rashad Vaughn out of UNLV is a prospect I'm much higher on than some of these other players that will be available. He brings athleticism and scoring to the table which Atlanta needs more of. He's also the second youngest guy in the draft behind Booker.

Agreed. He can flat out score the ball in addition to being a good shooter. I still think the Hawks need that added dimension of a true scorer on the team to help when the offense breaks down. I like Vaughn a lot in this draft. I'm starting to think the Hawks may need to trade for or buy another pick late in the 1st Round to really get good value out of this draft. That way they could get Bobby Portis or Myles Turner AND either Justin Anderson, Hollis-Jefferson, or Vaughn. That would be a killer draft.

Man after checking out vaughn's prospect vid I'm liking him more and more.  I'm surprised he's rated so low.  I wonder if we can somehow pick-swap with CHI and pick up Gibson to bolster our frontcourt and use CHI's pick to get Vaughn.

Anyway, if we end up picking Portis at least it'll give me the opportunity to use this as my avatar ...

15-atlanta-hawks--bobby-portis-f.jpg

That goes in his 'strengths' column, right?