• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

One of these 4 players should be available when we pick

Blunt91

I have been looking at NBAdraft.net & Draftexpress over the  past 1 1/2 months.  The common theme that I have found is that the following 4 players  Kelly Oubre, Frank Kaminsky, Devin Booker, and Sam Dekker are always somwhere around where we pick, be it at 15 or 3 or 5 spots higher.  NBAdraft's latest update Mock draft has Kaminsky at 15 and to my surprise Oubre has fallen to the 17th spot.  His stock could be fallen, I haven't read anything about how well or not well he has been doing in workouts.  I have read that Dekker and Kaminsky did well in one on one drills earlier this week so their stocks could be rising.  Devin Booker is now 10 on one mock draft and the other still holding at 13.

If the draft holds true to the form the Mocks are projecting we will not move up to obtain anyone.  For Instance if Kaminsky is thought to be available at 15 and Booker could go at 12 we won't trade up for Booker because his talent is not much better(if at all) than Frank's.  Someone mentioned in trading away or future pic from the T'Wolves, but the pick from Minny has alot of stipulations surrounding it so it does not hold much value IMO.  

The Bottom line is  there will be a good player available at the 15th position, it very well could be one of the 4 guys mentioned above , however it does not mean we will pick one of them.  It seems the players we like will be available it is just up to Management to make the right decision.

Stay away from the Wisconsin boys. We don't need anymore undersized muscala like bigs. Maybe a legit defensive 7 footer but we got that in Edy.

We need a wing. This wing must be a pure shooter or extremely athletic. booker, oubre, and rj hunter fit the bill. Dekker is a streaky shooter and his ceiling is a decent role player, dont let that tournament run fool you.

Stay away from the Wisconsin boys. We don't need anymore undersized muscala like bigs. Maybe a legit defensive 7 footer but we got that in Edy.

We need a wing. This wing must be a pure shooter or extremely athletic. booker, oubre, and rj hunter fit the bill. Dekker is a streaky shooter and his ceiling is a decent role player, dont let that tournament run fool you.

I've been saying all along that Dekker has the size, skills, etc. we need but, something's missing.  Folks have said he's been injured but I still don't know.  He's been on the radar as a potential star since HS but here we are 3 years later and all he's really got to show for it, in terms of actual production, is the tourney run.  If we take him, it'll be as a Dennis-like project in which case I guess I could get with it.  Oubre seems to fall in this category but at least he's still young.  Still, we need someone that can step in and contribute from day 1.

On the Kaminsky kid, nah I'll pass.  Certainly skilled but weak-ish, slow-ish = liability on D and rebounding which are the only 2 areas we'd desperately need him to excel at.  Plus he'll be an old rookie too (low ceiling) just like Payne.

It's all fringe players at 15 and beyond. Nobody to get excited about and nobody really separates themselves from the logjam of marginal players who the Hawks will draft. Everyone says this is such an important pick, but the reality is that player probably will never be any good.

Matt Jones shut Dekker down in the title game. He just hasn't impressed me much. Oubre at 15 would be perfect. I'm just not sold on Booker. Honestly, I think I'd prefer we got with Looney. IMO he can be converted into a long 3 man. Rebounds and plays defensive with range.

Kevon looney Looks like he has a ton of potential. At first I was hesitant with us already having our kawhi in demarre, but now that he looks like a goner looney could be a good replacement. Way more upside at 1/4th the cost of demarre. Then we could target a legit starting sg like matthews In free agency.

Edited by skimaskway23
  • Like 1

Fan of a Big Ten team, and I hope to God that the Hawks stay away from Dekker.  He is a bust waiting to happen.  At best, he is a role player or a decent player off the bench.  I guarantee if he stayed one more season instead of coming out early, he would be a 2nd round pick next season.  He simply vanishes for long periods.  Sure he had a great tournament, but outside of that, he has done literally nothing his entire career.  He shows a few flashes a game maybe than he is unheard of and has no impact on plays for multiple minutes and even sometimes multiple games.  Would be disappointed if we drafted him.

I like Christian Wood and Kevin Looney.  Wood is extremely athletic and he can provide that shot altering player that we need.  He has good range and he has great handles.  He fits perfectly into our scheme, but needs to add some more weight to his frame.  Great on the offensive glass too and rebounding in general.    

Just wanted to mention that Kaminsky isn't undersized. He's 7'1, which would make him the tallest player on our team lol

I agree with Dekker being a bit of a risk for sure though. But the closer we get to the draft the more I feel Oubre won't fall and we'll be looking at tweener forwards (Looney, Harrell, Lyles etc.)

But I'm hoping for the best haha

I like Portis if the Hawks go big. After seeing some film and scouting reports on him I think he would be a good fit if Turner doesn't fall. I don't think Oubre drops to 15. I didn't think about this till now but who does Kaminsky remind you of. Maybe Danny Ferry? Just putting it out there. I think Kaminsky has the smarts and can hit an outside shot something the Hawks failed to do much in the playoffs consistently. I take Kaminsky over Antić any day. Dekker I was a fan of but now I just don't know. He showed real well in the nba drills so did RJ Hunter. Hunter seemed to be the top guy when it came to 3 pt shooting during the NBA drills. I don't know if he can get his own shot off though. Just give me the player with the highest upside whether thats Justin Anderson,Hunter,Portis or whoever. You sohuldn't force a pick. Also remember players like Lamont Green dropped to the 2nd round and I think Kawhi Leonard was in the middle of the 1st round. The Hawks need to find the right player that has been the problem. Other teams find gems why not the Hawks.

They really need to find someone who can contribute to the cause and not yet another All-D league performer who can't get arrested on an NBA court. Being that they're contenders now, they really don't have the time to be grooming someone on the fly who clearly isn't ready for prime time (see Jenks, Payne, Bebe). Whoever they get had better have enough talent, BBIQ, and 'want to' to get the job done. If the guy can't crack the top part of the bench rotation, we have a problem.

As for my preference, I really don't have all that much of one because I rarely pay attention to college ball until March unless my two alma maters are playing (Tennessee and Georgia State). Since there aren't too many viable post players who are going to be available at 15, the wing position is the place where it makes the most sense to address.

For all of those big on Looney:

But there’s an even bigger concern regarding Looney, one that has definitely drawn the attention of NBA teams. Looney has asthma and, according to several NBA officials who have monitored his career since his days at Milwaukee Hamilton High School, it has adversely affected his play. Scouts claim it isn’t unusual for Looney to frequently bender over and catch his breath while on the court and that he doesn’t have the endurance of most players. Racine Journal-Times

• Admin

It's all fringe players at 15 and beyond. Nobody to get excited about and nobody really separates themselves from the logjam of marginal players who the Hawks will draft. Everyone says this is such an important pick, but the reality is that player probably will never be any good.

would u rather draft at 29?

would u rather draft at 29?

To be honest what difference would it make. The team has shown the ability to not draft well regardless of where they pick.

• Premium Member

I'm not a big fan of taking freshmen unless they actually did something significant. Sure, some of those projected to be good eventually prove the projections correct... I just feel like I want to see at least two years' resume, and to my mind, avoid a lot of unnecessary risk.

I'm okay with Dekker because I see a guy who's always active, always around the ball, and I think while he's not a high-ceiling guy, he's also not a low-floor guy. He reminds me a lot of Ginobili in terms of the way he plays, and I think his shooting stroke mechanics predict he will improve beyond his pedestrian college numbers.

Portis excites me a little more than Dekker--the energy is similar, but I see a higher ceiling for him.

The guy that I'm not reading as much about yet on this board, but who impresses me in a big way is Justin Anderson. Thick chest, strong leaper, good wingspan, large hands. Gets it done on both ends of the court, having dramatically improved his shot last season.

Edited by sturt

I'm not a big fan of taking freshmen unless they actually did something significant. Sure, some of those projected to be good eventually prove the projections correct... I just feel like I want to see at least two years' resume, and to my mind, avoid a lot of unnecessary risk.

I'm okay with Dekker because I see a guy who's always active, always around the ball, and I think while he's not a high-ceiling guy, he's also not a low-floor guy. He reminds me a lot of Ginobili in terms of the way he plays, and I think his shooting stroke mechanics predict he will improve beyond his pedestrian college numbers.

Portis excites me a little more than Dekker--the energy is similar, but I see a higher ceiling for him.

The guy that I'm not reading as much about yet on this board, but who impresses me in a big way is Justin Anderson. Thick chest, strong leaper, good wingspan, large hands. Gets it done on both ends of the court, having dramatically improved his shot last season.

I agree re. drafting freshmen.  If they weren't transcendent (relatively speaking) in their 1 year, I can't justify taking them for the whole 'potential' thing.

On Dekker, how often did you see him play?  I think everything you said was true for him during that tourney run but I've read that effort wasn't there in prior years at Wisky.  Unfortunately, I didn't pay any attention to him so I have no idea which is true.  Did you find him to be active, engaged when you saw him play?

Lastly, there is a Justin Anderson thread somewhere around here.  If we take a wing, I like him more than the other candidates.