• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

So Supes, what do we do? What are our options?

NBASupes

Note: This is subject to change. 

We have several options: The hardest thing and one that might not be worth it is resigning DMC first with our cap space and a stud like Edy as the #12 roster. That would give us 25.3 mil in space. Sign DMC to under 8.6 mil and resign Sap to his early bird max and we can keep both players. Since DMC will likely command 10-15 mil in the open market, it's extremely unlikely we can resign Carroll back and Sap. 

Monroe is more likely as he's 15.3 mil but even then it's extremely tight. It's unlikely we can resign DMC unless we value him more than Millsap or the centers on the open market like Monroe. 

So Supes if we sign Sap to a hometown discount of 16.6 mil or Monroe 15.3 how can we improve the team?

We here is the thing. We have the #15 pick, that 1.6 mil. That's the #10 man on the roster. Then Edy, he's the #11 man. So for 525k we have a min spot that has to be there. Of course, it's removed if we sign someone with the cap space. How much cap is left by HF chart: 8,565,377. So for four slots, we have this much money and 2.814 for the room mid level-exception on top of the cap space. That pretty much means we are in the bargain bin club. That's 2,141,344.25 per player and the Room MLE is given to all teams below the cap. While young players and talented A to B players will get paid a handsome salary. 

C level vets and C- to D young players will still likely get crumbs in the FA market. 

Our options are players like Mike Dunleavy Jr, Jared Dudley, Alan Anderson, Gary Neal, Wayne Ellington, Wes Johnson, Jason Richardson, Dorrell Wright, Barbosa, Xavier Henry, Willie Green, Brandon Rush, Al-Farouq Aminu, Tayshaun Prince, Richard Jefferson, Omri Casspi, Landry Fields, Luke Babbitt, Alonzo Gee, Carlos Defino, Carlos Boozer, Ed Davis, Luis Scola, Tyler Hansbrough, Thomas Robinson, Glen Davis, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, Chuck Hayes and resigning Pero Antić. 

We could get gully and use 7.5 mil for a SF but who? Corey Brewer is not worth it and Jae Crowder will likely be matched by Boston. The guys above them a 10 mil a year guys or 10+ and RFA's like Leonard. There are going nowhere. It's unlikely we can get a legit starting SF. Dudley and Dunleavy still have positive value and could start but neither could guard Lebron. Horf or Monroe can't but either. So we would still have some issues. The best plan is to use each bargain bin signing as a legit role player like Thabo was for us. 

Quality: 

1. Previous starting experience and success in the NBA. 

2. Needs to be still in his prime, no has been's like Brand and they have to still be producing, Richard Jefferson is still producing. 

3. If young, they have to show decent BBIQ and talent and have role they could play. They have to fit ball movement based offenses even if they suck in creating their own. 

Players I like: 

Mike Dunleavy Jr

Jared Dudley

Alan Anderson

Gary Neal

Wayne Ellington

Wes Johnson

Jason Richardson

Tayshaun Prince

Matt Bonner

Richard Jefferson

Omri Casspi

Landry Fields I really like Fields. I think he might be one player that could play SF in our system and do well 

Alonzo Gee

Luis Scola

Tyler Hansbrough

Glen Davis

Luc Richard Mbah a Moute

Resigning Pero Antić is an option depending on the price. He's a late July type of signing if we want someone for below 1.5 mil. Him and Bonner should be on the market for a while. 

We four slots, we should vastly improve our depth at the wings and maybe a true PF like Hansbrough or Big Baby Davis. I love Mbah a Monte. DMC is likely lost so we are going to have to improve the sum to truly improve. 

Next option is trade Teague for #6 pick and Nik S. 

Nik makes 2.89 and the #6 pick makes 2.73 mil. This saves us 2.38 mil. Not a lot but it's gives us 10 players now and add the #15 at 1.6 mil and Edy (525k) and that's 12 players. Meaning you have 24-25 mil in cap room. What does this mean? You can sign Monroe at 15.3 and DMC for 9-10 mil and still have the Room MLE available. This might be our best option. With that said, it's unlikely that's enough for DMC. We could stretch provision Mike Scott. That would save us 2.2 mil on our cap and give us just enough to give him 12 mil per which might be enough.

We have options. 

Many posters, including me, believe that it's the system as much as it is the players.

However, the system does require players with athletic ability and high basketball IQ.

The question is, do we really want two or three very high priced players who are very

good in Atlanta but who will demand a boat load of money and can cripple the payroll

much the same way that JJ did when he was here?

• Like 2

Many posters, including me, believe that it's the system as much as it is the players.

However, the system does require players with athletic ability and high basketball IQ.

The question is, do we really want two or three very high priced players who are very

good in Atlanta but who will demand a boat load of money and can cripple the payroll

much the same way that JJ did when he was here?

I agree. This is a system based team more about the sum than the group. We aren't resigning Sap and DMC together. So if it is just one and it's likely Sap, we might as well look at a center instead of Sap and move Al to his position which is PF. Monroe is a center and Horford like he does for Sap can cover for his flaws but unlike Sap, Monroe can defend centers 1v1 and protect the paint better than Al or Sap. He's also 25 years old and cheaper as well as just as good a talent. He's a no brainer for us. Then the rest of the players can be Thabo like role players who can play a role for us. No more Jenkins or Daye's on the roster. Everyone can play at a high level and everyone matters. 

Edited by nbasupes40retired

Ok its going to take some finessing this summer. I cant bring myself to move on from teague even tho I am high on dennis. My question is this...ive seen that trade here and there, but is there any substance to that sacramento trade or is it purely speculation? Because I see it brung up like its on the table

Ok its going to take some finessing this summer. I cant bring myself to move on from teague even tho I am high on dennis. My question is this...ive seen that trade here and there, but is there any substance to that sacramento trade or is it purely speculation? Because I see it brung up like its on the table

Spec. 

Its seems strange that we thought we had a lot of cap space, but really don't - maybe not enough to get both Paul and DMC back.  But consider this - a lot of teams might be in the same boat - or worse.  What matters is what teams are there that need a DMC who also have a lot of cap space, and also think he's what they want?  And a place where he would want to go? I don't have time or interest to look at 30 teams, but there may not be all that many teams out there that are the ideal landing spots.  There was some rumor that he wants to go to NY.  Maybe so, but do the Knicks have any cap space? (I don't know, but thought they were maxed out.)  So things may not be as bad as they seem. (Or not - I guess we will find out in next few months.)

I don't know if 1. Either team would be interested, or 2. if this even makes sense to anyone else besides me, but what if we offered the 76ers Teague, or Schröder and #15th pick for Noel. It gives us a good defender and rebounder at the rim and allows us to sign DMC or Sap back or both or sign one and give us money for a solid wing player.

You know it's the offseason when @nbasuperstar40retired retired is asking himself a question and answering it. Lol.

Good questions though.

You know it's the offseason when @nbasuperstar40retired retired is asking himself a question and answering it. Lol.

Good questions though.

Lmao my thoughts exactly. I initially thought oh wow, who is this poster asking supes, could be his #1 fan moving forward...then I opened up and well....it was supes...:-/

Supes recognize supes ina bang bang ina ina bang bang...

I'll look at Supes post some more and give my plan on what he is saying later but for now no way do I want Antić back. I would either ride with the rookie Tavaras or add Eddy and find a player on the cheap like Hansbrough. Hawks certainly need a tough guy with some fire. Also don't forget trying to find a leader is important. I think the team lacks leaders and don't underestimate those grizzled vets who have experience . Hawks could have used one in the playoffs.

I tend to agree G-M.  I would make an analogy to the St. Louis Baseball Cardinals.  They had an opportunity not long ago to re-sign their slugger to a very big contract that would keep him their until he was ready to retire.  They decided not to and some of the fans were p!ssed for awhile.  Still, they are doing fine now and leading their division.

I realize that individual players tend to mean more in basketball than baseball, but sometimes an organization just has to be smart and not put all their eggs in one basket.

I'm still hoping that we can re-sign both Millsap and DMC though.

What if wet let Millsap go and just resign DMC since we are all spit balling? Sign DMC and Thaddeus Young to deals averaging around 10 mil annually and try to take our remaining 5 million plus the exception in the 2 million range and offer it to Robin Lopez. This is the two deep lineup I'm proposing.

Teague/Schröder

DMC/Korver

Thaddeus/Sefelosha

Horford/Muscala

R.Lopez/Tavares

A much better rebounding and defensive team that's tougher and more athletic on the wings. The only below average defender is Teague. Also gives us more size at the three to defend LeBron.

Lastly this empowers us to take the best player available in the draft at 15 instead of forcing a wing. Although I would take best player available regardless.

Edited by ATLien_
  • Like 1

thaddeus young isnt a SF hes a small ball PF. this has been discussed to death. I seriously dont understand hawksquawk's obsession with wanting him to play SF for us.

Show me the numbers that say he can't play the three position. In NBA you can play what you can defend and I would argue he is better defending 3 ' s than 4's. He offers us much of the skillet Millsap does with a more athletic frame that can play 3 the full season.

My biggest fear with the lineup I proposed is scoring, but I believe with more usage someone would score more. Definitely would look for some bench scoring though.

I want Gasol or LMA like everyone else, but realistic plan B ' s need to be discussed that don't call for unrealistic trades strung together one after another.

Good questions though.

Just wait'll the kg01 self-interview/3rd person manifesto drops ...

Show me the numbers that say he can't play the three position. In NBA you can play what you can defend and I would argue he is better defending 3 ' s than 4's. He offers us much of the skillet Millsap does with a more athletic frame that can play 3 the full season.

My biggest fear with the lineup I proposed is scoring, but I believe with more usage someone would score more. Definitely would look for some bench scoring though.

I want Gasol or LMA like everyone else, but realistic plan B ' s need to be discussed that don't call for unrealistic trades strung together one after another.

He's not a SF. He is literally a small ball PF. 

He's not a SF. He is literally a small ball PF. 

I tend to agree.  Could he be a Sap replacement of sorts?

Edited by kg01