• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Heart and Soul of the Team.

Diesel

• Premium Member

After losing to the Cavs, I am reminded of the passionate plea from Teague to keep Sap and DMC.

I then heard stories of How DMC worked out with Sap and Teague over the offseaosn.  I then heard stories of How DMC would be the one who was the lockerroom leader. 

My point is that it seems like DMC is truly the heart of the team.  This year (contract year or not) was his playoffs.  He showed up when Korver didn't.

I think that we need to make sure that when FAcy starts, we're at DMC's door at 12:01 AM.  We cannot afford to pull some old DFerry let the market decide B.S. with our Heart.

After losing to the Cavs, I am reminded of the passionate plea from Teague to keep Sap and DMC.

I then heard stories of How DMC worked out with Sap and Teague over the offseaosn. I then heard stories of How DMC would be the one who was the lockerroom leader.

My point is that it seems like DMC is truly the heart of the team. This year (contract year or not) was his playoffs. He showed up when Korver didn't.

I think that we need to make sure that when FAcy starts, we're at DMC's door at 12:01 AM. We cannot afford to pull some old DFerry let the market decide B.S. with our Heart.

So you are willing to give DMC 12 million a year?

• Premium Member

There is no 'heart and soul' of the team like mentioned above. I'm not sure that's a good thing. I was kind of bothered by the listless effort during the last game of the season. Nobody really stepped up or showed a sense of urgency. I kind of expected a little more passion or pride during the biggest game of the season?

I then heard stories of How DMC worked out with Sap and Teague over the offseaosn.  I then heard stories of How DMC would be the one who was the lockerroom leader. 

My point is that it seems like DMC is truly the heart of the team.  This year (contract year or not) was his playoffs.  He showed up when Korver didn't.

I think that we need to make sure that when FAcy starts, we're at DMC's door at 12:01 AM.  We cannot afford to pull some old DFerry let the market decide B.S. with our Heart.

You do realize overpaying for DMC basically eliminates us from retaining Millsap during FA?

I agree. ALL great teams have a leader........

• Moderators

DMC is worth $10 mil/yr... just not to the Hawks. No one player makes this team. DMC contributed a lot, but he isn't worth $10 mil to us. We have too many glaring weaknesses such as size inside, bench depth, and a go-to scorer to pay a 3D guy $10 mil. I'd rather chase after Gasol and sign someone that moves Korver to the bench. Gasol and Afflalo instantly fixes all three weaknesses. Trade Scott + Mack for SnT Afflalo and picks. Then:

C - Gasol or other FA center $15 mil

PF - Horford at $12 mil

SF - Thabo at $4 mil

SG - Afflalo at $6.5 mil

PG - Teague at $8 mil

6th - Korver at $5.25 mil

7th - Schröder at $1.7 mil

8th - Bazemore at $2.0 mil

9th - Muscala at $900k

10th - Tavares at $525k

11th - Pero at vet min ($1.3 mil)

12th - 1st round pick ($1.5 mil)

13th - John Jenkins ($1.3 mil)

14th - Lamar Patterson/2nd round pick ($525k)

15th - 3rd PG on vet min ($1.3 mil)

Total Salary:  $61.8 mil

Not sure if Thabo would start over Korver, but this is the roster I'd rather have then DMC at $10 mil and bringing back Sap at $20 mil. $20 mil invested to be the same team? No thanks. I would be comfortable paying DMC around $7 mil, but we'd have to find a suitor for either Korver or Thabo + Bazemore...

• Like 1

DMC is worth $10 mil/yr... just not to the Hawks. No one player makes this team. DMC contributed a lot, but he isn't worth $10 mil to us. We have too many glaring weaknesses such as size inside, bench depth, and a go-to scorer to pay a 3D guy $10 mil. I'd rather chase after Gasol and sign someone that moves Korver to the bench. Gasol and Afflalo instantly fixes all three weaknesses. Trade Scott + Mack for SnT Afflalo and picks. Then:

PF - Horford at $12 mil

SF - Thabo at $4 mil

SG - Afflalo at $6.5 mil

PG - Teague at $8 mil

9th - Muscala at $900k

10th - Tavares at $525k

Total Salary:  $61.8 mil

Not sure if Thabo would start over Korver, but this is the roster I'd rather have then DMC at $10 mil and bringing back Sap at $20 mil. $20 mil invested to be the same team? No thanks. I would be comfortable paying DMC around $7 mil, but we'd have to find a suitor for either Korver or Thabo + Bazemore...

Not sure how you are going to get a center at 15 mil unless it's Monroe who's max is 15.3. In this FA climate, Sap, Lopez, D. Jordan and Gasol are likely getting the max. 

Edited by nbasupes40retired

In fairness, it's easier to show up when you're the last player in the line up that the other team cares about.

I've been very critical of Korver's play... But the other team game plans for him more than they do Carroll. 

Edited by Hotlanta1981
  • Like 2

Demarre wasn't the leader... That was/is Horford.

It definitely wasn't/isn't Horford. I agree with Jay, we don't have a heart and soul. However, DMC was the closest throught out the playoffs.

Edited by Mdizzle5
  • Like 1

Korver is a better fit off the bench though. Afflalo and Thabo locking up the first stringers, while Kyle runs second stringers off screens all day.

Afflalo is a bad defender. Not sure why people believe that he is still even a decent defender.

People seriously underrated how important to our offense. Just look at the on/off numbers for korver, even when he was cold during the playoffs, and you will see that benching him in favor for afflalo is a bad idea.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Not sure how you are going to get a center at 15 mil unless it's Monroe who's max is 15.3. In this FA climate, Sap, Lopez, D. Jordan and Gasol are likely getting the max. 

Depending on what the cap is, giving Gasol $17 mil would be attainable too... Although his max is closer $18.5 mil...

How about bringing back Demarre on a one year deal? Do you think he'd go for such a thing considering the cap spike that is expected in 2016?

PF - Horford at $12 mil

SF - Thabo at $4 mil

SG - Afflalo at $6.5 mil

PG - Teague at $8 mil

9th - Muscala at $900k

10th - Tavares at $525k

Total Salary: $61.8 mil

Now Sap's price us $20 mil???

So with this lineup the only returning player at his position is Teague. There is no way we have 3/5 of a new starting lineup, Al to a new position and we h

nave the same or better success as well as that bench. That is an entirely new team.

Afflalo is a bad defender. Not sure why people believe that he is still even a decent defender.

No need to go to an extreme. Afflalo is a solid defender. Not as great as he once was, but I favor him over Korver in pick n roll and defense off of screens. Afflalo is a bit more athletic than Korver, so maybe that attributes to the advantage.