• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Millsap getting offered by Utah?

NBASupes

Time to lock up Greg Monroe. 

• Moderators

A reprise with the Jazz? If so, what might that mean for Mr. Favors?

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2015/06/jazz-pursue-millsap.html

Millsap, who spent his first seven NBA seasons as a member of the Jazz, and agent DeAngelo Simmons dropped hints at the end of Atlanta’s playoff run that the power forward would like to remain with the Hawks, though Utah has brother Elijah Millsap under contract for two more years. A pursuit of Paul Millsap would represent a sharp turn in Utah’s rebuilding effort, one that’s been patient so far, just two seasons after the team watched him go, at a discount, to Atlanta.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=35046720&nid=304&title=report-jazz-will-actively-pursue-paul-millsap-in-free-agency

It's going to be difficult to pull off. Millsap, an All-Star in his two seasons with the Hawks, would be a tremendous acquisition in talent for the Jazz. But Millsap's minutes would likely suffer compared to other rosters, due to the presence of Derrick Favors and Rudy Gobert in the frontcourt.

On Jan. 3, when the Hawks came to Utah to play the Jazz, Millsap had this to say about the possibility of coming back: "I'm focused on basketball. I'll weigh all options when the season's over with, but I'm happy with where I'm at."

Millsap has a good relationship with Jazz coach Quin Snyder, and credits him with a great deal of his development in year 1 of his Atlanta tenure. Snyder was an assistant with Atlanta at that time. Snyder helped Millsap with "Pick & roll situations, screen in the proper place, rescreens in proper place."

He also felt that Atlanta's offense "suited [him] better" than the Jazz's did under Ty Corbin.

Perhaps the biggest thing in the way of the Jazz signing Millsap is their inability to offer him a max contract unless significant salary shredding moves are made. According to Basketball Insiders, even if the Jazz release all of their non-guaranteed contracts (including Millsap's brother Elijah), the Jazz would only have $16.6 million in cap space.

Paul Millsap's max contract would start at somewhere around $18.6 million. If another team would be willing to offer Millsap a max deal, and there are indications that they would, Millsap would have to give the Jazz a discount in order to sign in Utah.

In other words, I think Millsap signing with the Jazz is pretty unlikely.

~lw3

• Moderators

With Favors there it makes no sense. They would be better off with DMC honestly.  By the way I wonder whether they would entertain a Favors-Millsap double sign and trade.  Bring Favors back to ATL!

It'd just be a single-sign on Sap's part, since Favors is locked down on a team-friendly (IMO) deal through 2018 ($12 million next season, $11 million in 2016-17, $12 million in 2017-18, down from $12.95 million this past season).

~lw3

• Like 1

• Moderators

Aside: Nothing to do with Millsap, just some Twitter-lulz from back in February between Rudy and D-Fave.

~lw3

• Like 1

I call BS...no way in hell Millsap would ever go back to Utah. He would be going to the west, which is tougher, will be a 6th man on a team that's gonna be around .500..no way.

Let's be real, Millsap will be a starter with Utah and it's not even close. I watch the Jazz play and Sap is better than anyone on the Jazz right now.

I'll bet money he doesn't go back.

It'd just be a single-sign on Sap's part, since Favors is locked down on a team-friendly (IMO) deal through 2018 ($12 million next season, $11 million in 2016-17, $12 million in 2017-18, down from $12.95 million this past season).

~lw3

Oops I forgot that Favors already got his contract. I would love Favors in Atlanta.

• Admin

Utah's problem is that they have two offensively limited bigs who play D and are rim protectors.  Sap would be the better compliment to either Favors or Gobert.  

I would do a trade of Sap for Favors in a heartbeat as it works well for both team.  However, Favors value is much higher (age, contract, potential, rim protector).  If we added pieces to make it work I would love for Utah to consider it.  

Utah's problem is that they have two offensively limited bigs who play D and are rim protectors. Sap would be the better compliment to either Favors or Gobert.

I would do a trade of Sap for Favors in a heartbeat as it works well for both team. However, Favors value is much higher (age, contract, potential, rim protector). If we added pieces to make it work I would love for Utah to consider it.

What? You do realize Sap is the all-star here right? Sap is the one who is commanding a near max deal.. What do you mean add pieces?

What? You do realize Sap is the all-star here right? Sap is the one who is commanding a near max deal.. What do you mean add pieces?

Yep, giving away Hawks stuff when there is no need. If Sap wants his max $18 mil AND wants to go to Utah then the only way he gets that and there is via a SnT. We get Favors AND something else.

• Premium Member

Utah's problem is that they have two offensively limited bigs who play D and are rim protectors.  Sap would be the better compliment to either Favors or Gobert.  

I would do a trade of Sap for Favors in a heartbeat as it works well for both team.  However, Favors value is much higher (age, contract, potential, rim protector).  If we added pieces to make it work I would love for Utah to consider it.  

I don't know about that....  Favors potential is starting to wain.   When Millsap was in Utah, there was no doubt that he could play the PF position well.   His problem was a guy named Big Al.  However, Favors is more of a question mark.  Yeah, numbers look good if you look at only numbers... but impact is ???

I would trade Sap for Favors for one reason.  Favors is from Atlanta.  I do like his blocks but I don't know if he gets the impact that we get from Sap.  Especially not stretching the floor.