Great news....we are on Aldridge list!

JTB

I like Sap, but they need help on the boards:

c Aldridge

pf Horford

sf Carroll

sg Korver

pg Teague

Not sure if we'll be able to afford both LMA and DMC unless the new owners are willing to pay the Luxury Tax.

• Like 1

Not sure if we'll be able to afford both LMA and DMC unless the new owners are willing to pay the Luxury Tax.

Why is it that the NBA/CAVALIERS   NBA/HEAT   NBA/THUNDER NBA/CLIPPERS etc, etc. can always mysteriously fit everything under the cap????????  lmao

Edited by atlhawks1

Why is it that the NBA/CAVALIERS   NBA/HEAT   NBA/THUNDER NBA/CLIPPERS etc, etc. can always mysteriously fit everything under the cap????????  lmao

I guess their owners don't care about the Tax.

They are not under the CAP - they are paying the luxury tax....BIIIIIIIIIG difference.

Will our new owners be loosening the purse strings? Time will tell.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

We are no where near the Luxury tax

I know I was responding to Hawks1 regarding Cavs being under the cap which they aren't. Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

This Thread is just weird to me.  We can sign LA with ease if we wanted too.  Posters are coming up with all kinds of excuses or complicated scenario that we would have to do to get the deal when it isn't true.  Just Strange!

Whatever it is, the Hawks better start doing it if they serious about a championship.......

There is more truth in this statement than anything I've read so far today. You don't make omelets without cracking some eggs and you're not pulling in the guys needed to get you over the hump by pinching pennies. The days of looking in Walmart's DVD bin for $2 movies to watch should've been over the instant after Tony Ressler's check cleared his bank account. I don't want to hear anything about the cap or luxury tax affecting them as far as going after whoever is needed to bring home the big belt...and no one else here on this board probably doesn't, either...

• Like 1

This is common knowledge those owners who want to win find ways to get the players they want. The other owners who perhaps just want to make a profit and not go all out for championships you can tell who they are. The owners who want the brass ring most of the time don't mind paying the luxury tax. Its rare you have a team like San Antonio who seems to do everything right but they have a super star ,draft well and will spend wisely in free agency. Then there are teams like Sacramento,Philly, Denver who have owners who must use the team as a tax write off and are not serious about winning championships. 

Will see how serious the new Hawks owners are by the moves they make to the roster. 

There is more truth in this statement than anything I've read so far today. You don't make omelets without cracking some eggs and you're not pulling in the guys needed to get you over the hump by pinching pennies. The days of looking in Walmart's DVD bin for $2 movies to watch should've been over the instant after Tony Ressler's check cleared his bank account. I don't want to hear anything about the cap or luxury tax affecting them as far as going after whoever is needed to bring home the big belt...and no one else here on this board probably doesn't, either...

You know whats interesting? Ressler is a INVESTOR. He and Grant Hill. All their smiles and " oh chucks" aside, during that press conference, the word investment was thrown around plenty of times by both of them. That MEANS, they want a RETURN. How do you get a return in team professional sports? One of two ways OR both:

1. Invest in and own the team infrastructure: team facilities, arena, stadium, etc.

2. Bring in TOP free agents.

Soo, Ressler and Grant, in order to transform the Hawks from a $750 million dollar team, to a 1.5 to 2 billion dollar team, KNOW they got to invest. I heard Grant say it today. That means TOP FREE AGENTS.........No way around it, penny pinching is not gonna increase the value of this franchise........

A lot of people hated Michael Vick, but Arthur Blank LOVED him and still does. Before Vick, the falcons had one of the lower values in the NFL. After Vick, the value took off. The Hawks need a SUPERSTAR or SUPERSTARS to market to increase their value......

Edited by atlhawks1
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

usa-today-8353719.0.jpg

The Hawks have been linked to one of the top free agents on the market in Portland's LaMarcus Aldridge.

The Atlanta Hawks boast a great deal of salary cap flexibility heading into the 2015 off-season, and as a result, some big names could be tied to the organization as potential fits. With that, Portland Trail Blazers big man LaMarcus Aldridge is garnering a great deal of buzz as a possible defector from his current team, and in a piece from Marc Stein and Chris Broussard of ESPN, he is linked as a player who will consider the Hawks in free agency.

On the list of teams Aldridge will consider signing with are the
San Antonio Spurs
Los Angeles Lakers
New York Knicks
Dallas Mavericks
and Atlanta Hawks, sources said.

In addition to Atlanta, Aldridge will reportedly consider the Spurs, Lakers, Knicks and Mavericks, but in the midst of the report, a source indicated that there is a "99.9 percent change" of Aldridge leaving Portland, creating a potential bidding war across the NBA. Aldridge is a free agent who will almost certainly command a "max" deal under the current collective bargaining agreement, but the Hawks are currently well under the salary cap without long-term commitments to either Paul Millsap and DeMarre Carroll, providing plenty of room to fit a potential deal with Aldridge.

In terms of fit, the report had this to say about Aldridge and a possible desire to land with the Hawks and Al Horford:

Atlanta also is on Aldridge's list, as he believes he could potentially form a strong frontcourt tandem with Hawks center Al Horford.

Though Paul Millsap has been an extremely valuable piece across the past two seasons, Aldridge appears to be a step up, as the now 29-year-old just completed in a season in which he averaged 23.4 points and 10.2 rebounds per game. A potential pairing with Horford in the frontcourt could be devastating given the versatility and length of both players, and it is easy to see why Aldridge, who shoots the ball well from the perimeter, would covet the opportunity to play under Mike Budenholzer.

Regardless, this is a very early report considering free agency does not "open" until July 1, and it should be taken with a rather significant grain of salt. Still, this is an instance where one of the top available free agents has been linked to the Atlanta Hawks, and in a situation where the salary cap makes it a legitimate possibility, there is room for optimism.

Stay tuned.

• Like 1

You know whats interesting? Ressler is a INVESTOR. He and Grant Hill. All their smiles and " oh chucks" aside, during that press conference, the word investment was thrown around plenty of times by both of them. That MEANS, they want a RETURN. How do you get a return in team professional sports? One of two ways OR both:

1. Invest in and own the team infrastructure: team facilities, arena, stadium, etc.

2. Bring in TOP free agents.

Soo, Ressler and Grant, in order to transform the Hawks from a $750 million dollar team, to a 1.5 to 2 billion dollar team, KNOW they got to invest. I heard Grant say it today. That means TOP FREE AGENTS.........No way around it, penny pinching is not gonna increase the value of this franchise........

A lot of people hated Michael Vick, but Arthur Blank LOVED him and still does. Before Vick, the falcons had one of the lower values in the NFL. After Vick, the value took off. The Hawks need a SUPERSTAR or SUPERSTARS to market to increase their value......

Welp, that didnt take long.........I was right, they working on the value of this franchise already............

http://markbradley.blog.ajc.com/2015/06/25/hawks-fans-are-you-ready-for-a-new-arena/?ecmp=ajc_social_twitter_2014_markbradley_sfp