• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Are the Hawks going to lose the rights to Walter Tavares?

BraveSeminole

I just read an article (Actually, I think it was right here on Hawskquawk!) that gave me the impression that there is a very good chance that Tavares will be signing a contract with one of the European teams and if he does this article made it sound like not only would he not be coming to the NBA anytime soon but the Hawks could (Would?) lose their rights to him!  Hopefully, I read this article WRONG!  I would hate to see the Hawks lose his rights!!!

• Premium Member

Can't lose his rights.

Could have a David Andersen situation emerge--didn't come over for many years, and even then, his rights ended up being traded to the Rockets.

But for now, I'd consider it posturing. And indeed, it might be too early to bring him over just yet anyway. We're not the Sixers.

I heard Vivlamore on 92.9 the other day, and they asked him about Tavares.  He said that Tavares could not even play on our Summer League team unless we signed him to a contract first.  It's embarrassing, but I can't remember what he said the reasons for that would be. Old age setting in.

Your posting man, please stop.

Some people here are experts at talking about players who haven't watched in a game in their lives.

And Tavares hasn't said that he wants/will play for an Euroleague team. The only thing he has said is that he has a good life there in Las Palmas so he would be ok with staying there but going to a better team would also be ok for him. That's like saying anything.

What Canarias media is saying is that the ATLANTA Hawks WANT Tavares to play for an Euroleague team.

Edited by Ebert

Some people here are experts at talking about players who haven't watched in a game in their lives.

And Tavares hasn't said that he wants/will play for an Euroleague team. The only thing he has said is that he has a good life there in Las Palmas so he would be ok with staying there but going to a better team would also be ok for him. That's like saying anything.

What Canarias media is saying is that the ATLANTA Hawks WANT Tavares to play for an Euroleague team.

Been watching enough basketball to know that if the Hawks felt he was in their long term plans, they would be bringing him over here for the upcoming season. They dont REALLY want long term projects at this point, and thats what Tavares is.  Thats why they shipped Adreian Payne out of there.  What was the name of that other kid that needed to gain weight that was drafted in the first round, only to ship him right out of here, cant remember his name. The Hawks want basketball high I.Q. guys that they can teach fast. 

nogueira-hawks.jpg?w=320

Edited by atlhawks1

Been watching enough basketball to know that if the Hawks felt he was in their long term plans, they would be bringing him over here for the upcoming season. They dont REALLY want long term projects at this point, and thats what Tavares is.  Thats why they shipped Adreian Payne out of there.  What was the name of that other kid that needed to gain weight that was drafted in the first round, only to ship him right out of here, cant remember his name. The Hawks want basketball high I.Q. guys that they can teach fast. 

nogueira-hawks.jpg?w=320

Yes, because Dennis has never been a long term project...

Nogueira started to have a lot of injuries once the Hawks forced him to add a lot of weight.

• Like 2

Been watching enough basketball to know that if the Hawks felt he was in their long term plans, they would be bringing him over here for the upcoming season. They dont REALLY want long term projects at this point, and thats what Tavares is. Thats why they shipped Adreian Payne out of there. What was the name of that other kid that needed to gain weight that was drafted in the first round, only to ship him right out of here, cant remember his name. The Hawks want basketball high I.Q. guys that they can teach fast.

nogueira-hawks.jpg?w=320

You are missing a very big point in all of this though,

Even if the Hawks have every intention of bringing him over the decision is not left solely to them. If he is comfortable in his locale and is being offered something like 3 million to continue to play there then that presents a bit of a complication for a team expecting him to come overseas and play for considerably less, no?

Even if they decide they'll match that price it creates considerable risk not just from guaranteeing that amount to a 2nd rounder but because that amount would either have to come out of cap space or an exception, something that is tough given the current cap crunch going on with the team's other FAs.

• Like 2

You are missing a very big point in all of this though,

Even if the Hawks have every intention of bringing him over the decision is not left solely to them. If he is comfortable in his locale and is being offered something like 3 million to continue to play there then that presents a bit of a complication for a team expecting him to come overseas and play for considerably less, no?

Even if they decide they'll match that price it creates considerable risk not just from guaranteeing that amount to a 2nd rounder but because that amount would either have to come out of cap space or an exception, something that is tough given the current cap crunch going on with the team's other FAs.

Gran Canaria payroll may be less than 3M so... no, he's not getting a big contract there.

Only a few players in Europe make 3M. The highest paid player in Real Madrid is Rudy Fernandez with 2.7M and in Barcelona Ante Tomic with 3M. Some teams from other countries like Fenerbache or CSKA may pay 3M for some players but only for 1 or 2.

He would probably earn 1.5M or so.

If you read my previous post, the Atlanta Hawks want Tavares to play for an Euroleague team. Rumors say that Fenerbache may want him. That would be great for him. His coach is Zeljko Obradovic, one of the best. He could improve a lot there and would also fight for the Euroleague.

• Like 1

Gran Canaria payroll may be less than 3M so... no, he's not getting a big contract there.

Only a few players in Europe make 3M. The highest paid player in Real Madrid is Rudy Fernandez with 2.7M and in Barcelona Ante Tomic with 3M. Some teams from other countries like Fenerbache or CSKA may pay 3M for some players but only for 1 or 2.

If you read my previous post, the Atlanta Hawks want Tavares to play for an Euroleague team. Rumors say that Fenerbache may want him. That would be great for him. His coach is Zeljko Obradovic, one of the best. He could improve a lot there and would also fight for the Euroleague.

Why yes 3 million is the upper echelon salary but it served as an example mostly. That was a predominant reason why David Andersen was reluctant to come overseas as I can't remember his exact quote but it was along the lines of he isn't going to take a pay cut just for the opportunity to play in the NBA. If Edy can secure 1.5 mil or even less then that is surely greater than the 400k minimum here which would be an enticement for him to stay and then the Hawks won't and don't have a particular desire to reach a deal with him yet because signing him eats into other resources which are at a premium at the moment. All this is to say, there are other factors that will influence the current decision on him beyond just the perception of his talent or if and when he would be able to contribute, as in don't call him a bust yet.
  • Like 1

Is that 3M in dollars or euros? I find it hard to believe that the amount would be in dollars especially given how Josh Childress had something along the lines of a 3 year $20M contract. Then add into it that Josh didn't have to pay taxes, lodging, and maybe a few other hefty expenses, the difference becomes much greater.

Now granted the Euro was much stronger against the Dollar way back around 2008-2010, so my view may be a little tilted. The last time I looked deeply into the Euro Leagues and their salaries was around Childress's time there because, well that's the last time the Hawks really had something impact them with a Euro flavor (Bebe was such a nutso that he was willing to pay for a buyout, so I never considered that to be something to look into).

Edited by hawksfanatic

Oh and the answer to the thread's question is NO. We won't lose his rights. And there's a difference between a "Summer Contract" and a Player Contract. Edy does not need to sign a Player Contract to participate in the Summer League. So Vivlamore is talking right out of his ass:

ace-ventura-ass-talkin-o.gif

and if you want to push back against me on "hey na man like he's right!" then as a nice STFU we could just examine Sergiy Gladyr who participated in the Hawks Summer League in 2009, 2010, and 2013. And guess whose rights the Hawks still own? Ah that's right, Sergiy Gladyr.

Oh and the answer to the thread's question is NO. We won't lose his rights. And there's a difference between a "Summer Contract" and a Player Contract. Edy does not need to sign a Player Contract to participate in the Summer League. So Vivlamore is talking right out of his ass:

and if you want to push back against me on "hey na man like he's right!" then as a nice STFU we could just examine Sergiy Gladyr who participated in the Hawks Summer League in 2009, 2010, and 2013. And guess whose rights the Hawks still own? Ah that's right, Sergiy Gladyr.

Well somebody started the day on a positive note...lol

Is that 3M in dollars or euros? I find it hard to believe that the amount would be in dollars especially given how Josh Childress had something along the lines of a 3 year $20M contract. Then add into it that Josh didn't have to pay taxes, lodging, and maybe a few other hefty expenses, the difference becomes much greater.

Now granted the Euro was much stronger against the Dollar way back around 2008-2010, so my view may be a little tilted. The last time I looked deeply into the Euro Leagues and their salaries was around Childress's time there because, well that's the last time the Hawks really had something impact them with a Euro flavor (Bebe was such a nutso that he was willing to pay for a buyout, so I never considered that to be something to look into).

Euros. And... yes, euros and dollars are right now pretty equal thanks to Mr. Draghi...

Childress was the best paid in Europe. He earned something like € 4M . In Spain when we talk about basketball  players we talk before taxes. I's difficult to really know when you talk about a player from other country if it is before taxes or after taxes.

The problem was that Olympiakos was the team that paid the highest salaries but due to some problems their payroll is much cheaper now. Same for Khimki that used to play higher salaries. I remember that Jorge Garbajosa earned in Khimki like 3M euros but they are now spending less.

I was curious so I searched why Olympiakos is paying now less. And it seems that, as you said, Childress was earning €4M after taxes. It seems that back in 2010, the income tax went up from 20% to 45% in Greece so they couldn't afford that amount of money anymore.

That list is from a year ago:

top40-mejores-pagados.jpg

That list is not actualized and may have some errors. Some players like Tomic or Sergio Rodriguez are earning much more right now. But can give you an idea. Some salaries there are before taxes and some others after taxes. Probably those CSKA salaries are after taxes, same for Olympiakos, and I'm sure that Barcelona and Real Madrid salaries are before taxes.

What the?.....C'mon man, lololol