• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks aint serious about a championship........

atlhawks1

Spending the money to go over the cap when you have your own free agents and their bird rights to pay in order to do that is one thing. But you can't spend over the cap when you aren't in that position, and we aren't. Unfortunately it doesn't matter how much Ressler may WANT to pay, he's restricted in doing so by the rules of the salary cap for this season.

Where Ressler paying over the cap will become useful is in future seasons when we have to resign Horford, Dennis, Muscala, and all the rest of our players still on team friendly contracts. But it helps us exactly none this season.

@Static

Edited by alejandro09

• Premium Member

We tried under Ferry and now Budcox to get a superstar. They are not going to sign here. The last truly legit superstar FA we had was Deke and he was only elite on one side of the court. Dwight Howard and CP3 could have been here, with Horford, Teague and DMC. Think about the team we'd have then.

Ok, now that the tears are over that is not going to happen. Frankly I don't think the Hawks will ever be a name franchise that can bring in a superstar as a free agent.

Our team is what it is. They brought back Millsap so we are in the 45-50 wins if we can find a starting SF somewhere. Then they will pay Horford insane money next offseason and we can talk about not having cap space to go after anyone.

• Like 1

We tried under Ferry and now Budcox to get a superstar. They are not going to sign here. The last truly legit superstar FA we had was Deke and he was only elite on one side of the court. Dwight Howard and CP3 could have been here, with Horford, Teague and DMC. Think about the team we'd have then.

Ok, now that the tears are over that is not going to happen. Frankly I don't think the Hawks will ever be a name franchise that can bring in a superstar as a free agent.

Our team is what it is. They brought back Millsap so we are in the 45-50 wins if we can find a starting SF somewhere. Then they will pay Horford insane money next offseason and we can talk about not having cap space to go after anyone.

in past seasons I would have agreed, but I think Bud just wanted his guys back and didn't pursue any of the big name guys- besides aldridge what big name would have been better than sap anyway?  (I will admit, I did want me some wesley matthews)

• Premium Member

in past seasons I would have agreed, but I think Bud just wanted his guys back and didn't pursue any of the big name guys- besides aldridge what big name would have been better than sap anyway?  (I will admit, I did want me some wesley matthews)

If M Gasol or Love had a brain they would have come to Atlanta. It is a travesty of basketball goodness they decided to stick in their current teams.

• Like 2

Then they will pay Horford insane money next offseason and we can talk about not having cap space to go after anyone.

This is one of my problems with the Millsap contract. Horford deserves to be our highest paid , assuming we dont land a superstar. So we're really going to have to cough up for Horf. Thats a lot of money for an undersized front court.

• Premium Member

We should be o.k.  I was concerned about big man depth and now we have it.  I will take Splitter over Antić any day of the week and twice on Sunday.  I'm satisfied with this team.  If Edy comes over, I will be ecstatic!

This is one of my problems with the Millsap contract. Horford deserves to be our highest paid , assuming we dont land a superstar. So we're really going to have to cough up for Horf. Thats a lot of money for an undersized front court.

It's all in the timing. Is Steph Curry the highest paid player on his team? You rail about Cleveland paying their own players and complain when we pay Sap.

Horford will get what he's due next season.

Man, im gonna say this over and over. If the Hawks were SERIOUS about championships, we wouldve heard news that THEY were looking at Aldridge, Gasol, Green, etc. etc. etc. Same ole, same ole. Ferry did the SAME thing. Carroll and Millsap were nobodies. Ferry had a CHUNK of cap space to work with.

I GET the building around a SYSTEM. I GET IT. Thats not the problem. You STILL need PLAYERS. As great as the triangle offense is, it STILL needed a Michael Jordan, a Kobe Bryant, a Shaquille Oneal, etc. to WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS. We saw that in the playoffs, you STILL need SUPERSTARS. Yeah, it was a feel good story. I loved it. A team of castoffs winning 60 games, etc. but they got DESTROYED in the playoffs. Even if Thabo was there, they wouldve lost.

Have yall forgot:

Tooeasy.gif

If boogie Cousins dont come thru that door in a trade, or Green, etc. its the same ole, same ole 40 plus year Atlanta Hawks not winning a championship, wait till next year, we building, blah, blah, blah.........

I wouldve sat DMC and Sap down WITH MR. big mouth Ressler who CLAIM he gonna spend money, and told all of them, we gonna sign you and go HARD after Aldridge, Green, etc. You ADD to your stack, not take away. I wouldve been dumping contracts left and right to make all that happen. Every NBA analyst on tv has been saying ALL DAY that THIS off season was the off season to over pay your free agents, because of the new TV contracts coming out next year will make these max signings look like chump change.

Everybody can do something: Miami, Cleveland, Clippers, everybody can figure out how to pay everybody except the Hawks. Ressler aint spending no money. He gonna spruce up Phillips or get a new arena, increase the value and sell them within 10 years. He is about INVESTING. He shouldve been the FIRST owner out there kicking down top free agents doors, to make a impression in the NBA that the Hawks are serious, but they not.

Hey, I'll be honest man idk if this is the team for you. We just won 60 games, sent 4 players to the all-star game and made history multiple times this year. We legit accomplished something Jordan's Bulls hadn't even done. Yet here is yet another post complaining about a lack of star power. Superstars don't guarantee you anything anymore. This ain't the 80's and 90's. Gasol, Aldridge, Cousins... They can't get you to the finals off name, they can't even get you to the playoffs these days.

I don't understand how people complain about stars when stars can't even guarantee you rings. LeBron himself has won 2 rings OUT OF SIX FINALS APPEARANCES. We made the ECF without a shoe deal or a bunch of commercials to for our players. We won 60 GAMES without ESPN showing us love every night.

If you can't handle losing in the ECF with a 60 win team without an all-star, odds are you can't handle not making the playoffs with two super-stars or losing in the finals 3 or 4 times.

• Like 1

Morons like you make good posters run from this board.

In the name of political correctness I'll probably be banned for speaking the truth. Heaven forbid a moron get his feelings hurt.

Catch y'all next season.

This is very true.

• Like 1