• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks are pretty well done

Vol4ever

• Premium Member

My guess is we're waiting and ready to pounce if something opens up as a result of some of the remaining FA moves, but otherwise, probably will let some of the FA money dry up and see what's left of the field to make a deal for a back-up SF.

The only way we are done is if Bud knows Thabo is ready from day 1 to start the season.

And I really prefer Thabo off the bench, so we still need someone.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

Seriously let lamar patterson or terren petteway fight for a spot

Well, actually, don't we have TWO slots to fill at SF, not just one?... so even were we to acquire someone else--and really, I think we will, but that it just doesn't HAVE to be a starting-caliber guy (and it probably CAN'T be anyhow by virtue of our cap situation)--those guys will get a shot.

Just remember to keep in mind that with Splitter here to soak up some of the center minutes, and Muscala looking to take more backup minutes at PF and perhaps C, that will allow Millsap to spend some of his minutes at SF during the season.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Yes, it could. I'm not ruling it out.

What I'm thinking, for what it matters, is that you'll CHARACTERISTICALLY have on the floor some combination of two of these in the low post:

Sap, Horf and Split

...and these in some combination of two of these at the wings:

THjr, Korver and Thabo

...and of course, one of these guys at the point:

Teague, Dennis

Beyond that, Scott and Moose will be the next guys up in the front court, Bazemore and To-Be-Named will be the next guys up at wing, and of course, Mack at PG.

Edited by sturt

The only way we are done is if Bud knows Thabo is ready from day 1 to start the season.

And I really prefer Thabo off the bench, so we still need someone.

I'm torn on this one. I feel that Thabo should legitimately be considered for the starting small forward position UNLESS he is injured. Reasons are as follows:

1-I feel like since we signed Thabo in the middle of July last season that he never had a chance to get acclimated to Bud's style, and even if he did, he was given half the time to prepare as players who had been with Bud.

2- He was coming off an injury with okc and once again was injured with us throughout the season or at least on and off.

3- The games that Thabo played for us, we were 50-14 if I'm not mistaken, I know the winning percentage was very high for us as a team.

4- We hang out hats on defense right? If so, why not unleash a pitbull on the best player of the opposing team EVERY night.

5- Thabo was drafted in 2006, he is 31 years old and should be in his prime. Also is doesn't hurt that he is the ideal size for a prototypical small forward at 6'7" 220 pounds.

Having said all of the above, I'm still torn about this solely because of his injuries in recent years, as well as keeping him fresh for the playoffs and limiting his regular season minutes to 25 mpg.

I'm torn...

@sturt @NBASupes

Edited by Spud2Nique

Yes, it could. I'm not ruling it out.

What I'm thinking, for what it matters, is that you'll CHARACTERISTICALLY have on the floor some combination of two of these in the low post:

Sap, Horf and Split

...and these in some combination of two of these at the wings:

THjr, Korver and Thabo

...and of course, one of these guys at the point:

Teague, Dennis

Beyond that, Scott and Moose will be the next guys up in the front court, Bazemore and To-Be-Named will be the next guys up at wing, and of course, Mack at PG.

I think it's pretty much guaranteed Muscala gets regular minutes in the rotation this year. So, I'd say the frontcourt players we'll see will be 2 of:

Horford, Millsap, Splitter, Muscala (with minutes distributed in that order). [Millsap probably 20m @ PF / 10m @ SF]

I hope we never see Scott take the court again, and I hope he's traded; but even if he does play it wont be in front of Muscala who has passed him in the rotation.

Wings = some combination of 2 of these:

Korver, Thabo, Bazemore, Hardaway, Millsap (with minutes distributed in that order) Assuming we don't add another quality SF.

Hardaway isn't going to start the season ahead of Bazemore in the rotation. Baze has earned the trust of the coaches already. Hardaway hasn't yet. Depending on Thabo's injury, Baze might even be a starter until Thabo is fully healthy. Of course this all assumes we don't add another SF, which I hope we will add.

• Premium Member

The moves that have been made pretty well ties things up for us imo.   Thabo will be your starter at the SF position. 

Teague

Korver

Thabo

Sap

Horf

Thanknyou....

We will play our 2s 3s & 4s  interchangably so we need not grab anybody else.  Baze, ThJr and Scott will handle the SF spot until Thabo returns.

HJr

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I don't think we're done done. We're going to pick up another wing, and I'm almost sure of that. We're just going to let the market cool down a bit, let some people spend all their money, then get the best bargain remaining.

EDIT... sorry... didn't realize I'd already said as much in this thread... I basically just double-posted.

Edited by sturt